F1 2010 DX11 Fix for Quad Core Systems

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
The Codemasters devs posted a fix on the forum for missing puddles effects. It didn't work for me and for those who have got effects back, it slashed their framerates. The nature of the fix got me looking around for a better fix. I think I have one...

Can you help test it for me...

If you want to try this, please backup your F12010 system folder and your Mygames/FormulaOne folder somewhere before starting in case this doesn't work for you as it does for me..

I tried the Codemaster hotfix and assigning the gpu to handle track state didn't work for me and slashed frame rates for me too, however the old workermap2core swap posted yesterday did partially work but the puddles were still not back to what they were originally, they were small and changing shape all the time.

This is how I got it back to full puddles with high frame rate..

The problem is the game exe wrongly detecting 4 core systems as 2 core. If you know you have a 4 core system but don't have puddles and the Codemasters hotfix is not working for you or its cutting frame rates try this..

If you have a 4 core system open
C:\Users\****\Documents\My Games\FormulaOne\hardwaresettings

Open hardware_settings_config.xml

Read it and look for the line containing CPU assignments.

I have a quad core i5 and I know it's quad core, cause I installed it and I've been monitoring core usage. After patch 1.01 it is being detected as a dual core CPU (I checked old backup of my savegame and before patch the 4 core settings were being used. If your CPU is being wrongly detected as a 2 core CPU, your hardware_settings_config.xml will read...

<threadStrategy parallelUpdateRender="true" workerMapFile="system/workerMap2Core.xml" forceFeedbackProcessor="1" dvdStorageProcessor="1" dataSetMonitorProcessor="0" renderProcessor="0" updateProcessor="1" fileStreamProcessor="1" />

Before the patch it would use the correct workerMap4Core.xml file.

Any changes you make to this cpu line will be rewritten with the 2 core settings when you start the game so modifying this file will not correct the problem..

To make a persistant change go to...

C:\Program Files\Codemasters\F1 2010\system and do the old hotfix...

rename the WorkerMap2Core.xml to WorkerMap2CoreOriginal.xml
Copy the WorkerMap4Core.xml and paste, then rename this file to WorkerMap2Core.xml

This replaces all the 2 core settings with the 4 core settings but it doesn't change the way the game identifies you CPU.

This last stage require you open the hardware_settings_restrictions.xml in notepad and edit it as follows...

Find
<restrict_if name="cores" op="int_eq" value="4">
<restrict_add>
<threadStrategy parallelUpdateRender="true" workerMapFile="system/workerMap4Core.xml" forceFeedbackProcessor="3" dvdStorageProcessor="3" dataSetMonitorProcessor="1" renderProcessor="0" updateProcessor="2" fileStreamProcessor="3" />
</restrict_add>

Copy the line in red and paste this over the line above it under the <restrict_if name="cores" op="int_eq" value="2"> section.

This will then force the game to detect your cpu as a 4 core and use the correct set of settings for your system instead of 2 core settings. This only works if the scenario stated above is present, where the game is using 2 core settings for your 4 core system.

Also the <track_info_system type="gpu" /> line is not needed in your save file and infact could complicate things.

Any feedback appreciated...

BTW I'm sorry this is complicated... not my fault.

I've got an I7 and that's seem to already be ok :
<threadStrategy parallelUpdateRender="true" workerMapFile="system/workerMap4Core.xml" forceFeedbackProcessor="3" dvdStorageProcessor="3" dataSetMonitorProcessor="1" renderProcessor="0" updateProcessor="2" fileStreamProcessor="3" />

<restrict_if name="cores" op="int_eq" value="4">
<restrict_add>
</restrict_add>

Copy the line in red and paste this over the line above it under the <restrict_if name="cores" op="int_eq" value="2"> section.
Shouldn't you also change the "workerMapFile" to "system/workerMap2Core.xml"? If you keep the "4" adressed, why should I replace the "2" file in the first place?

ok, tried it on my i5-750@3.6Ghz & GTX-470. Puddles problems fixed, but the puddles are not stables. They are waving a bit. Also the dynamic race lane is not there (drying lane on wet or rubberred on dry). FPS goes down a bit form 88 to 75. But for now it's the best fix, because CM fix didNt work for me at all.

Thanks !

Mike

Yeah, its a band aid, not a fix at all really. I hate the patch and have stopped using it in my game. I'll live the the few bugs in the old version till they pull their fingers out and fix it.

I've installed your suggestion yesterday. To get the 'puddles problem' completly correct, I had to add the <track_info_system type="gpu" /> line (it is not complicating things). But I wasn't excited about the framerate. So I forced dx9 and now I am very satisfied about how the game is running. I also have a stable fps (42-45 with puddles!) when playing the game.

I can tell you that this is reallly a good fix for me. No more thinking and looking around to get the frustrating patch running as it should be.

Hi thanks for this guide I'm going to give it a try but when you say"To make a persistant change go to...

C:\Program Files\Codemasters\F1 2010\system and do the old hotfix..." what do you mean by the old hotfix and where could i find it thanks.

Ok, that work for me with a i5 760... But not all the time. The better point it's that i have no fps drop, like with the first fix. Puddles are back but sometimes disappear and i don't know why, are back again. That's a very strange problem.

Ok, that work for me with a i5 760... But not all the time. The better point it's that i have no fps drop, like with the first fix. Puddles are back but sometimes disappear and i don't know why, are back again. That's a very strange problem.

Fuzz or someone else, do you see the race lane (drying on wet or rubberred lane) with that fix ?

• Luca Gasman

Post-patch I have the correct cpu detected, 4 core (Q9450 OC to 3,20GHz). But no puddles and no dry lane. Added the codey fix, puddles are back, HUGE FPS drops, about 16 frames. I tried to force DX9 (I have a SLI rig based on DX10, 2X9800GTX Black Edition, in fact I can't see any difference in FPS or detail forcing or not DX9, maybe because it's always rendering in DX9) and no improvement. No improvement forcing DX9 also before patching...that's why I guess regardless what you put in the config file, if your system is not DX11, will run on DX9 by default.
Should I try to do this fix? I think is going to be useless cause I already have a correct CPU detection.
Damn, puddles were not only amazing to see, but also makes you understand when Rain tyres are mandatory...

Post-patch I have the correct cpu detected, 4 core (Q9450 OC to 3,20GHz). But no puddles and no dry lane. Added the codey fix, HUGE FPS drops, about 16 frames. I tried to force DX9 (I have a SLI rig based on DX10, 2X9800GTX Black Edition, in fact I can't see any difference in FPS or detail forcing or not DX9, maybe because it's always rendering in DX9) and no improvement. No improvement forcing DX9 also before patching...that's why I guess regardless what you put in the config file, if your system is not DX11, will run on DX9 by default.
Should I try to do this fix? I think is going to be useless cause I already have a correct CPU detection.
Damn, puddles were not only amazing to see, but also makes you understand when Rain tyres are mandatory...

Adding the <track_info_system type="gpu" /> line brought back the puddles on my system.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back