DTM 2012 Series for RACE 07/rFactor

Looking great so far! But how about the tyres? On the last BMW picture the tyres go into the ground.
This will be fixed before final release, right? Keep up the good work :cool:

P.S: Would be a good idea to include the link of the prerelease in the first post of this thread!
That way people can easily see it.

Little update, countinued it a little bit.

wipa52.jpg

However i might've to scrap it and start from scratch, somewhat can't really get the shape right. Only modeling it after Pictures from google rather than a picture/blueprint mix. See the Red spots on the hood for example, should be a straight line but isn't. Maybe gotta remove some polys to match it.. Btw. the red spots are actually polys so i was thinking that this might also shoot above the wanted polycount.

What do you mean by straight line?! I just had a quick look at some pictures and the only "problem" I can spot is that the headlights may be a bit too large?
Don't know if you allready have these, but these are some kind of blueprint (even if I don't know how accurate they are :D)
BP1, BP2
and there are some more in the net with just other liveries ;)

Short addition: I just had a look at the preview-mod ;)
Setting the radius of the wheels to 0.39 (not perfect...but close) :D Additionally I edited the pivot for all GMT to get the 3D model looking right placed in the editor (but I don't know if this has any impact to the appearance ingame though)
With a greater radius set and lowerd ridehigh, the car looks some kind of real now :D

(sry, messed a bit around with the material-setup and alphas :oops:)

Just some hints for your further development:
- make the windows single in every way (texture, mapping, model splitting)
- use large textures (2048x2048 or 2048x1024) for important things (all glass on one large tex, bodyparts on one large tex)
- use small textures (1024x1024 or 1024x512 or 512x512) for the not so important things (generic parts, callipers etc.)
- use very small textures (256x256 or 128x128) for the very unimportant things
- specmap textures should have the same sice as original texture

Short addition: I just had a look at the preview-mod ;)
Setting the radius of the wheels to 0.39 (not perfect...but close) :D Additionally I edited the pivot for all GMT to get the 3D model looking right placed in the editor (but I don't know if this has any impact to the appearance ingame though)
With a greater radius set and lowerd ridehigh, the car looks some kind of real now :D

(sry, messed a bit around with the material-setup and alphas :oops:)

Just some hints for your further development:
- make the windows single in every way (texture, mapping, model splitting)
- use large textures (2048x2048 or 2048x1024) for important things (all glass on one large tex, bodyparts on one large tex)
- use small textures (1024x1024 or 1024x512 or 512x512) for the not so important things (generic parts, callipers etc.)
- use very small textures (256x256 or 128x128) for the very unimportant things
- specmap textures should have the same sice as original texture

Looking great, however i think the ride height is a bit to low? Love that the tires don't stick into the ground anymore. Didn't mess with the Tyres/Suspension because it messed up the wheels for me (FL tyre sticking out of the car sideways for example).

Body/Parts texture is 2048x2048 also i've already used smaller sizes for less important things? Yeah the windowsplitting is true, i was just glad that i didn't have to pack everything in one texture lol - also wasn't familiar with the *.cas at that point. Specmaps are the same size as the original texture.

Also for the Straight line issue:

audi-a5-dtm-10_1600x0w.jpg

Well, i'll probably do a full Splinecage of the Basic shape before modeling it any further - i already messed up the front before i actually Setup a proper Splinecage of it. Thanks for the Livery Blueprints, they somewhat seem off from the actual design though? i'll maybe use them to get the basic shape done though!

Yeah...I made a low-rider xD
But this was just to get the car on the floor. I think the rear wheel needs to be a little bit larger than the front (model)? and the ride height must be a bit greater of course ;)

I just added the texture thing for the sake of completeness :) I saw that you mapped the windows on the parts texture and thought it could be helpful to recap all those texture size related things :D don't wanted to speak badly of your work in any kind of way ;)

Yes the "templates" were made before the real release of the final car I guess...so they are just painted from pictures of the early prototype or such....and yes, for the right proportions they maybe are good enough ;)

Yeah...I made a low-rider xD
But this was just to get the car on the floor. I think the rear wheel needs to be a little bit larger than the front (model)? and the ride height must be a bit greater of course ;)

I just added the texture thing for the sake of completeness :) I saw that you mapped the windows on the parts texture and thought it could be helpful to recap all those texture size related things :D don't wanted to speak badly of your work in any kind of way ;)

Yes the "templates" were made before the real release of the final car I guess...so they are just painted from pictures of the early prototype or such....and yes, for the right proportions they maybe are good enough ;)

The templates are made from the final Car model. If you know how then you can actually Render the Template instead of painting it. Also i've been wondering if Race07 supports normal mapping? If yes that could be used to make the reflections look even more realistic ;>

For the Tyres, yeah the rear ones are indeed a little bit larger. Front: 260 R18, Rear: 280 R18 :D

Well, kinda forced me to work on the A5 to get it's shape right (it's kind of a letdown of motivation if something just doesn't seem right with a model). So i've setup a Splinecage to help me getting the shape right and i'm quite satisfied with the result. You might won't see that much of a difference, but it's there and i think it looks good.

Polycount for this is around 1k at the moment - a bit much if you ask me but i'll keep working on it and aim to finish it at around 7k polys max (which is about the polycount of a default Race07 car without wheels/hood/lights and so on)

wipa53.jpg

If you were actually wondering what i mean with "Splinecage" i've also rendered it to show you what it means.

wipa5splinecage.jpg

I usually don't use this technique very often since there are tons of accurate Blueprints for cars but i've already used it on the M3 to get the bodykits shape down since there are no blueprints of that at all. It also helps alot when you just can't seem to get things right from pictures alone and also helps to reduce the Polycount sometimes (One often places way to much to get the shape).

Oh I believe they are! :eek:
But great work!

Looking at this picture I would guess, using a blueprint of a 2012 A5 could be useful for getting the headlights nearly perfect? OK not the inside but the shape (maybe with a bit of stretching) :D
Just if you consider using the stock A5 blueprints here is one BP I found: BP 1
Afaik there are maybe more at SMCARS.net...but the site seems to be hacked and out of order :(
Additionally I found some brochures from Audi USA where some BP can be found at the end of each brochure. I didn't find any A5, but an A7 which also has the new headlights. The A7 has much more flat headlights I guess and they may fit better to the A5 DTM...so you may want to have a look? (page 45, you can zoom in by the tools from the brochure but can zoom using a right click and click zoom too...the BP is in high res, so taking a screenshot and use them as BP would work quite well I guess)

Oh I believe they are! :eek:
But great work!

Looking at this picture I would guess, using a blueprint of a 2012 A5 could be useful for getting the headlights nearly perfect? OK not the inside but the shape (maybe with a bit of stretching) :D
Just if you consider using the stock A5 blueprints here is one BP I found: BP 1
Afaik there are maybe more at SMCARS.net...but the site seems to be hacked and out of order :(
Additionally I found some brochures from Audi USA where some BP can be found at the end of each brochure. I didn't find any A5, but an A7 which also has the new headlights. The A7 has much more flat headlights I guess and they may fit better to the A5 DTM...so you may want to have a look? (page 45, you can zoom in by the tools from the brochure but can zoom using a right click and click zoom too...the BP is in high res, so taking a screenshot and use them as BP would work quite well I guess)

Thanks! But i guess i'll stick to those i made, a little bit of paint and they'll look good.

Another update *Vrooom* *Vrooom* :D

audia5wip8.jpg

really really nice! :D

ehm...I saw some pictures with a BMW having the exhaust on the sides at the rear doors!? what will be the configuration when the season starts? rear exhaust or side exhausts? I'm a bit confused :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.4%