DTM Experience Initial Thoughts

Hi all,

So, I installed DTM Experience and got going, doing a little time (not long) at Hockenheim. I'm not one of those people that just is a fanboy, or bitches and moans about stuff. But this time, I want to share my (DTM) experience. Here's my initial thoughts on it.

Pros:
Graphics look nice
The sounds are quite good
It runs smooth on my computer (GTX 680, if I remember right)

Cons:
NO PIT STOPS - I mean, nada, nothing. No tyre changes, no repairs, no pit strategy. If you drive into the pit lane the game just drives you right through like a drive through penalty. SimBin, this is unacceptable. I heard the rumours this might be the case but I thought that would be like releasing a Call of Duty game without guns. Of all the things you haven't got, like multiplayer, releasing a motor sports game without pitstops is nothing short of shameful.

Too much stuff on screen - There's position boards, fastest laps, and all sorts of race 'info' flickering around the place all the time it's very easy to get distracted by one and make a mistake. It's like racing from inside a slot machine.

Harsh cut rules - Playing on Get Real (I want no traction, brake help, etc) you so much as just get deep into a corner and run wide off track, even when it COSTS you time, you get a cut-track warning. A few of these and it's a drive through. I agree that cutting the track should be punished, but not if I just make a mistake and miss the corner, lose time, positions, etc.

There's more stuff I am disappointed about, but I am going to cut it here so that it doesn't end up being a rant thread. This is NOT a DTM Experience at all. I was fine to get this game even without multiplayer, but I expected a game, complete, with a full, you guessed it, 'DTM Experience'. How can that be without pitstops?

They've released a game that is very disappointing, especially considering the high price point (I had money for one game this season, and regret my choice). I'll put some more hours into it so I'm not going to be unfair and not give it fair chance, see how it pans out, but I kind of feel ripped off. 40 euros is already high for a game. It feels like nothing more than an alpha version of DTM Experience 2014. My initial recommendation: Save your cash.

If 2014 version doesn't have pit stops or multi player, it's the last time I spend a cent on new SimBin stuff. They haven't even bothered replying to stuff on here, or to the contact form I filled out on their website days ago. It's almost as if they know it's crap and they're avoiding customers.

Last edited:
I built up a new computer and now I'm driving high graphics. Many things are greater now than last time. Specs: cpu 3,10ghz Intel i5-4440, 16gb dd3 memory, asus z87-k motherboard, 3gb asus gtx 780 graphics card. First time nothing got stuck. Driving became very enjoying, also multiplayer worked good. Very annoying loading times came half from last assembly. I wish night and rain mods come to game.

Right so i bought it. I wasn't going to as i thought Multi Player would only be in 2014 version. And being a tight git the Steam sale sealed the deal :D.

BAD:
AI is Gran Turismo-like in that they follow each other 4 inches from each others bumper and never make a mistake trying to pass fellow AI.
I consider myself very middle of the road sim racer. Usually crack top 150 on the Leaderboard challenges but so far against AI i have finished nothing better than 20th :roflmao:. Too hard! We're not all aliens. I play on Get Real as i don't want any assists that aren't on the real car.
No menu music or sounds. I know this might be petty, but come one! The first time i fired the game up i wondered if my speakers were broken!
No Multi Player filters i.e filter out sessions that are Amateur etc

GOOD:
It's the DTM.
Physics are great (as are all SimBin games).
AI when around the player will give you a nudge now and then to let you know they are there and will go for a gap. Very realistic.
DTM Overlays make you feel like you are there.
Sound.
Graphics.
Multi Player!

Overall i am very happy and with a Multi Player that doesn't have a gazillion Mods and tracks to choose from there is always a race to be had. And so far it seems smooth and consistent. Great job so far.

Great licence and they have done a superb job of it imho. I'm now really looking forward to their other Experiences (pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease do V8 Supercars. :D)

I know a few of you SimBin guys frequent this Forum and probably already know recently with RRRE i have been quite critical, but i will say this is a job very well done.
I think i have owned every game you guys have made (yes even Race Pro) and this is up there in terms of the whole package. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the write up. I still don't understand the price model of this game. Are they like annual releases? The one currently on Steam is DTM 2013. So the 2014 will be a new game? They are calling it a season pass but you can't even buy it...There is a version here on RD store which is not available on SimBin's own site and again, what are differences? On top of that. whole thing is being positioned as a DLC for the RRE as well.

Thanks for the write up. I still don't understand the price model of this game. Are they like annual releases? The one currently on Steam is DTM 2013. So the 2014 will be a new game? They are calling it a season pass but you can't even buy it...There is a version here on RD store which is not available on SimBin's own site and again, what are differences? On top of that. whole thing is being positioned as a DLC for the RRE as well.

The season pass is basically pre-ordering or pre-paying for the 2014 update.
The price model of the experiences i understand, although i still think they should be cheaper - £20 is a tad steep for what amounts to updates. Even if FIFA sells 6 million copies every year haha.
I have bought 2013 as it's half price on Steam (the original price shouldn't have been far off this imho) and the recent multi player addition was just what the Dr ordered as i was getting infuriated by Assetto Corsas lame attempt at multiplayer.
For the record the MP in this runs silky smooth. I cannot recommend it enough - if you want close, fast racing that you can jump in and out of then this is the game for you.
It's probably the best MP racing i have experienced since F1 2010 on Xbox.

The season pass is basically pre-ordering or pre-paying for the 2014 update.
The price model of the experiences i understand, although i still think they should be cheaper - £20 is a tad steep for what amounts to updates. Even if FIFA sells 6 million copies every year haha.
I have bought 2013 as it's half price on Steam (the original price shouldn't have been far off this imho) and the recent multi player addition was just what the Dr ordered as i was getting infuriated by Assetto Corsas lame attempt at multiplayer.
For the record the MP in this runs silky smooth. I cannot recommend it enough - if you want close, fast racing that you can jump in and out of then this is the game for you.
It's probably the best MP racing i have experienced since F1 2010 on Xbox.

So there is MP in the version currently on Steam?

that's good news...so I might get it then. Would you happen to know what will be the difference between 2013 and 2014 (features, content etc)?
Just downloading the demo (there is a new one by the looks of it) to see what's what

I didn't touch R3E or DTM Exp. for quite a while and I even waited a bit until I touched the MP now....well basically I had to wait as the World Cup was more important :D but I gotta say I liked the online races I've ahd so far.

Not many really and never had a setup obviously :notworthy: but it's been great fun to see the DRS system working nicely. I'm looking forward to the MP opening of R3E as I cannot wait to drive all the stuff I've got purhased over time. Got bored with the hot lapping shizzle rather quickly.

Wanted to play some DTM tonite, seems the game had an update.
So was aiming to try some rounds on the Moscow circuit.

Unfortunately FPS was down to around 30:thumbsdown: instead of average of 60-70,
Playing @ 7680x1440 with a 8gb Sapphire card with no probs untill 2day.

This is really getting annoying, know its still alpha release but again graphics/fps should be sorted around now?

Wanted to play some DTM tonite, seems the game had an update.
So was aiming to try some rounds on the Moscow circuit.

Unfortunately FPS was down to around 30:thumbsdown: instead of average of 60-70,
Playing @ 7680x1440 with a 8gb Sapphire card with no probs untill 2day.

This is really getting annoying, know its still alpha release but again graphics/fps should be sorted around now?

That Moscow circuit is brutal on framerates. Its the worst of all the tracks.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 157 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 299 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 425 39.5%