DTM Experience Initial Thoughts

Hi all,

So, I installed DTM Experience and got going, doing a little time (not long) at Hockenheim. I'm not one of those people that just is a fanboy, or bitches and moans about stuff. But this time, I want to share my (DTM) experience. Here's my initial thoughts on it.

Pros:
Graphics look nice
The sounds are quite good
It runs smooth on my computer (GTX 680, if I remember right)

Cons:
NO PIT STOPS - I mean, nada, nothing. No tyre changes, no repairs, no pit strategy. If you drive into the pit lane the game just drives you right through like a drive through penalty. SimBin, this is unacceptable. I heard the rumours this might be the case but I thought that would be like releasing a Call of Duty game without guns. Of all the things you haven't got, like multiplayer, releasing a motor sports game without pitstops is nothing short of shameful.

Too much stuff on screen - There's position boards, fastest laps, and all sorts of race 'info' flickering around the place all the time it's very easy to get distracted by one and make a mistake. It's like racing from inside a slot machine.

Harsh cut rules - Playing on Get Real (I want no traction, brake help, etc) you so much as just get deep into a corner and run wide off track, even when it COSTS you time, you get a cut-track warning. A few of these and it's a drive through. I agree that cutting the track should be punished, but not if I just make a mistake and miss the corner, lose time, positions, etc.

There's more stuff I am disappointed about, but I am going to cut it here so that it doesn't end up being a rant thread. This is NOT a DTM Experience at all. I was fine to get this game even without multiplayer, but I expected a game, complete, with a full, you guessed it, 'DTM Experience'. How can that be without pitstops?

They've released a game that is very disappointing, especially considering the high price point (I had money for one game this season, and regret my choice). I'll put some more hours into it so I'm not going to be unfair and not give it fair chance, see how it pans out, but I kind of feel ripped off. 40 euros is already high for a game. It feels like nothing more than an alpha version of DTM Experience 2014. My initial recommendation: Save your cash.

If 2014 version doesn't have pit stops or multi player, it's the last time I spend a cent on new SimBin stuff. They haven't even bothered replying to stuff on here, or to the contact form I filled out on their website days ago. It's almost as if they know it's crap and they're avoiding customers.

Last edited:

And no suipport of Crossfire-SLI i think. Running the game on med settings, no AA and HDR on 7680x1440 gives me an astonishing 22fps:poop:.
Assetto Corsa gives me on these settings a stable 55=60 fps.
On the smaller resolutions 4....x900, around 120fps.

I will let sonat confrim or deny the following, but as far as i know both tripple screen and SLI are not (fully) supported yet. That might explain why the performance is below standards.

So yes, once supported you should get better performance. When it will be int he game, i cannot say, simply because i do not know.

Yes. Unfortunately, while the game supports and runs on triple screen setups and Crossfire/SLI, it is not yet fully optimized. We know we can do a lot of optimizations and we are working on a better method of rendering for multimonitor setups.

While it's being worked on, may I suggest lowering the reflection type and turning off split shadows to see if it helps.

Yes. Unfortunately, while the game supports and runs on triple screen setups and Crossfire/SLI, it is not yet fully optimized. We know we can do a lot of optimizations and we are working on a better method of rendering for multimonitor setups.

While it's being worked on, may I suggest lowering the reflection type and turning off split shadows to see if it helps.

Why do you keep upcoming details so secret? Are you waiting such success like Assetto Corsa? I want and others all information what is going on Simbin and RRE about DTM-E? Simbin site tells only RRE news, nothing news on DTM-E site. If there is not weather setup, mandatory pitstops and all DTM stuff I think boycott starts when I'm reading critism about games' starting point on December 5th. Promised things are quite unbalanced. I think DTM-E should do triple somersault and landing perfect on ground. These early accesses are peaks at game industry. Only few of them have succeed. Is AC only one?

Why do you keep upcoming details so secret? Are you waiting such success like Assetto Corsa? I want and others all information what is going on Simbin and RRE about DTM-E? Simbin site tells only RRE news, nothing news on DTM-E site. If there is not weather setup, mandatory pitstops and all DTM stuff I think boycott starts when I'm reading critism about games' starting point on December 5th. Promised things are quite unbalanced. I think DTM-E should do triple somersault and landing perfect on ground. These early accesses are peaks at game industry. Only few of them have succeed. Is AC only one?

Secrecy is sadly part of the game development, so you will never get the full scope. Having said that we will try our hardest with R3E this year to be more open about our plans and ideas, and last but not least important more approachable on the forums.

We focus on R3E news because that is a self published title, DTM-E has a publisher who takes care of the communication for DTM-E we do take care of support though.

Which one will succeed only time will tell, but I think us simracers must remember that making a "hardcore" game is only going to be suited and appreciated by a very small part of an already niche market/group. So measuring success based on simracers liking it might not be the measure you want to be using. Having said that, IMO every (sim) race title should succeed int he mass market, one we get a great spotlight on our niche market, then we can show what we are really made off.

Secrecy is sadly part of the game development, so you will never get the full scope. Having said that we will try our hardest with R3E this year to be more open about our plans and ideas, and last but not least important more approachable on the forums.

We focus on R3E news because that is a self published title, DTM-E has a publisher who takes care of the communication for DTM-E we do take care of support though.

Which one will succeed only time will tell, but I think us simracers must remember that making a "hardcore" game is only going to be suited and appreciated by a very small part of an already niche market/group. So measuring success based on simracers liking it might not be the measure you want to be using. Having said that, IMO every (sim) race title should succeed int he mass market, one we get a great spotlight on our niche market, then we can show what we are really made off.

Should I believe this?

Thx all for the response. Hopefully something is set in motion:D

@Sonat Ozturk, adjusted the settings you said, but no inmprovement.:(
From low to high etc on 7680x1440 results in a qverage fps of 20.
4800x900 on high, is a nice avreage of around 55-60fps. which is good enough for me.

Like said before it is a shame that this game does not have an own support forum.
Would give people a feeling that problems are taken care off and mean some xtra publicity and in the end MORE profit:thumbsup:

As for secrecy, do not have to know everything but an update, time frame now and then would make people less moaningm but thats just my 2 cents:)

In my simple opinion, the DTM-E is a nice sim. The physics, AI and FFB are great.

Somethings to improve;
- Pit Stop
- Tire wear
- play offline at steam

+ diffrent weather
+ all the other things we see in DTM races / championship like price cermonis, grid girls ;), fire works and more. It cant stay as lame as it is in 2013 version. Hard to describe in english what I mean but look at codies F1 games!
+ and for pitstops, I would like to se pitstops were we see how the pit crews work with the car as in real, not as the pit stops in Race07.
+real engine, tyre and gearbox failiure risks so in some stages you have the risk of retire a race
+ REPLAYS after the race!

Animated pitstops will be difficult with only 3 second pitstops. I'm happy if we get simple 3 second ones.
I don't care much about having animated pitstops, perhaps because i'm used to the non-animated ones in Race07. ;) But pitstops itself (even if not animated) are quite necessary to represent real DTM rules.

But if pitstops will be fully animated at the end, i will be happy about it ... nevertheless. :)

Race replays are in the Media HUB.
Engine and gearbox failure is also in it.
Animated pitstops will be difficult with only 3 second pitstops. I'm happy if we get simple 3 second ones.

Media hub? I need to find that then, but why so hard to watch it when we play??

Have you ever seen that the engine stops running if you not hit the wall in like 200km/h? I have never seen that, The gearbox is the same, only if I hit something it start to truble me but not so bad so I have to retire.. I want real failure like in real not as it is now.

Real animated pit stops can be done because others can pull it off. But as long as it's a pit stop then im happy, but animated would be much cooler then the boring pit stops in Race07.

But the replay most be much simpler to find like in other racing games!

You already damage the gearbox when you down shift to fast before the first corner, if you do it more often the gears begin to skip.
Also your engine power begins to drop.

Media Hub is in the main menu screen, bottom left off the green circle.

Last edited:
I had been sitting on the fence on this one, had the demo and quite liked it and finally decided to buy it through the deal on this forum. I have to say I really like this sim. The graphics are fantastic (make rfactor2 look like a cartoon). It runs at a solid 60fps on my system (Core i5 4.5 ghz & HD7870)

I like the physics (took me a while to set up my g25 to my liking though) and for the first time in a while I actually feel like if I make a mistake it is my mistake and not some random physics intervention!! The Audi and Bathurst track that are also included in the deal are just as good.

The driving model and AI are really good and it is easy to be consistent, but difficult to improve by those elusive 10ths of a second.

The sound (through my Plantronics 7.1 headset) is the best sound in a racing sim yet in my opinion and this is first racing sim I have actually enjoyed for quite a while

Yes the game modes are limited at the moment, but I enjoy the challenges and am looking forward to multiplayer and 2014 Season pass.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 223 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 150 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.3%