1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Dynamic Weather

Discussion in 'X360 | F1 Championship' started by Karl Fuss, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    last but not least

As i have said before, i've been tracking the dynamic weather races i have. So far the rate of races with some rain in one of the sessions is 80%. I'll continue to track this and hope it goes down, i doubt it though.

Some of our drivers would like to have dynamic weather turned on for the races so i've started looking at the real life history of rain during the race weekends in the hopes of coming up with a fair way to "decided" when and where it should be turned on. For the sake of my sanity i've only been looking at the quali and race sessions. I'm ignoring the Practice sessions because when we race as a league we only do quali and race sessions.

So far i have looked at the last 5 years in Formula 1.
    2014 - 4 of 19 quali sessions had some rain, 2 of 19 race sessions had some rain.(21%-11%)
    2013 - 6 of 19 quali sessions had some rain, 1 of 19 race sessions had some rain.(32%-5%)
    2012 - 3 of 20 quali sessions had some rain, 2 of 20 race sessions had some rain.(15%-10%)
    2011 - 1 of 19 quali sessions had some rain, 3 of 19 race sessions had some rain.(5%-16%)
    2010 - 2 of 19 quali sessions had some rain, 3 of 19 race sessions had some rain.(11%-16%)
    averaged out that's a 14% chance of rain in either the quali or race session

taken as a whole race weekend the numbers are a little different.
    2014 - 6 of 19 races with rain in quali or the race session (32%)
    2013 - 6 of 19 races with rain in quali or the race session (32%)
    2012 - 4 of 20 races with rain in quali or the race session (20%)
    2011 - 4 of 19 races with rain in quali or the race session (21%)
    2010 - 5 of 19 races with rain in quali or the race session (26%)
    averaged out that's a 26% chance of rain in a race weekend

I've also started to look further into the race weekends of the specific races. As we know some circuits never have rain (like Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, COTA maybe). This is taking a little longer to look at and track. So far i have charted the weather history for the first 4 races of the 2014 season. I'll continue to work on that and post those results later. I think this will an important part of the puzzle to deciding which circuits should have a chance of rain.

edit - i'm a little more than half way through tracking the race weather. I'm looking back 20 years only. Some races haven't been held for that long though. This limits the predictability of the weather for those races and i'll likely include seasonal weather information for those circuits.

here's what i have so far.
    https://docs.zoho.com/file/hgbovbf46c13fc3e948318eaa13553c1e1da1

If the majority of drivers want to race with dynamic weather than we need to look at these details, SO if the majority of drivers don't care than help me save my sanity and say so.....

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    • Beer Beer x 2
  2. Chris Hempsall

Chris Hempsall

Lets just put it on.

I've been on two other leagues sites and they have this ''us vs them'' attitude with the pad v wheel. I don't want to have that here.

This is none of our fault. We can't help whats happened but as you said the other day, we're still racing on the track which is where the fun is.

I think we need to take a step back and take a look at guys like Colin and Carlos's attitude. They may not finish high up often, but they're here for the racing. That's why I'm here as well.

Let's not get stressed. Let's not forget why we're here. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
  3. I don't mind either way i suck at wet races. Plus anytime i beat Hempsall is a good time so all good. :laugh: He's spent 4 years complaining about pad assists now he has a proper reason to ;)

• Haha Haha x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Chris Hempsall

Chris Hempsall

Maybe instead of turning weather on for certain tracks, we should turn it off for certain tracks.

So make Bahrain, Monaco, Italy, Singapore, Russia and Abu Dhabi dry and put Dynamic on for the rest.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. I'd want it on just so we have that extra element.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gavin Hendley

Gavin Hendley
    Meta-SIM-morphosing

Weather is the least of my worries, but I like chris's idea of certain dry tracks and rest dynamic:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
  7. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but like I said before, if wheel users aren't even competing with controller users in the standings, then why not have wet races? It adds a very fun strategy element to the game. We may have to police it though, because an 80% of rain is ridiculous.

Too late for that. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. I don´t mid running with it or not. I won´t win anyway... but as Chris said, at least my point is to have fun with as many as we can :thumbsup: no matter if i´m in a little disadvantage or no :rolleyes:

9. I think your first point is what Karl is actually looking at rather than any specific pad \ wheel issue. ie. Trying to work out a way to incorporate dynamic weather without it becoming the norm to have rain.

Unfortunately I think it's only natural that as a wheel user if you are fighting with a pad user that there is going to be the thought that it's a bit of an unfair fight. The start of my video where Mitch and Carlos fly past even with me getting a decent start is a case in point.

However, right now it's not bothering me too much as there are plenty of wheel users to focus on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Did I miss something somewhere? Who said wheel users are not competing with pad users?

The last comments a tad unfair tbh. I don't hear anything like the us v them attitude here. Certainly not as prevalent on other leagues.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. I'm not sure what to think really. I haven't had any wet running in the game at all so far so I've got no idea how it feels. Lets just take the sensible approach. :whistling:

• Love Love x 1
  12. I do not find it fair, my position is 'clear'.

No dynamic weather for me.

13. Same in the dry. But at least we can enjoy it on the wheel - great challenge and fun.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    last but not least

since some have not even had the wet experience yet lets turn it on for Malaysia.

Wheel users are competing with pad users... just maybe not the same one's they were competing with in previous seasons. The race pace is different this year. nothing we can do about it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Karl did. Twice.

I can't compare us to any other leagues because this is the only one I'm in, but I think it is a perfectly accurate statement.

16. Other leagues are actively splitting the races based on controller. Apex were even talking about doing this although I am not sure whether they did in the end.

When it comes down to it we all know there is a difference between the two controllers but we've not made any serious moves towards splitting the league based on that. I am actually using it as an extra incentive although in all fairness I am not directly competing with anyone on a pad.

17. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    last but not least

I think it's really gonna show through (the difference btwn pad and wheel) on the circuits with more traction zones. I am even starting to see it with the AI in my career mode, good thing about that is i can turn the AI down a level to even out the playing field.

But whatever, we have no control over it. Just race the guys you're on pace with... That's what we always do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. If someday I win, then we can discuss about this, because something will be really wrong... :roflmao:

• Haha Haha x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    last but not least

i'm a little more than half way through tracking the race weather. I'm looking back 20 years only. Some races haven't been held for that long though. This limits the predictability of the weather for those races and i'll likely include seasonal weather information for those circuits.

here's what i have so far.
    https://docs.zoho.com/file/hgbovbf46c13fc3e948318eaa13553c1e1da1

• Like Like x 2
  20. Posting this here as well as in the Malaysia race thread just so it doesn't get lost amongst other posts.
    Dynamic weather. For me this has to stay, I love the challenge it brings and it certainly shakes things up a bit. I was fairly happy with my form in the wet yesterday even with that setup but if we decide to go with it there would be a good incentive to get on and practice in the wet properly, which I admit I don’t do at present. Obviously I am not in the thick of fighting with multiple pad users so maybe that makes me look at it slightly differently but even so I think I would still think the same.

The only thing that maybe needs looking at is the frequency so some kind of random generator of our own for each race would be the answer.

• Agree Agree x 3