F1 2011 Drive Through Penalty for Nothing!

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Whilst racing in HRT at Melbourne, I was in 20th place on lap 18 and in front of me (approx 50m) there was a battle between 3 cars that had already lapped me. They crashed into each other and pieces flew all over the track. I drove straight over Kobayashi's Front Wing and I got given a Drive Penalty for causing a collision??

As if being in a HRT is bad enough without being given controversial penaltys!

Anyone had similar problem?

ive had a couple of drive throughs while behind the safety car for illegal overtaking when ive gone past the pits and someone has gone in for tyres. Also had 1 for passing the car that caused the safety car to come out.

Yeah some of the penalties can be quite iffy....however I do think a good percentage of the time they are justly awarded(atleast in SP), asides from when you get a penalty for an unavoidable accident, or as happened to me, I got spun out going into the last chicane at catalunya and got DQ'ed for corner cutting resulting in illegal overtakes when I had been tapped from behind by overzealous Kobyashi, ignoring the fact that I sailed through the run-off area sideways at 100mph....

I once got a penalty while serving a penalty. I must have cut the pit entrance.

What I dislike most are the illegal overtake and dangerous driving penalties. If you cut the corner and pass somebody, the game should give you a window of time to give it back, and if you don't, then you get a penalty, just like real F1.

As for dangerous driving, whenever I spin off and I'm not facing the track's direction, I get a penalty for dangerous driving. I have to be very cautious to get back on without hindering anybody, but the game prefers I get back on track as soon as possible so I can take out some cars. I love the irony of giving me a dangerous driving penalty for being safe.

I once got a penalty while serving a penalty. I must have cut the pit entrance.

What I dislike most are the illegal overtake and dangerous driving penalties. If you cut the corner and pass somebody, the game should give you a window of time to give it back, and if you don't, then you get a penalty, just like real F1.

As for dangerous driving, whenever I spin off and I'm not facing the track's direction, I get a penalty for dangerous driving. I have to be very cautious to get back on without hindering anybody, but the game prefers I get back on track as soon as possible so I can take out some cars. I love the irony of giving me a dangerous driving penalty for being safe.
I've had this happen a couple of times too.. it's very difficult to avoid a penalty if you have been spun around like that as it always gives the dangerous driving one as soon as you move in the wrong direction on the track (like when trying to spin around into the right direction).

How do you guys get Drive through penalty? All i get is 20 sec added time for: Illegal overtakes, causing a collision, cutting corners repeatedly, i even got disqualifyed trying to get a drive through.
I just restart the race at this point coz there ain´t no shot in hell i can outrun them with 20 sec. Drive through i´ll take anytime.

It is funny that this game seems to penalize you for being safe and/or driving like you should.

If you dive through the grass because four cars in front of you are crashing, you get a penalty for illegally overtaking.
If you hit a guy who's completely lost control of his car, you get a penalty (and usually more damage to boot).
If you spin out and stay put to let other cars go around, you get a penalty.
If you total your car because some stupid [naughty] online decided to try and take Eau Rouge with DRS open and crashed out of site, you get a massive grid drop.

I see why the penalties have to be there, but why not incorporate things mentioned here? Give players two sectors to give back an "illegally obtained" position, unless the area where the pass happened gets yellow flagged. That way genuine illegal moves get penalized, but accident avoidance does not.

Similarly, if you are the reason a yellow flag is out, you should not get a penalty for staying put. This can't be all that hard to code, since the game already seems to identify that a.) your car is stopped, and b.) other cars are coming.

Apply corner cutting penalties at the end of a sector. Have it be where if a player is X percent faster than the previous lap's sector time, penalize them. That way people who cut a corner but slow down (gain no advantage) are not penalized.

And in one of the interviews that I saw with Codies it was definitely said that the game would not immediately penalise but wait to see if a driver gave back any advantage gained... haven't seen that at all so far.

As for the flashback option the problem is that they have given such a small margin for error that by the time something happens and a penalty is received it is quite often too late to for the flashback to be any good. Why on earth they limited the flashback so much is beyond me (especially when it was criticised so much in F1 2010)....

50% isn't. Time flies in the race. :D Plus, tyre strategy actually comes into play, on 20% you only have to pit once.

I believe if you get a penalty in first part of 20% race you'll receive normal drive-through penalty, but later on it's gonna be time penalty, since there won't be time to serve it within 3 laps. Though I could be wrong.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 358 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 253 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 244 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%