Droopy Wings May Need Hardening

Tim Ling

It's a million-to-1 chance, but it just might work
After being asked for clarification on the rules governing wings, the FIA are set to bring in more extensive testing, possibly doubling the weight that is placed on the wing ends to 100kg. This could force Red Bull and Ferrari to make some difficult changes to their cars, as the front wing has a big effect on the aerodynamics of the car as a whole.

Mark Webber sees the complaints about the front wing as bad grapes from teams that can't keep up.
"When people don't like what they see on the stopwatch, they have to justify their own positions sometimes."
He also said that F1 should bring in engine parity, as it's known that the Renault engine is not as powerful as the Mercedes.

rebull.jpg

I think its an interesting area f development. I wish they would stop outlawing things on the basis that no-one else thought of it. Development and creativity of design are key elements of the F1 appeal for me.

Well yes innovation is what F1 is supposed to be about (not sure now with all rules and with everything getting banned (f-duct) as soon as it comes) but when there is a rule saying it has to be away from the floor then thats why no-one else has done it as they dont want to break the rules.

The flexi wings have been touching the floor since they showed it on Hungaroring. if they will use this wings on Spa they will probably brake them once they take Eau Rouge for a first time and we might get a driver killed. How ever I am wondering how much time the Red Bull car will lose once they dont have such flexi wings.

about a 0.8s per lap on a medium speed circuit I've been reading around the place Giorgos. They would still be out front overall I think but by a much much slimmer margin.

Dave Stephenson;578368 said:
I think its an interesting area f development. I wish they would stop outlawing things on the basis that no-one else thought of it. Development and creativity of design are key elements of the F1 appeal for me.

Its not that no one has thought of it. They used to have low front wings but the FIA introduced a minimum height to reduce downforce. Then they thought of flexi-wings to get round the height rule so the FIA introduced a test to counter this. Red Bull's innovation is to produce a flexi-wing which passes the FIA test.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back