Ecclestone Ousted as F1 CEO - Chase Carey Takes Control

Even better, Carey has just announced Ross Brawn will be Managing Director in the racing side of things, effectively where Bernie messed up most.

4.jpg

That look just says "That's not how you moustache."

I think F1 has jumped the shark a bit under Bernie to be honest. The last few years have been utterly dull on track, nothing but eight-tenths tire management competitions with one team dominating essentially unopposed. The biggest drama during the season is always reality-TV-level off-track nonsense and when it comes to the races you only get drama when the Mercs wreck each other or somebody boneheads a pit strategy.

Behind the scenes it's becoming so expensive to participate in that it's tough to fill a full grid of cars, and some of the iconic tracks of the sport are threatening to pull out because they can't afford to host races. And it's become so expensive to attend that Bernie jokes about still having enough money left to attend a race.

That's not how you run a functioning sport.

I've always wondered two things about people who have contempt or loathing for someone in power. First, do they understand the job and responsibilities, and second, how well informed are they of the decisions of that person and the surrounding circumstances.

Common parallels are parenting, management, business ownership, and politicians, and this certainly applies. It's fascinating how much a little perspective can change opinion when taking on the duties of such roles.

I've not been 100% thrilled with the direction of F1 the last few years but I don't know the first thing about running a sport at the level Bernie has (and I can't imagine many do), nor do I know the why's and how's of decisions or circumstances, so I for one will just admire his accomplishments and look forward to the next guy who takes the helm doing, hopefully, at least just as good a job.

Even better, Carey has just announced Ross Brawn will be Managing Director in the racing side of things, effectively where Bernie messed up most.

Bye bye Ecclestone, at one point it have become a niche for money and personal affairs. I thing Ross Brawn is probably the best person to analyse and see how is possible to boost competition without crazy development budgets. And I really hope that there is more balanced f1 money privileges.

So Bernie Ecclestone has been ousted at last! I can only hope that this signals a return to the Formula One that grabbed my attention every Sunday afternoon for so many years. It should be the pinnacle of motor sport and it follows that it should be something I want to watch. I see Ross Brawn has been appointed managing director of Liberty Media so that at least gives me some hope. I was amused by Ecclestone's statement "I still have many friends in Formula 1. And I still have enough money to afford to attend a race." Just one then Bernie! Now you know how it feels!

I've always wondered two things about people who have contempt or loathing for someone in power. First, do they understand the job and responsibilities, and second, how well informed are they of the decisions of that person and the surrounding circumstances.

Common parallels are parenting, management, business ownership, and politicians, and this certainly applies. It's fascinating how much a little perspective can change opinion when taking on the duties of such roles.

I've not been 100% thrilled with the direction of F1 the last few years but I don't know the first thing about running a sport at the level Bernie has (and I can't imagine many do), nor do I know the why's and how's of decisions or circumstances, so I for one will just admire his accomplishments and look forward to the next guy who takes the helm doing, hopefully, at least just as good a job.

See, the great thing about a change in administration is that no matter how bad the new guy messes it up, instead of placing blame where should be, haters of the old guy can simply blame the old administration for messing it up too much for the new guy to fix. It's a win-win for rhetoric! :)

There may be some benefit for viewers here, particularly for American viewers such as myself. Liberty Media is an American company, which holds stakes in Time Warner and Viacom (although less than 1% each). Hopefully that will mean F1 might soon be available on more than just NBC Sports in the US.

Zak Brown said this:
"Over the next decade I expect the way Formula 1 is run will become both freer and more fan-friendly, and as such we can expect to see new generations of Formula 1 devotees recruited and delighted via the proactive embracing of digital and social media, gaming etc."

I hope that means non exclusive F1 gaming license.

• ronniej

The last few years have been utterly dull on track, nothing but eight-tenths tire management competitions with one team dominating essentially unopposed. The biggest drama during the season is always reality-TV-level off-track nonsense and when it comes to the races you only get drama when the Mercs wreck each other or somebody boneheads a pit strategy.

Behind the scenes it's becoming so expensive to participate in that it's tough to fill a full grid of cars, and some of the iconic tracks of the sport are threatening to pull out because they can't afford to host races. And it's become so expensive to attend that Bernie jokes about still having enough money left to attend a race.
^^This is a true story.

My concern as an American is that I would hate to see the "Amerification" of F1 by private equity. Let's hope those with the fat pockets influencing decisions are aligned to the balance of traditional and modern circuits as they re-kindle the allure of F1 as the pinnacle of both man and machine pushed to the limits.

• tunaphis

Ever wonder why a growing number of the population despise these people who changed us from fans to a revenue stream.Bernies parting crack about stll being able to afford the prices he set clearly shows he's next job should be guarding the front lawn next to the birdbath.

The Bern ran Brabham and won more than a few titles. He was very successful as a team owner but after becoming president of FOCA ( and leading the fight against the drivers) he got bored with Brabham and figuratively, if not literally, deserted the team.

While he ran F1 his team died on the vine when it could have been one of the successful legacy teams like Ferrari, McLaren and Williams.

He ran F1 the same way. He took it over, did a few good things, had success and then concentrated more on making money than making a competetive series that welcomed privateers and manufacturers.

Now Bernie's legacy is a series that has been dominated by big money, chases away newcomers with the expense, and is nearly as boring as NASCAR. Or more so.

While I may not know what kind of pressures he was under I do know that F1 is not nearly as fun as it was when I saw my first race at Long Beach in 1979. Now I would never pay to see an F1 race. Then I would do anything to see them race at Long Beach.

Bernie's legacy can be summed up as such: I used to be able to afford to go to an F1 race that was exciting to watch. I cannot afford to attend a race now as it would be far too expensive of a proposition to entertain. And boring as hell.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back