Donington Historic Festival Preview

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Donington Historic Festival.jpg

Image:Jeff Bloxham
Deep in the heart of the Leicestershire countryside sits the iconic Donington Park Grand Prix Circuit, a sweeping ribbon of tarmac featuring some of the United Kingdom’s most challenging and entertaining corners set amongst the beautiful rolling hillsides of Castle Donington.

Donington Park is famed for its mighty undulations and pre and post war racing exploits. At any given event, one can close their eyes and easily imagine the heroes of yesteryear wrestling their auto racing machines at breakneck speeds around the 1.979 mile venue, looking to become champion of the world or simply embracing the pure unrestricted joy of pitting man and machine against each other in the pursuit of reaching the chequered flag in first place.

To celebrate a rich history of motor racing this coming weekend, Donington Park will once again reverberate to the chorus of classic cars as the circuit continues its tradition of hosting the annual Donington Historic Festival - an event aimed at bringing back on track a wide variety of different vehicles from the many memorable eras of closed top and open wheel racing heritage.

The Donington Historic Festival is a 3 day celebration of motorsport, promising to have upwards of 400 cars spanning across 8 magnificent decades of racing competing against period rivals in three thrilling action packed days of door to door racing, off track activities and demonstrations from some of the finest examples of race, rally and road cars in anywhere in Europe.

Donington Historic Festival GT40.jpg

Image: Peter de Rousset-Hall

With races taking place featuring machines from as early as the 1920’s to the late 1990’s, the Donington Historic Festival offers a little something for everyone with an interest in period racing cars.

On both Saturday and Sunday, fans at the circuit will be treated to a very special on track display featuring a selection of legendary Formula One machinery in the form of the 2002 Jordan EJ12 from Takuma Sato’s F1 debut year, the ex-Michael Schumacher 1992 Benetton B192, and the 1990 Camel Lotus 102 (ex-Derek Warwick/Martin Brundle/Johnny Herbert). The previous two decades will be represented by the ex-Rupert Keegan 1977 Hesketh 308E, 1983 Williams FW08 (ex-Keke Rosberg/Jacques Laffite), the ex-Jean-Pierre Jarier/Piercarlo Ghinzani/Corrado Fabi 1983 Osella FA1-D and two Tolemans. The 1985 TG-185 is ex-Teo Fabi, while the 1984 TG-184 was Ayrton Senna’s regular test car throughout 1984.

As well as the 17 races held over the 3 day event on the main Donington Park circuit, fans attending the festival will be able to enjoy action from the Historic Rally Car Register's mighty collection of Group B specification rally cars. Performing demonstration runs on a specially created stage around the Melbourne Loop area of the track throughout the day. The Group B cars are a must see for anyone with an interest in rally's most dangerous and spectacular period.

Donington Historic Festival Group B.jpg

Image Syd Wall

As Donington Park comes alive with the sound of yesteryear (in what for many UK and overseas fans is a highlight of the racing season), we at RaceDepartment.com will be right in the heart of things at the track on Sunday and Monday. We aim to bring you reports of the on track action and share some of the excitement from the events impressive schedule of on and off track activity.

Keep an eye out on RaceDepartment next week for a full review of the event and quotes from several of the key personalities involved in running what is fast becoming the UK’s premier historic event outside of the Goodwood Festival.

It is still not too late to get in on the action this weekend as tickets continue to be on sale online or on the gate for each of the festival’s 3 days of racing. With free paddock access allowing fans to get up close and personal with the many priceless cars on show, the Donington Historic Festival is a great opportunity to enjoy some of motor sports great sights, sounds and smells first hand.

Single-day advance discounted tickets for the Donington Historic Festival are available for a limited period at £21. Two-day tickets are £34 and the full three-day weekend ticket costs just £48 (on-the-gate prices will be £28, £45 and £65, respectively). Children aged under 16 are admitted for free. Advance discounted tickets can be bought via www.doningtonhistoric.com and through the 24-hour ticket hotline 0844 873 7355.

Are you attending the 2016 Donington Historic Festival? Have you been to previous editions of the event? What are you most looking forward to seeing out on track? Like classic racing cars? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited by a moderator:
UK is way too far, but my tickets for the Spa Classic (hopefully again with Group C) are here and Oldtimer Grand Prix Nürburgring will be a certain visit!
Nice to see these articles! And how lucky I am to love close to three circuits, historical F1 at Zolder was very nice.

Does anyone know if this will be partly televised or YouTube'd?

I've enjoyed the Silverstone classic for the last few years (unfortunately I've missed the Mazda 767 both times!) and was thinking about Donington the other day. last time I went there it was a bit of a mess as they'd started digging the place up for the Grand Prix. Great circuit though.

Hey Andrew,

I don't think it will be televised sadly, its not been on any sort of coverage the last few years as far as I am aware :(

Been going since 2011 and it keeps getting better year on year. The circuit has been fixed up quite a bit now and the majority of the infield is back open again and fully turfed.

Biggest loss since the F1 situation was the removal of the pub at Redgate... still, with that gone its a nice view into the braking zone and up to holly wood so i suppose its not all bad.

Donington's looking good at the moment, worth another visit mate I'm sure :)

Hey Andrew,

I don't think it will be televised sadly, its not been on any sort of coverage the last few years as far as I am aware :(

Been going since 2011 and it keeps getting better year on year. The circuit has been fixed up quite a bit now and the majority of the infield is back open again and fully turfed.

Biggest loss since the F1 situation was the removal of the pub at Redgate... still, with that gone its a nice view into the braking zone and up to holly wood so i suppose its not all bad.

Donington's looking good at the moment, worth another visit mate I'm sure :)

That's good to know mate, thanks for the info. Shame there isn't any online stream, I'll have a look anyway just in case :)

It's by accident really that most of the events I look at going to are at Silverstone at the moment (circuit specification I guess), may catch the Touring Cars one year if it doesn't cause a problem with work.

With the cost of travel from Guernsey I have to be a bit picky with what I go to unfortunately, on the plus side flying into East Midlands puts me within short distance of the circuit.

Shame about the pub going, that was one thing that I always loved about the circuit, only went in there once or twice but it was unique.

If you are going, hope you have a good day. Fingers crossed it warms up a bit for you all :thumbsup:

One of those classic events we could recreate in virtual world here at Racedepartment.com
Simjunkies have Le Mans classic ( 2 day event ) Raceconnect have Goodwood Revival ( 2 day event )

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 264 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 175 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 174 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 128 7.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 234 13.6%