Esotic Shift Light

Apps Esotic Shift Light V1.17

Login or Register an account to download this content
Does anybody know of a drag strip in AC longer than 2000km? Some of the cars can't get up to max speed in the top gear with that amount of track. :(

Edit: this may not be relevant. I was testing the stock C7 on the EndlessFloor and 7th gear is slower than 6th gear (probably due to lack of available torque and wind resistance at 280+ kph).

Last edited:
Currently working on adding the cars from the JDM pack. Should have an updated release (with new features) soonish.

Cheers,

Esotic

Esotic updated Esotic Shift Light with a new update entry:

JDM + all other missing cars, ignoreRecentTrack

The settings now contains entries for all the missing additional tuned vehicles (dtm, s1, s3, etc) and the JDM DLC.

There's also an additional option in the INI to ignore the recent track and config when running learning mode at the drag strip.

maxRPM is now saved per vehicle in the INI to assist with setting shiftRPM values. In learning mode at the drag strip you should rev the car to max RPM in neutral before starting your first lap.

Read the rest of this update entry...

skinable per vehicle

The shift light is now "skinable" per vehicle. I have attached two images that show the 458 interior with no shift light, and then with the "skinned" shift light to help it blend in with the dash. The 458 entry from the settings.ini is shown below for reference. The 458GearIndicator folder within the EsoticShiftLight folder View attachment 137967 View attachment 137968 contains the Gimp templates I used to make the PNGs. How well these particular PNGs work with your interior...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Here's an example of modding the shift light app that I did for some league racing:

And this is the INI entry for the car:
[nagp_mercedes_amg_gt]
minrpm = 4000.0
warnrpm = 6450.0
shiftrpm = 6650.0
maxgear = 6
maxrpm = 7201.7
gear1shiftrpm = 6344.3
gear2shiftrpm = 6482.7
gear3shiftrpm = 6755.7
gear4shiftrpm = 6771.9
gear5shiftrpm = 6820.0
gear6shiftrpm = 6800.0
customappwidth = 190
customappheight = 120
customfontoffset = -4
customfontoffsetx = 0
customfontsizemultiplier = 2.6
customfont = digital

As I was driving the vehicle I was noticing the shift/rpm data in the dash itself were interfering with the shift light app, so I initially covered it up with some apps, but the gear number was too small, so I decided to "go big" with the shift app, and it may seem odd at first, but I find it very easy to read when driving at speed. I may end up making the colors dimmer to tone them down some, but this is a good example of modding on a per car basis.

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic

If you want the Green for Minimum and Yellow for Warning shift lights be sure to enable them in the INI.

showmin = 1
showwarn = 1

I've not been using them lately, so the latest version of the default settings.ini has them disabled.

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic

hi there, I am interested in finding out more about your app to use, it is a brilliant idea, does it have potential to learn automatically from the car you drive or pick and write values? whichever value from telemetry from AC? and do the names of the cars in the INI file correspond with the names of the folder of cars in the game?
since this car: [nagp_mercedes_amg_gt] in your ini and in AC officially is: ks_mercedes_amg_gt3
how do you get these values if i would want to do this for all my AC vehicles...just to know the correct way of doing it and how to apply? finding out?
minrpm = 4000.0
warnrpm = 6450.0
shiftrpm = 6650.0
maxgear = 6
maxrpm = 7201.7
gear1shiftrpm = 6344.3
gear2shiftrpm = 6482.7
gear3shiftrpm = 6755.7
gear4shiftrpm = 6771.9
gear5shiftrpm = 6820.0
gear6shiftrpm = 6800.0

thanks again for your efforts and sharing app with us.

The tutorial on using the "Auto Learning Mode" for the gear1shiftrpm, gear2shiftrpm, etc is here:

The maxrpm value is recorded by the app into the INI based on the maximum value it reads from Assetto Corsa. MaxGear in the app defaults to 6. If you use the autolearning mode it will set it to any higher value, but it does not know when a car has a maxgear less than 6. I have put in values for all the default and DLC cars in AC.

