F1 2011 Engine wear -> power loss

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
At what % of engine wear does the loss of power become noticable?
I have an enigne at 87% (after 3 whole GPs) and I'm wondering if I could use it in one more race without being low on power.
I guess I could take it to Monza, as the circuit doesn't require accelerating from very low speeds.

I guess I could take it to Monza, as the circuit doesn't require accelerating from very low speeds.

Why? You want a fresh engine for Monza since you will be at full throttle for most of the lap!

I'll assume you're racing long weekend, so you should use this engine for practices only (keeping in mind your gearing might be affected while doing setup). However, be aware of potentially screwing up R&D objectives. If you go to a new GP and you're given R&D to do then use the current engine to complete the R&D before switching to the practice engine for P2. Complete P2 and P3's R&D sessions before switching to a race engine. That should get you your R&D completed while still allowing you to use the practice engine.

I haven't bothered with this process since I haven't dived into career mode yet so I can't say if this works or not. If you're worried about saving your engines you could practice in Grand Prix mode so that all you have to do in Career is R&D and qualifying on your engine before the race.

Why? You want a fresh engine for Monza since you will be at full throttle for most of the lap!
Exactly, so you don't need that much power for accelerating from almost halt, like in, say, Monaco.
Besides, I'm in a Lotus - I won't be making any max speed records anyway :p

However, be aware of potentially screwing up R&D objectives. If you go to a new GP and you're given R&D to do then use the current engine to complete the R&D before switching to the practice engine for P2. Complete P2 and P3's R&D sessions before switching to a race engine. That should get you your R&D completed while still allowing you to use the practice engine.
That's what I've been doing so far and I haven't had any problems with R&D. Btw, you can't change the engine during Qualifying sessions, right? It needs to be done during practice?

Exactly, so you don't need that much power for accelerating from almost halt, like in, say, Monaco.
Besides, I'm in a Lotus - I won't be making any max speed records anyway :p
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this:D
That's what I've been doing so far and I haven't had any problems with R&D. Btw, you can't change the engine during Qualifying sessions, right? It needs to be done during practice?
Good to know that works, thanks. Yes you can only change engines in Practice.

I am with glight on this one. Any track where you spend a high percentage of your time at high throttle settings, deserve the best engine. To me it's the gearbox you would worry about at tracks like Monaco, but we don't have to think about that in this game.

At Monaco it's short bursts of high power and a lots of braking, so the older engine should be selected IMHO, at Monza you would be spending a lot of time at continuous full throttle.

But hey, different strokes for different folks ;) :D

I wouldn't change my engine whenever there's an R&D in progress, I'm pretty sure it's caused me to fail one at Montreal. When I got it again at Nürburgring, I didn't change any, and this time passed it fine.

So far I've had 6 R&D sessions and I passed all of them even though I changed the engine at about halfway through the first practice session. If THIS is what made you fail your R&D, then why does it work fine for me?

For my 5 pence worth I have to agree with glight in that Monza should be an engine critical race. Tracks such as Monaco poss Hungary where a higher % of time is spent braking or part throttle should shift emphasis away slightly from raw power to areas such as braking and chassis balance.
It is hard to argue that with the highest % of full throttle application that what comes out the other end of that throttle (HP) doesn't matter too much.
Just as a a tiebreaker on the monza HP debate guys, On the game instructions for 2010 I think it did say to save your fresh engines for key HP races (Hint-Monza).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 262 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 173 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 171 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 128 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 232 13.6%