Electric GT Series Breaks Cover at Autosport International Show

Phew! So WTCC might still be on then? He's one of the few remaining drivers that make that series bearable nowadays. Also still praying Tarquinii finds a seat this season too (or comes to BTCC... pleeeeease)

If Coronel ever moves away from WTCC it'll be towards TCR (which has half the WTCC drivers now anyway :p). Don't worry, there's plenty of weekends in the year. In fact, Tommy has talked about moving to the Citroën car for 2017, and considering what he did with the aging Chevy in 2016 something tells me it'll be grand.

If Coronel ever moves away from WTCC it'll be towards TCR (which has half the WTCC drivers now anyway :p). Don't worry, there's plenty of weekends in the year. In fact, Tommy has talked about moving to the Citroën car for 2017, and considering what he did with the aging Chevy in 2016 something tells me it'll be grand.
Yeah, place yourself, who would mind an off topic here?!

All these ignorance in this thread.
No, it's not about global warming...
It's about not wasting oil.
Jeez...

I'll bet you that one super tanker crossing the Atlantic ocean in one trip uses more fuel oil than a whole season of Formula one. Not counting the thousands of airliners burning oil every single day. Making motorsport green is pointless. Any way, according to Donald, global warming is a myth any way.;)

I'll bet you that one super tanker crossing the Atlantic ocean in one trip uses more fuel oil than a whole season of Formula one. Not counting the thousands of airliners burning oil every single day. Making motorsport green is pointless. Any way, according to Donald, global warming is a myth any way.;)

I think I read that the top ten tankers in the world produce more CO2 than every car in the world combined.

But as already discussed, you should lead by example. Making motorsport green won't make a blip in the worlds atmosphere. But the knock on effect does. We seen hybrids in road cars years ago, with the Prius, and nobody but the hippies cared. But now we're seeing racing embracing hyrbrids, and the result is we're now seeing desirable hybrid road cars. McLaren P1 is an extreme example of it, as is the BMW i8. But we're also seeing things like the Audi A3 e-tron plugin hybrid. We wouldn't have seen this stuff had racing not taken that step first.

So no, of course racing itself has the tiniest, smallest impact on the worlds emissions. But if you look at the bigger picture, and think of the world as a whole and how everything interacts and the knock on effects, racing does have an effect on the direction road cars take.

Despite this, I still hate all electric race cars. I adore the hybrids, but I hate the silence of an all electric race car. All electric road cars are a must if we want to continue civilisation as we know it (I'm not talking about global warming with that statement - simply the fact that oil is a finite resource). So this EGT series won't excite me at all, but it is important that someone does an electric series properly. It'll be sad when the day comes that we cannot buy petrol for our beloved V8s, but denying this day is coming is foolish.

It'll be sad when the day comes that we cannot buy petrol for our beloved V8s, but denying this day is coming is foolish.

I don't deny it at all. Oil will run out sooner than we think in my opinion. I already have my bug out van kitted out and a place to hold out when it all goes to ****. But in the meantime, lets use all that oil up and love it. Burn it baby burn. We can't live forever.:)

regards
Mad Max.

I love the idea (because I want my Bentley V8 damn it!) but if we use it all on fuel, we may find ourselves having problems elsewhere. ;)

http://alaska.conocophillips.com/what-we-do/oil-production/Pages/what-is-oil-used-for.aspx

I'd be happy if we kept using good old octane for racing and performance road cars, but moved to electric vehicles for every day use. Anyone who sits and says he loves a petrol engine noise and then commutes to work in a 1.4L Diesel Toyota is kidding himself ;)

I see pros and cons, so I am just going to wait and see. I gave F-E a chance but I just couldn't get into it with the crappy street circuit layouts. I'm not as optimistic about this as I was for that (fool me once...). At least these seem to want to use proper circuits.

I prefer engine noise, but at the same time if the lack of engine noise allows them to race at circuits that we don't get to see usually because of noise reduction rules, that'd be good. I doubt they'll do this though... so, we'll see.

people acting like the noise and burning fuel is more important than the racing itself, smh.
keep denying global warming until you feel +40C on the north pole.

