I can't see this game being a success when all you do is driving through forests and follow some mountain roads :/ It's more of a tech demo than a full game if you'd ask me
I don't need a track racing wannabe sim arcade racing game (if you want an example on how not to do it I can give you one or two)

Driveclub focus on supercars on fast closed road tracks and tries to do what it does as good as possible :)

looks crap :(
It's Pre-Alpha so a lot of things can improve.

Driveclub focus on supercars on fast closed road tracks and tries to do what it does as good as possible :)

I have respect for the developers putting their effort into the game the best they can, but the concept seems so linear and uninteresting to me. You race other people and their ghost cars and whoever is fastest on a piece of road wins. It sounds very basic and I really hope there will be more to it than that. I honestly hope so.

I have respect for the developers putting their effort into the game the best they can, but the concept seems so linear and uninteresting to me. You race other people and their ghost cars and whoever is fastest on a piece of road wins. It sounds very basic and I really hope there will be more to it than that. I honestly hope so.
Mhh good point, but I actually like the concept. It's something different (although similar to Forza Horizon or for examply Grid if it would have a few more point to point stages) . If you don't like the concept I understand it. Would have preferred rally (they did offroad after all with Motorstorm and the WRCs on PS2) or a few city tracks tbh but I think that would be too much for a lauch title.

Cars seem to move around with zero apparent weight transfer like an old NFS4 game, check.

Graphics are king, check.

Points for drifting and having drift zones etc, check.

Lots of damage but cars still go quickly without wheels hanging off etc, check.

Super wide smooth roads, check.

Apparently slick tyres given the rate they corner, check.

So it's an arcade road racing game, though I use the word race loosely because it looked like as much was about driving sideways or other 'cool' things like that than racing.

So it's yet another F&F style road driving game with a slight twist.

No doubt we'll be able to win certain hair cuts or trousers for our player avatar too if we get really high drift scores.

Lovely graphics I'm sure, but these days it seems the better something looks the more it cost to make == needs to sell more copies == needs to appeal to the people who drive from behind the car brigade and don't understand the use of brakes well before they reach corners etc.

Never mind. Maybe one day a game developer will put the effort into something with a half decent driving physics, leave the whole 'back story' as vanilla as possible and let the player make up their reason for being there :D

Dave

TDU1 was pretty good with all the range of driver aids and the sim mode that unlocked at the end.

No it wasn't perfect but I played that game a great deal and generally it felt very good.

TDU2 was really poor, poor controls and all metro-sexual feeling when playing it put me right off.

TDU1 managed to blend good controls from buttons > G25 wheel (which was a bugger to set up but I got there eventually), and novice driving through to no driving aids and simulation mode.

It is possible for developers to do it right, they just choose not to. I guess we form a very small demographic.

Then again, just throw some nice road courses into AC and maybe we will have everything we want there? :D

Dave

Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

DRIVECLUB: Gameplay and Interview

Hollie and Rob from Playstation Access managed to grap a hold of Jamie, the community manager of DRIVECLUB, to speak about and test the launch title of the new Playstation 4 console.

Jamie emphasizes on where the game is positioned on the spectrum of arcade and simulation racing. The options that the new PS4 offers in terms of graphics and physics for the developers Evolution Studios. The new approach of how multiplayer will be organized compared to traditional multiplayer racing titles...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited:
sounds good to me if they are being totally honest...
anyone whos played ProjectToruqe will know what very good driving physics are like where its makes you feel "yes this feels like what a corvette probably drives like" but without actually being properly realistic and difficult. i really hate games that are lazy and just say "well if you want it to be fun then we will just make driving as easy as possible" and even though i love simulation games for how much of an acievement feeling you get for doing well i love the kinds of games where you get some kind of all the sensations of what a real car would give while being easy enough that there are always more and more people coming to play and then maybe even teaching those people enough to get them into simracing later :)

At 0.41 the instrument caps looks cheap and tacky, I didn't expect that tbh, but ok, He said it's still under developing, It's PS4, so no more tacky stuff should be visible imho, But i'm maybe just dreaming to much Lol - yes It's Nice with some honesty from a Game developer, and I agree Robert, Simrace will be more and more what everybody wants in a Race game..