I set the shiftrpm to match the shift point suggested by the gear/rpm app in AC. The yellow is usually several hundred rpm below shift, and green should be somewhere just below the RPM value right after shifting.

do the names of the cars in the INI file correspond with the names of the folder of cars in the game?
Yes. NAGP is a racing league I have joined, so the [nagp_mercedes_amg_gt] is a car from the leagues racing pack we use on Thursday evenings. It's not publicly available, but it's what I race in every Thursday so it seemed relevant to use as an example of ways to mod/use the shift light app. You could try copying the values from the NAGP version of the AMG to the KS version of the AMG, but the default gearing and potentially different horsepower and torque curves may affect their usefulness.

I should probably make another video where I talk about shifting theory in terms of speed and fuel consumption. :)

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic

I set the shiftrpm to match the shift point suggested by the gear/rpm app in AC.

FYI, the gears app turning red has nothing to do with an optimum/suggested shift point, its basically just a warning that you're about to hit the limiter / damage the engine. :O_o:

Granted, in many cars the optimum shift point is near the limiter, but e.g. 488 gt3 has a shift point of 7900 rpm in the app, with max revs of 8053.6, but it loses a lot of power and torque past 7000rpm so you should infact shift at ~6900rpm, which is when the cockpit shift lights all turn red.
Or the SF15-T, that has max revs of 15k, but you're supposed to shift around 11k since the F1 fuel flow limits effectively cap the useful revs to ~11k, which is actually the minrpm you have set in the ini for that car. :p

The car cockpits/steering wheels sometimes have shift lights, those tend to be correct, but the kunos gears app is unfortunately quite rubbish due to the lack of any indicator for appropriate shift point. :(

FYI, the gears app turning red has nothing to do with an optimum/suggested shift point, its basically just a warning that you're about to hit the limiter / damage the engine. :O_o:

Granted, in many cars the optimum shift point is near the limiter, but e.g. 488 gt3 has a shift point of 7900 rpm in the app, with max revs of 8053.6, but it loses a lot of power and torque past 7000rpm so you should infact shift at ~6900rpm, which is when the cockpit shift lights all turn red.
Or the SF15-T, that has max revs of 15k, but you're supposed to shift around 11k since the F1 fuel flow limits effectively cap the useful revs to ~11k, which is actually the minrpm you have set in the ini for that car. :p

The car cockpits/steering wheels sometimes have shift lights, those tend to be correct, but the kunos gears app is unfortunately quite rubbish due to the lack of any indicator for appropriate shift point. :(

Thanks for the heads up. It's been a bit of a chore to put in the default values for all the cars, and I was attempting to find a shortcut method for determining a good default. I'll go back and update the cars you mentioned and also look for other vehicles with a shift light on the dash. :)

Running the auto-learn process for all the cars in the game would take more free time than I happen to have at the moment. :p

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic

Hey Esotic, would you be interested integrating you app with Content Manager?
I asked the question of x4fab if he could look at it and his response was
"Not sure I know how to calculate them properly… Or if format won’t be changed with CM crashing everything.
I wonder if EsoticShiftLight’s dev would want to help integrating it? If anything, as usual, CM is an opensource app, push requests are more than welcome. :)"
This was to make the shift lights rpm get calculated automatically using the graph to get the ideal change.
Your call but I thought it would be a good idea.;)
Love the app btw.

proper transparency support

The app should now allow you to have a fully transparent shift light until the red shift light comes on. This is an example of how you'd get that working.

[bmw_m3_e30_gra]
minrpm = 6000.0
warnrpm = 7800.0
shiftrpm = 8000.0
maxgear = 5
maxrpm = 8240.1
usepngs = 1
showmin = 0
showwarn = 0
showgear = 0
customappwidth = 36
customappheight = 36