DTM Hockenheim - Hot Lap Advice

Hey Folks!

I participated in the DTM Virtual Championship and after 2 Days of Driving i got a solid 1.34.636
My Questions is, where the hell i can get this 4sec to the Boardleader???
I think that there must be 1 or 2 horrible mistakes in my line or my breaking if there are 4 sec more available. So i recorded the last Lap that was closest to my personal best in hope someone can give me a little advice.

So here is the lap:

THX

Nice lap @Oscar Hardwick , really impressed how you throw it into the corners on entry and get back on the throttle early to pull it round the apex, that's something I don't have down yet, I still drive like its an old no down force car and coax it into the turns and deal with oversteer on the exits... never driving anything long enough to build that confidence with it to get it chucked into the corners like that. I can see just by looking at the video how much time can be had... interesting... might have to try and amend my style somewhat to sort mimic what you are doing a bit closer. Bet you have to watch out when the tyres wear... !!
Thanks for letting me post the setup, even if its for a general idea and theory folks can use, it will be useful..

Mmmmm that is strange. I did notice when I watched the race from the 'ring that some people were... shall we say... somewhat enthusiastic in their on track endeavors.. :) Maybe a lot of the people in that race, for whatever reason, didn't really have the long game in mind when they started...? Shocked actually at how dangerous some of those moves were.... half the battle's staying out of trouble by the looks!

Good morning from Germany =)

@Paul Jeffrey
i have sturggled a lot with some different setups, tested the one by @Oscar Hardwick, wich is quite amazing. I mean the car dosnt even trys to get out of controll, I can brake later without any lockup or such things. Really nice Setup tho.

My last time was a 1.34.3. Not the best but for the first few days back in the game that goes okay for me =)

So, i`m in for the next round on the Track of Oschersleben.
BTW - Oschersleben is just a few km away from my hometown so i will go to the race on 11./12. Sept and i`m really excited alread yet.

After the next 7 days of work =( i will buy the DTM and ADAC Expansion and upgrade to Premium to race with you guys! =)

Hi @Mehllenium Falke - yes, Oscar's setup was really good, requires quite a unique driving style to get the most from it, but it's an interesting take on how to drive the car that I'm really keen to learn more about.. will try again in Oschersleben for sure... I've got the bug now!

Really envious of you going to the race, since they stopped coming to the UK (Brands Hatch and before that Donington Park) I lost the opportunity to see these amazing cars in action :( The actual racing on Brands wasn't fantastic, but the sheer velocity of the cars going round the track was excellent, a real good experience... plus last time I went I met Ralf Schumacher and Frank Williams :D Awesome...!

Delighted to hear you intend to 'go premium' and join in the fun, brilliant news! Looking forward to welcoming you to the club matey, just be warned.... it gets really addictive and before you know it you sign up to race every night! My wife is none too impressed... :)

Thanks again mate, and thanks for feeding back on how you did, always good to hear!

See you on track (soonish...).
Paul

@Paul Jeffrey @Mehllenium Falke It took me all day to turn on R3E.

What you see here is my 10th flying lap after tweaking the setup and gearing from what I ran at Nurburgring.

Car used : BMW M4 DTM

Video :

Time is a 1:31:456 with time to be gained in every sector due to minor mistakes but it should be enough to get in to the Monday race.

Setup image attached as uploaded image.
View attachment 101381

Hello all together, I'm known as Jan Stange in the game. Maybe many of yous can now imagine better how I am.

My pb was I think 31.7 and reached P19 - direct qualification for next race.
Very interesting, because I use a complete different setup.
Will give this kind of direction a try.

To the topic, I post later on a few things.

Greetings Jan

So then, a few things about a lap at Hockenheim. Brake balance is very important, I use nearly same ratio as @Oscar Hardwick but a bit more pressure, but it'll depending on your own feeling.
My setup way is generally more wing and much stiffer dampers with a higher anti-roll bar setting. Diff is aswell different, I use 65/25/4.
Now to the driving style, you need a little lift of oversteer in turn 1 and target is around to take the corner with 195-210 kph without leave the track to much. Turn 2 is important to get a fast entry for a short line to maximise you speed at the the exit because a long straight is following. The hairpin explains itself, brake as late as possible and you need good traction at the exit. The stadium section is very difficult, because you can lose so much time there if you don't let your car "flow". As Oscar said, use the maximum of track limit and try last 2 turns to be smooth without much corrections and use full track in direction of the finish line.

For sure, only my personal opinion, maybe there are much better ones but okay I try to explain it as good as possible.
Nice weekend all together, Jan

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea