F1 2011 DRS Confirmed for F1 2011 - Oh god help us!

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
I don't think having DRS and KERS on the same button would be a good idea.
What if you want to use DRS but not KERS? (e.g. In practice or qualifying)
or vice versa?

Plus DRS isn't a single-tap for every team. Apparently some teams press and hold it.

Seperate buttons please
Right. This game will be called "F1 2011", so there should be all things, which are in F1. Seperate!
I only have 2 buttons on my wheel (G25). I use one of these buttons to look behind me and the other one to notify the team I am coming in for a pit stop. I can easily reassign the pit notification button, but if DRS and KERS are included, I will need to stop looking who is behind me? Because there is no way I am taking my hands off the wheel to press some keyboard key for DRS or KERS. grrrrrrrr

BTW am I missing something here, but why can't we adjust the brake balance from the cockpit while we are driving on the track. We can adjust the engine map, the front wing angle (I guess this will go away in 2011?), we can ask for different tire types on our next stop, but we can't adjust the brake bias? why?

With G25 u have 3 pedals, right? So use a clutch as DRS... Maybe u don't know, but Mercedes GP did it this way. There are 3rd pedal in car.

And I think there should be option like "Auto DRS in race" - it would activate DRS when available. I would not use it, but i think for some people it'll be helpful.

CM will probably have auto DRS, they dont really make fully fledged sim games no matter how much we want them to, and this would best cater for the broader market and probably be easier to code for them.

KERS cant be automatic, you need to control when you want to use it. it'll be interesting to see how they code the AI and its use of KERS though, without it becoming repitive (lke them using it on the same corners each track) and see if they use it for overtaking or defensivley.

I follow Scott on this one (post #1). Hopefully CM reconsiders this as its vital for great online play instead of their MP implementation in F1 2010.

So either they dont want their games to live for a long time (makes sense in terms of sales) or its just another console port where they dont want to invest extra time to make it properly work on PC.

I follow Scott on this one (post #1). Hopefully CM reconsiders this as its vital for great online play instead of their MP implementation in F1 2010.

So either they dont want their games to live for a long time (makes sense in terms of sales) or its just another console port where they dont want to invest extra time to make it properly work on PC.

Agreed. I don't play MP but I would put that ahead of DRS since it seems a lot of people do play MP. I see lots of problems with DRS since the FIA are still figuring out how to do it right. We know how poorly the AI behaved in F1 2010 so how are we to be sure the AI will use DRS properly, and how is it going to be implemented for the player? Automatic, semi-auto (notified by the engineer) or just a light or HUD notification? I would rather not worry about it.

IMO DRS the way it has been implemented in F1 so far is OK. We are only 4 races in so I can't say whether it is breaking things or not (it certainly has helped Mark Webber!). I'll support DRS if the FIA are able to place the detection/deployment to areas that do nothing more than place a car into an overtaking scenario and from there it is up to the drivers to sort it out. Everyone always talks about how in F1 there isn't a slipstream effect like in other racing. However, I will agree that DRS is probably a difficult thing to get perfect.

We should have all the controls that a F1 driver has. No more and no less.

My joystick (G940 flight system) has 7 analogue pots (aside from the stick itself) and about 20 buttons together with 4 hat switches. All should be put to use if necessary

I would be fine with DRS being automatic. If you think about it, when would DRS be available and you NOT want to use it? If you're within the 1 second window at the detection line the DRS should just activate as soon as you cross the DRS zone line and then deactivate when you hit the brakes. There's no need to take up another button on the wheel/controller for it.

Kers should be a toggle button. Press to activate and press again to deactivate.

Also, please do away with the menu system during the race: up/down on dpad should control engine mapping and right/left should select tires. Having to memorize and use a 3 button combo while racing is pretty crazy in my opinion. Yeah, real F1 drivers have a ton to keep up with on their wheels, but they also get paid 20+ million a year.

To fit in DRS, it would be nice if you were able to have different controller configuration for Practice and Race. Being able to do this would mean you could shun certain buttons you don't need in Practice(tyre select + request pit) in exchange for the likes of DRS, which you would not need during a race.

DRS should definitely have a manual for serious players, sutil span his car due to the shift in downforce and the resulting low traction at the back coming out of the last corner at melbourne. Obviously not every track will have it in the same kind of places and therefore on a straight you don't really have a chance of managing to spin your car. But in some cases like melbourne, i suspect monaco may be a likely place to; it may be possible to spin your car. So DRS and KERS both need to be manual or at least have a option to be manual.

As for implementing them at all:

It was a good decision lets face it if they didn't there would be lots of people complaining that the game isn't realistic to f1 2011. So there is no way for them to please all fans but if you ask me it should be realistic, it should have all the little features that the real driver has, i am looking forward to using the KERS and DRS in game. The only thing i am a little worried about is how much power they give to the car, if codemasters don't get it right, there could be potentially great bursts of speeds or not enough change in pace when using the feature causing the game play to be buggy.

I also would love to see how they put them in the game, when considering reliability and the actual change in pace for the car. We have already seen the red bulls struggle with the overall use of KERS where as mclaren have had no problem what so ever with the KERS. So would love to see whether they implement some sort of reliability with the KERS. I have also heard that the teams which didn't start with the KERS at the start of the season won't be starting with it at the start of the season in game which i think is a great feature and points towards them maybe making red bull struggle with the reliability of the KERS. Thats if it can easily be coded in.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back