1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

PC does RD have a dedicated server just active? or only club races?

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa' started by Pablo Cortes, May 11, 2014.

1. I hate racing on the public servers because you dont know what clown is gonna ruin a race for you... does race dpt have like an all day active looping server with just specific combos? like Mugello-e30 so drivers from race department can join when ever they have a chance to play and not scheduled races?

if not... can we get one?

2. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

We have a few test servers up at the moment but apart from that: no we don't host any private servers other than the club servers.

In recent years we have tried many times to have a fun server up with a password that people can join whenever they wish but unfortunately people will never join first as there seems to be a huge barrier to join a server first. #simsheepeffect :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. I see! yeah it sounded like a good idea.. sheep effect lol weird
    and the test servers how can I locate them right now? any names you might now?

4. Leemstradamus

Leemstradamus
    Mid pack attack!

I know we have discussed having members be able to set one up. Hopefully we can get it going since racing with all of you was a blast!

Last edited: May 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Bram

Bram

SimSheepEffect* is the time it takes to fill up a passworded server without a signup list:
    • Server is idle for 60 minutes
    • Player 1 joins all alone by himself to do some practice.
    • People in the main lobby think mééééééh one person, not going to bother, lets get myself rammed in the first corner of a public Monza race instead and afterwards complain about the horrible driver standards.
    • 90 minutes later Player 1 is still all by himself lapping alone.
    • 95 minutes: Player 2 joins. Player 1 and 2 now have safe haven to race each other.
    • The flok thinks meééééééh not going to join a server with two people. Lets get myself punted by a driver racing in the wrong direction on a fully filled public Imola server instead. #Repeat rant procedure after punting.#
    • 100 minutes: Player 3, 4 and 5 had enough of the ramming and join the passworded server.
    • 105 minutes: Flok notices activity and Player 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 join.
    • 105 minutes and 30 seconds: Server all of a sudden completely fills up by player 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24,
    • Race starts and people have a safe race.
    Bottomline: as long as there is a player 1 joining soon it will work but he needs to stick there for the long run otherwise the flok won't join the lonely sheep :(

sheep.jpg

* take with a grain of salt

Last edited: May 11, 2014
    • Haha Haha x 9
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. its too bad I dont have the option to host a server :( ill try being a lonely sheep maybe something will come up

7. Stelios

Stelios
    Premium Member

I suggest you give 5 or 10 people admin rights at racedepartment steam group so they can actually "announce" the initiation of bookings and that way people will join in. Just a thought:)

8. Bram

Bram

I doubt much people check that page. Or can you make it appear in their steam screen?

9. Stereo

Stereo
    Premium Member

When a scheduled event hits its time, Steam makes a popup (not the kind that steals focus, but it's noticeable if you're at the computer)

• Beer Beer x 1
  10. Ross Balfour

Ross Balfour
    #99 | Roaring Pipes Maniacs

If there was an RD server on, I'd definitely just race on it, sick of being t-boned by people thinking we're playing NFS :(

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Stelios

Stelios
    Premium Member

If you make a group announcement then all users in the group get a pop up. I think its a really nice idea.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bram

Bram

Oh that is nice indeed. Lets have a look into that then :)

• Like Like x 3
  13. Stelios

Stelios
    Premium Member

I am pretty sure that if this is used correctly, the servers will fill up in no time.
    Its a similar system we used to use back in the good old days of Counter-Strike, through IRC bots. Worked really good.
    Don't forget to remove the 1hr booking time :)

• Beer Beer x 1
  14. Ryan Ogurek

Ryan Ogurek
    Editor / Automotive News Staff

Plus one to all that. I would love to have a server to go on whenever. Perhaps start a thread where people could say "hey I'll b on in two hours, anyone want to join me?"

• Like Like x 1
  15. Falk Massmann

Falk Massmann
    Premium Member

Good idea, I like it very much.

16. Leemstradamus

Leemstradamus
    Mid pack attack!

We're all members so why not rotate the password daily. An announcement will pop up in a banner at the top of the screen or something. Please I so want this feature!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yes please, with a three year old to look after it's difficult to commit to set events sometimes, this would be a great compromise.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Falk Massmann

Falk Massmann
    Premium Member

I don´t want to change my name in steam to my original name, but I guess it would be neccessary since the server will use my steam name. I don´t have any problems with my real name for the forums and TS. So how you guys handle this?

19. Leemstradamus

Leemstradamus
    Mid pack attack!

Unfortunately at the moment we still don't have the ability to offer this feature yet. We are investigating having it in the future but the server tools are still to limited at the moment.

20. Leemstradamus

Leemstradamus
    Mid pack attack!

I think I just changed my name in assetto corsa and it is displayed as that. Maybe if you haven't set a name in the game it defaults to your steam name.