I gave F-E a chance but I just couldn't get into it with the crappy street circuit layouts.

100% how i felt about it, the street circuits are just a joke (most of them). Looking forward to how "silent", electric racing will work on proper circuits. One might be in for a shock, but the new has always had a tendency to shock, hasn't it?

Reactions: Nox
I don't understand how "global warming" is an "opinion" for some, and how many people listen to politicians and businessmen (for whom global warming and the problems that arise with it are opportunities for getting more money), rather then science. Yes, global warming can be a natural phenomena. Most evidence suggest though, that today's is induced by releasing certain gases into the atmosphere, which don't let as many reflected photons out, keeping them and their energy in the atmosphere. And energy equals temperature in the world of molecules. Saying "it doesn't exist as it doesn't affect me" is wrong. Asteroids (that exist) don't really affect us right now, but when if they will....

Yes, it's true motorsports aren't the key to resolving global warming. But having introduced two majorish electric-only series is not the end of the world of motorsports. I don't believe motorsports don't help the development of technologies. The more miles these electric cars run, the more data we have, the better and cheaper they will become. Period. And it's on the race track where you can stress test.

Yes, I love the sound of cars. "Racing" is not about sound though as somebody else has pointed out. And not about the smell of petrol either. And those who's opinion is to "burn the gas as long as we have it" means they have no responsibility about the lives of others and their ascendants, who might need the "gas" and livable weather conditions more then we do right now (in our case for entertainment).

100% how i felt about it, the street circuits are just a joke (most of them). Looking forward to how "silent", electric racing will work on proper circuits. One might be in for a shock, but the new has always had a tendency to shock, hasn't it?
Yep, especially made annoying by the fact they were testing at Donington before the F-E seasons started!! A race there would have been good!

I don't understand how "global warming" is an "opinion" for some, and how many people listen to politicians and businessmen (for whom global warming and the problems that arise with it are opportunities for getting more money), rather then science.
Hear, hear! It is disheartening that we live in an age where the experts in certain fields are ignored, this pervasive idea that science is some sort of conspiracy and we can just choose what to accept based on personal whims.

Yep, especially made annoying by the fact they were testing at Donington before the F-E seasons started!! A race there would have been good!

I agree they should be on proper tracks, but have you ever seen external footage of them racing at Donington? For a series which bills itself as a top single seater series, it's embarrassing. The cars look and act like RC cars on full sized circuits.

Onboard they use a slightly fish eye lense to make it look faster than it is. In the corners they aren't too bad, but after the initial acceleration boost from the instant torque, they immediately run out of puff and look awful. Renault Clios look more exciting, and even if the Clios are slower, they seem faster, and perception is important. I have a suspicion they use tight street circuits to make the cars look faster, and so people can't compare them to other race cars on proper circuits.

If EGT uses real circuits, has no gimmicks like fan boost, and doesn't do pit stops that dispose of an entire vehicle, then it's already miles ahead of FE.

Personally I think it's a great idea, just for the sheer challenge of simply being able to do it. That in itself is incredibly impressive. As for the noise, sure it'll suck to not have it, but when there's no oil left and we have no other option, at least racing will still be possible :)

Plus, the Tesla Model S is a freaking sweet car! Quicker than the Lambo Huracan over a 1/4 mile!

Yes it's a challenge. Yes noise is part of racing. It is an assault of all your senses. We are not even close to running out of oil. Not in your lifetime or your kids but I do agree that it is not good for the environment. As for the Tesla vs. the Huracan, I don't recall a GT race that's a 1/4 mile or even 60 k as they are proposing. I'm not saying don't do it but let's get real, this should be more in the touring car vein. Those are most likely the cars that we will be buying. That's where it will better connect with the audience and that is a realistic distance for a touring car race.

The essence of racing with electric cars is that in a race all the systems are put to a test. Under full pressure at maximum limits. No one wants to drive in a car that is set to fire spontaneously. You want it tested. And this can be done while racing.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 443 39.6%