Driving footwear

Hi, I guess this is the right place to ask about this.

Ever since I got my CSPs, I've been trying to find what to wear on my feet to be comfortable and still have good control on the pedals. So far:

-Socks: It's a no. I just can't get comfortable with just socks, and they tend to slide on the pedals.
-Normal shoes: Too cumbersome. I've even managed to do Left Foot Accelerating while trying to brake. Also, I have absolutely no feeling of wheter I'm pressing the pedal or not until it's too much.
-Football shoes: They are thinner, which helped a lot, and I get some feeling from the pedals. Still, in the position I keep my feet they end hurting my ankles (they are a bit too tight even if I try to get them as loose as possible).
-Shoes without socks: This one backfired, was worse than with socks.

So, I've been toying with the idea of ordering a pair of simBOOTs, but I don't really know about them. They don't seem too expensive, and they do look comfortable enough. But I would like to ask for opinions about them, or alternatives that are available in Europe. I'd just like something that lets me feel the pressure on the pedal, and is comfortable.

Thanks a lot.

Try boxing shoes, heard it's pretty good :)

As for me (G27 pedals):

f2048050-f.jpg

They are exactly the same :p

Upvote 0
i've been using a pair of plimsolls on my CSP`s for over a year now, there really good you can press the brake really hard no problem and the thin sole gives great feel and all for around 5euros :D

Upvote 0
If i had a set of the full on CST pedals etc. I would use my racing shoes, i use when i race my Datsun.

Got these March last year from DC Shoes for $150AUS ($100 for shoes and $50 to post to Australia). They use to be $250 US but they had discounted them abit too $200US, then had a 50% off sale. Shoes here is Oz usually cost nearly $200 for cheap ones.

These feel great, with hard heal and soft at the ball of your foot, but they are leather not suede so they are easy to clean.
dcprospecblue.jpg

Upvote 0
Kung Fu or Martial art ect...have them......totally different, and yes we could be paying the hell for them, other than socks and real racing shoes what else is there.

I race with two socks on one foot, with a shoe liner inbetween the socks, works a treat and to me Perfect firmness, However, would like a shoe or slipper of some sort.

Ideal would be to stick a quality sock to a shoe liner, but hav'nt worked it out yet.

Upvote 0
THanks a lot for the suggestions, they help a lot.

Most options though, I think they are more expensive than I would like to pay right now. Right now the plimsolls or some martial arts shoes are probably my best bet. Also Vito, what do you mean by "totally different"?

Upvote 0
Like, many of us, not by my own research, but a general view across the sim community we race/play with socks.

Simboots seem to have the mould close to the sock format. This in my view and that suits my driving style, for feel seems to be the go, my concern though is the material used....I'm not a fan of sweatie hot feet...but I stand to be corrected on that, hence still researching that one.

Jordi.....My martial art shoes are... and to me that is, totally different...my reason is because of it's sole and how the top part of the shoe is connected to that..(sorry don't know correct terms for shoes) as mentioned before, most of us like socks and I for one like them because the sock completley moulds your foot and there are no distances like a sole of about 16th" to an 8th" between the actual bottom part of your foot to your pedal. That distance can sometimes catch you out in the heat of the moment when sliding your feet across specially in heel and toe driving. Coupled with this and with me is the feel, When driving I feel the degree/quantity of horsepower I'm delivering mostly through my accellerator foot hence the reason why the sole must be durable enough to maintain form for comfort , but sensitive enough to capture that infomation required through simracing/computers. Martial art shoes are very flexible and soft and to a degree sensitive, it may do the trick for some, but I found myself out of touch with info when driving.

I was actually refering to the fasttracksims product above (Terry's post), i'm curious to know more about that sole.
The Fins are porbaly perfect like simboots but the material concerns me as I said...next stop surf shop check them out.

I hope that all made sense, hard to describe what one person feels.

happy driving

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 380 16.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.7%