Grid2 promised so many things, and didn't deliver, I asked for several months, to see some Console gameplay, and they didn't answer, and by accident, we finally saw a video from one of the gamesites, that was from Xbox, the quality was OK, but far from all the other videos we had seen, they were produced on a High End PC and they didn't want to tell us the specs of that either..

Grid 2 is a beautiful game, but it's not what the sold us via the videos and interviews.

The same goes for GT5/GT6.. in 2005 we watched a Video of GT5 in the release show of PS3, we still haven't seen what they promised, and not even with GT6, It's a Car Show more than it's a Race Sim. sadly enough!! and they still have to understand the true meaning of A.I

I'm not particularly looking forward to this title ( driveclub) the Gameplay sounds more like NFS then a real kind of Race game, once again they rather sale it to Peggy 3 and up, then going for a more mature audience, well even GT'series is going for the same thing, not that they will have much fun driving it, but Sony knows that lots of Parents and family members will buy it for the young ones, and again the real Sim race drivers are still waiting for the whole packets..

I'm looking forward to a Console Race sim that fulfill the full spectra of a Seasonal race Serie, with cars and tracks, and not like GT5/6 which seems to have a little of it all.

Project cars Seems to be a great Candidate for a full game hehe I Love it to pieces, and i love the passion they have for creating it .. and so what if the cars and tracks have different names instead of the real ones, it only means that we will have lots of exiting racing going on ;o)

Its a shame they have to cater for the "console" racer audience all the time! I understand why but there are 2 audiences for these types of games so why not have 2 modes? 1 FULL ON sim mode and a casual mode then everyone is happy. I was looking forward to this title but it's just going to be a another GRID/NFS/FORZA esc console race by what I hear in that interview :(

DRIVECLUB: New Gamescom Videos

Rob and Hollie from Playstation Access spoke to Evolution Studios about their DRIVECLUB simulation game which will be the launch title of the new Playstation 4 console later this year.

Hollie touches a couple of topics in her interview at Gamescom with Design Director Paul Rustchynsky, such as new cars, a new track, DRIVECLUB Live and the PS Plus Edition of PS4 exclusive #DRIVECLUB. You can watch the Gamescom interview...

DRIVECLUB: Five New 1080p Videos

After the Gamescom presentation of DRIVECLUB the guys from Evolution Studios promised to share their videos in a game's native 1080p resolution and today all five of them have been released.

DRIVECLUB will be the launch title for the brand new Playstation 4 console of Sony and like the Gran Turismo series the game obviously has to appeal to a very wide audience of gamers who have different needs and wishes.

The community manager for the game...

Do we think the devs will take advantage of the news consoles power and deliver a full blown sim in full 1080p glory? I heard PCars was going to be watered down for the consoles but I expect they were talking about the PS3/360? surely it wouldn't need watering down for the next gen machines? I only mention Pcars because it's the only one I've heard is going to be ported over.

Driveclub won't be a full blown sim. In best case we see a 'good' handling model with easy and fun but not accurate / realistic focus and performance to drive. Expect it around Forza Horizon (Xbox 360) or the last Driver game :)

Hardware-wise. NetKar Pro runs on 5 year old notebook... if someone is serious about it it's possible.

DRIVECLUB Delayed To Early 2014

Sony has confirmed that the highly anticipated launch-title of the PlayStation 4 has been officially delayed until early 2014.

On the official PlayStation blog Sony's Shuhei Yoshida confirmed the rumors of the last days by making a public statement about the set-back. Not good news for gamers that wanted to get their hands on the racing game by the developers from Evolution Studios.

Yoshida states that DRIVECLUB...

Yeah don't really care. Forza 5 won't leave me room for any other console racers. Weird that I do have a PS4 pre-ordered but don't have a single game ordered or really even in mind that I want...

Aww, now that's a shame Sony. The month before launch and you go and dash my hours like that.

Oh wait, I'm not getting a PS4, it just seems that with all of the pc games that I've been waiting for being delayed until 2014, I also thought this was one I should be bothered about too.

Ah well, such is a games life

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back