Skins Driver Suits and AC

Hi,

Can you someone tell me if there is a file name prefix required for driver suits in AC?

I'm trying to create a driver suit for the MX5 Cup car but all I can see is the grey/white version.

Replacing the file in the skins folder changes the team outfit which is great but I would like to change the driver one as well? Or is it hard wired into the model and not changeable?

I tried the racesuit template from the DEVS folder, coloured it bright orange and saved about four different named versions but no luck.

Thanks.

@unseen is the NM layer a bump map texture?

I can't reproduce it in the purple style effect that's already there but I can obviously save it as a grey scale image.

I thought for a moment it was a negative style image but that effect didn't work.

Do you (or anyone else) know how this is produced?

No big deal if I can't use it, I noticed it worked fine without it as well.

Sorry for the questions, I've pretty much worked everything else out for myself but this is the first time I've done this amount of texture work on AC, thanks.

They are the normal maps adding a bit of fake depth to the final textured model, so similar to the old bump maps :)

I use the nvidia photoshop plugin - https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop to generate any new parts I add or edit in the base _NM tex (raised logos/patches, belts, pockets, etc on the suits). It can take a bit of layering, blending, general fiddling and trial and error to get it all looking as it should when seeing how the light hits any new parts in-game, but the end results work absolutely fine when you do.

If you aren`t using photoshop, there are plenty other tools around to create the normal maps from a base image. If you use GIMP there`s a plugin for it, and there are several standalone tools around as well (some free, some not).

They are the normal maps adding a bit of fake depth to the final textured model, so similar to the old bump maps :)

I use the nvidia photoshop plugin - https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop to generate any new parts I add or edit in the base _NM tex (raised logos/patches, belts, pockets, etc on the suits). It can take a bit of layering, blending, general fiddling and trial and error to get it all looking as it should when seeing how the light hits any new parts in-game, but the end results work absolutely fine when you do.

If you aren`t using photoshop, there are plenty other tools around to create the normal maps from a base image. If you use GIMP there`s a plugin for it, and there are several standalone tools around as well (some free, some not).

Gotcha, didn't realise it was part of the NVidia tools, I'll have a play around later on to see how that function works. Thanks again for your help, you're a legend sir! :):thumbsup:

personally , I woudlnt' go too crazy on this just yet, they seem to change drivers with every new patch, so you constantly have to redo/move things around

Hiya, yeah I noticed looking at templates it took a while to find one that actually matched the suit of the driver in the car (in this case the MX5-Cup Car).

The suit isn't too complex in design so if I have to do a revised one its not a problem.

Just trying to understand how the mapping works in this sim compared to others. I can understand why lots of people like to do skins on this sim. Metallic effect, shiny, matt, chrome, etc. You can have lots of fun with the finishes and details. The only thing missing as I mentioned in my first post is maybe a small tutorial on what file names are needed for each option. Sometimes you can find it out by looking at other cars, sometimes Google is your friend. Trying to get the Mazda to change wheel colours at the moment! ;)

mapping - for most things - works exactly the same as in other games, the small difference is especially for things like interior, where the surface is defined by small tileable texture , as an example if you doors are carbon fiber, you don't have entire door textured on a big carbon fiber texture, instead you use small square that's tiling around

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back