Donington Park Grand Prix Circuit 1938

Tracks Donington Park Grand Prix Circuit 1938 1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
Thanks for the feedback. You are of course right about the hay bails. I will look to replace.

With regards track width at Starkeys straight. This was my biggest blind spot with info. That photo you posted is the only picture i have seen of that part. And its just the start of the straight. I will look at it again for sure

But believe me i cross referenced the gpl track. It confused as much as confirmed thingd for me. So please forgive me if i dont totally trust another persons interpretation (credit due a very good version at that)

This is a ongoing thing. So always happy for opinions

Thanks

FYI
This track has same issue as on Sandevoerde by Sergio Loro
If you load a race weekend you get a cut track penalty directly when the track is loaded.
Not really a issue, as everything seems to work OK when going into pits while racing.
but it should not be like that.....;)

i5PgCk.jpg

Anyway I love the track it looks great and has a nice flow. looking forward on updates.

Thanks

Thanks i will look to rectify for the next update

Hi,
Nice that you've made good progress, well done!

Some feedback (sorry I couldn't give this before, I didn't see when you released the video).

The track is much, much too wide in quite a few areas, most notably the back straight!
That straight was just a normal road, with corresponding width:
82.jpg

On yours unfortunately it is almost like an airfield runway! This really ruins that section as it makes it flat and you can basically straight-line it out where as in real life it was quite a challenging section.

In real life, the section down to the hairpin was reasonably wide (but still not runway wide) but this was an extension to the circuit and the rest of the back straight was normal width.

The section of from the start through redgate to the gate at the exit of hollywood is too wide too if you compare it to footage / photos.

Regarding the width of the rest of it, it looks reasonable from a casual inspection (i can't tell).

I would expect widths more akin to the GPL version:
(Sorry for the low quality video, it's all i could find on youtube - if you have gpl you can test it yourself to see for comparison).

From the videos i've seen, it looks like you are missing the gate house at Coppice.

Also, you seem to be using haybales everywhere but in the 30s they didn't really use haybales yet, instead they tended to favour sandbags, at least from a lot of footage of different races that i've seen, i've only seen sandbags, not haybales.

Anyway, it's really nice to see someone doing old circuits so please don't take this the wrong way - i'm just trying to help. Seriously take a look at the GPL version for pointers, it really is a decent version. Of course there is the footage / photos I linked you before too.

Thanks for your efforts!
Ps the gate house is there. Perhaps needs to scaled down a little to make it more visible

I found another little bug. The left side of the bridge has the invisible wall to much to the right. Here I'm crashing against it and you can see there is some centimetres until the physical model:
20170923181711_1.jpg

Please do more old circuits!

I found another little bug. The left side of the bridge has the invisible wall to much to the right. Here I'm crashing against it and you can see there is some centimetres until the physical model:
View attachment 213097

Please do more old circuits!
ok cool looking at that now - seems i used a old collision mesh kn5 exported the wrong one from blender, i already had a better version, i have a few things to do but will add this in the next update

thanks

I would expect widths more akin to the GPL version:
(Sorry for the low quality video, it's all i could find on youtube - if you have gpl you can test it yourself to see for comparison).
After a bit of a struggle I got GPL running again and captured a lap of its version that's a bit better quality.

After a bit of a struggle I got GPL running again and captured a lap of its version that's a bit better quality.

thanks Buddy, that was interesting, though if i'm honest i'm still not sure what this tells me exactly, looks from this video (if i'm to take that the GPL version is accurate, as it must be based on the same info available to me) that i have indeed made the back straight a little to wide. i will look at this, though i'm also interested in making the track a fun thing to race on and there are not many passing opportunities as it is, so this could be a case of whats the right thing to do in the end.

but with regards track width at Melbourne hairpin, i think the GPL version is to narrow, mine may be a little wide but it is based on a measurement (again i could be off with this, i'm trusting that the tarmac still in place at donington now is some way close to how it was back then. it was the best i had to go off

as for heights i think overall my version is a lot closer to reality

but again all this is open to opinion, this is only my interpretation and most of all i wanted it to be fun

If I'm honest, I'm not sure what this tells you exactly either! I set out to do it after reading the earlier post and then later read that you'd tried the GPL version. I suppose maybe it shows that you and the GPL author had pretty much the same vision of what this long-dead circuit looked like.

How cool would it be to have a driver suit mod with these cool old school gloves and hands showing. Only if we have the old school cars to drive with them ;)

If I'm honest, I'm not sure what this tells you exactly either! I set out to do it after reading the earlier post and then later read that you'd tried the GPL version. I suppose maybe it shows that you and the GPL author had pretty much the same vision of what this long-dead circuit looked like.

How cool would it be to have a driver suit mod with these cool old school gloves and hands showing. Only if we have the old school cars to drive with them ;)
Well @mantasisg is currently working on the w125 its in a pretty good state already

Absolutely brilliant, thanks so much. I've hoped for a good version of this track for years, and here it is. I live near Donington and used to go on the loop down to the Melbourne Hairpin years ago before all the new buildings were built, as it used to be part of the route into the Sunday market. It feels just like I remember as you went over the crest, and saw the hairpin down the hill in front of you. Only thing I can mention is I'm not sure how close the sizing is - if old maps that say the circuit was 3 miles 220 yards long (so around 5500m) are accurate, its smaller and tighter than the real track would have been. As it is, it FEELS just right and is absolutely epic, especially in the F2004. Damn good job!

Sorry to choose your support section to ask this but, I'm no longer receiving any alert notification on RD (this track included). I don't why. on the preferences everything is default.
anyone?
Thanks

Hi Jim, thanks for the great track mate, totally forgot to write you a little something. The issues I had when testing are gone now, works perfectly fine. What a beauty! Cheers!:thumbsup:

Hi Jim. Thank you for your work in releasing this track. It is great that more historic content is being released. Sorry to bump the thread but are their plans to further improve this mod? Ie bring it to final V1.0? Only saying because I am going through all my tracks in VR and the FPS fluctuates quite a bit compared to stock tracks. I am really wanting to keep this track but hard to run at present. Keep up the great work mate.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 362 15.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.2%