Errors and Crashes on Launch

Picked up rFactor 2 right before the Winter Sale ended... Won't run.

Launches, auto subscribes to the workshop items, downloads and syncs those. Then when I click "singleplayer" I get an error dialog window with "Error creating default shader". And after clicking okay on that I get "Error setting video mode". And finally after clicking okay on that, the program stops responding.

I tried to do some searching about the web but there's never a concrete solution I could find or threads with no followups or people that it just magically fixed. I've tried all the various suggestions I could find though.

Verified cache integrity on Steam.
Deleted and redownloaded/installed.
Deleted user config, player, and shader files.
Tried various AA, sync, windowed/borderless/fullscreen, settings.
Tried 32bit.
Running the exe as administrator in Windows.

None worked.

Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

For what its worth my problem seems to have been with some permission setting along the way AND my install directory. I have my Steam games installed on a secondary HDD. And for whatever reason rFactor 2 did not like the naming of the directory. I contacted rF2 support directly and that was the last idea to try. I made a second Steam directory just named "test" on my secondary HDD and the game ran fine there. Then I tried in on my primary again (had tried that earlier before fiddling with permissions and stuff) and it now worked on C:\ as well. But still wouldn't fire up in that original directory where my other games are on my secondary. So I dunno. Game works now though! I hope nobody else runs into the same problem but consider changing your directory if you do.

According to support; "Error creating default shader" is caused by limited space (HD, page file, memory) or permissions or path being too long.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 296 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 424 39.7%