Eric Sidney "Sid" Watkins: 1928 - 2012

Chris Jenkins

Driving til the wheels fall off
Im reading on Twitter that unfortunately, Professor Sid Watkins, who was a pioneer in the safety developments in modern day F1 has sadly passed away.
A legend of the Motorsport world, that will be truly missed by all I'm sure!

Rest in peace sir.

R.I.P.

This guy has saved countless people's lives and could arguably the the best man ever to be involved in Formula 1 or Motorsports for that matter. It's a shame to see him pass away, however the silver lining is he got to accomplish everything he wanted to do in his life and not many people can say that.

Dear motorsport community,

as for those who have not yet come to know it, the former head of the on-track medical team of the Formula 1, Sid Watkins, has died last night.

Watkins was famous for saving the lives of many drivers, including Karl Wendlinger and Mika Hakkinen, but he was massively admired among the Formula 1 drivers for his achievements in increasing the safety of drivers. Furthermore, he was known for his deep friendship with Ayrton Senna, whose life he desperately tried to safe after the Brazilian suffered fatal injuries at Imola.

The Prof, as he was usually called, passed away on September 12th at the age of 84, leaving behind his wife and his six children as well as a saddened but grateful motorsport community.

I want to express my deepest compassion with his family and his many friends.

Rest in peace, Sid Watkins.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back