PC1 Does it look this good while driving?

saw this screenshot by chromatic9
seriously does this game look this good while playing?
or is it like GT5 photmode?

6884789638_0442422f34_z.jpg

It is in game, I have a good system and have the game and it looks amazing real, there are even peaces of rubber and leaves flying by your head if you drive up eau rouge @ Spa
Isnt that in Shift 2 as well. ? as well as the suckly sounds that are made going over the rubber marbles.
Sucky is the only way I know how to describe that particular sound that is made and not a description of Shifts 2 sound quality.
What Id be more interested in if these were actual pieces of rubber that came from the tires and in doing so the tires showed true degradation from the fact of pieces of rubber coming off and likewise sticking on to other tires when someone drove off the racing line.
I wonder which it is , something that is part off and affecting the physic simulation or a graphical effect ?

It is in game, I have a good system and have the game and it looks amazing real, there are even peaces of rubber and leaves flying by your head if you drive up eau rouge @ Spa

Just exactly like Shift 2 then. !!!!;):) In fact I'd say it was Shift 2 modded. I have a very good system mate. So good it melts the paint of the Ferrari parked in my heated garage.:cool: But it definetly does not look that good in motion, oh no sir. And you know that.

What Id be more interested in if these were actual pieces of rubber that came from the tires and in doing so the tires showed true degradation from the fact of pieces of rubber coming off and likewise sticking on to other tires when someone drove off the racing line.
I wonder which it is , something that is part off and affecting the physic simulation or a graphical effect ?
I don't know of any game/sim that has been able to replicate this yet, lol.

In PCARS, the 'rubber' on track is effectively the same effect as it was in Shift2, which is really no surprise seeing as SMS are behind PCARS and were also behind Shift2. With PCARS, SMS don't have to answer to EA (as they did with the Shift titles) so can do their own thing.

IMO, PCARS is good, and better than Shift2, but it isn't perfect (no driving sims/games are) but it is progressing nicely. The graphic artists are doing some sterling work with car, track and driver builds/animations. The lighting is very well done and the day/night transitioning is excellent.

It appears it won't be a full on 100% sim, but be more sim than Shift2 was. It will be to some tastes, but not others, but then aren't all sims/games like this anyway?

It appears it won't be a full on 100% sim, but be more sim than Shift2 was. It will be to some tastes, but not others, but then aren't all sims/games like this anyway?

But it was promised to be the best sim ever when they were touting for beta testers to pay to play and test builds.

I don't know of any game/sim that has been able to replicate this yet, lol.

In PCARS, the 'rubber' on track is effectively the same effect as it was in Shift2, which is really no surprise seeing as SMS are behind PCARS and were also behind Shift2. With PCARS, SMS don't have to answer to EA (as they did with the Shift titles) so can do their own thing.

IMO, PCARS is good, and better than Shift2, but it isn't perfect (no driving sims/games are) but it is progressing nicely. The graphic artists are doing some sterling work with car, track and driver builds/animations. The lighting is very well done and the day/night transitioning is excellent.

I was only trying to get clarification of whether is was a graphical or simulation effect especially when it was described as more real.
Dont Codemasters have that particular graphical effect as well in their last attempt at F1.
Id have to aggree that by having graphical effects such as these that certain games can look more sim that others.

The difference is you can actually see and hear the marbled / rubbered areas and they even move or fly. Which is a good thing.

I'm not sure how extendable that system is... you could, say, exchange the skid marks with rubber marbles. The skidmarks are dynamically created based on physics output data (but that's nothing new I guess)

The sucky sound only appears at higher velocity, drive over them at <10 kph and they sound more normally. They get a bit more silent relative to other sounds if you increase everything in the ingame sounds menu (in S2U, dunno about pCars) so that might be some kind of bug unless they did that on purpose (then it would be a "feature" even if a 'sucky' one :eek: )

I would have thought it would be a better idea to have the steering reflect driving over the marbles especially as they are visible rather than suckly sounds :) . The race series I follow is V8 Supercars and commentators of the series ( previous and current drivers of the same series) constantly mention how the steering vibration from driving over them is extremely physically demanding of the driver for a lap or 2 after driving through them. Obviously to get the most of this scenario would require players to drive with a FFB wheel.

One quick ? Kazumi if you are a member of pCars. Any idea of what they are going to do with online play. Reading comments on different sites would suggest that they are heading consoles in a big way and console based games for the most part are p2p online. Or will they go the traditional route of pc based sims and allow (private) servers.

OK, so it's not even as good as Shift 2 then? Wow.:) I do like Shift 2, it's very good with the Community Mod. But if like you say, Pcars is not even as good or close to Shift 2 then it's bad.
Think you got me wrong there. pCars is Much better than Shift 2 in every aspect. graphics is great in Shift 2, but pCars is just fantastic. and the handling physics are getting better by every build they release. in my opinion the handling is awfull in shift 2.
But why don't you become a part of the comunity at wmd and try it. its really worth it

Driving Shift after a few month I must say that Shift looks better and different, it runs at 100fps highest setting. With pCars I get 45-65 fps.pCars looks more like rFactor2 with the cockpitcam, in replay it looks the same as Shift.
They didn't work on the FFB for weeks now and Shift has FFB, the only problem I have with Shift is the car weight and grip.

Nope, in my opinion going on the video's I have seen, it looks just about as good as Shift 1. Handling wise, when I did try it, it was poor. But I have not tried the latest builds so I will wait for the final demo to see that aspect. I certainly won't pay to do beta testing.

I would have thought it would be a better idea to have the steering reflect driving over the marbles especially as they are visible rather than suckly sounds :) . The race series I follow is V8 Supercars and commentators of the series ( previous and current drivers of the same series) constantly mention how the steering vibration from driving over them is extremely physically demanding of the driver for a lap or 2 after driving through them. Obviously to get the most of this scenario would require players to drive with a FFB wheel.
The main point is to make marbles visible and audible (which they achieved, maybe slightly overshoot it :eek: )

Marbles were in other sims such as GTR2 but they were flat and not marble-ish (not hedgehog-ish either)

I agree, the surface simulation should be better including dynamic marbles on tarmac. Although I'd rather have this effect minimized then overexagarated.

One quick ? Kazumi if you are a member of pCars. Any idea of what they are going to do with online play. Reading comments on different sites would suggest that they are heading consoles in a big way and console based games for the most part are p2p online. Or will they go the traditional route of pc based sims and allow (private) servers.
I am not, but it would surprise me if they overlook that.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back