Does AC really need mods ?

I think having a strong base content and vast variety mods will make a game great.
Developers cant make all the cars/tracks due to licencing issues so modding community can bring us content that we wouldnt normally get. Some times modders have done better job on mods than even the game developers themself.

Freedom to choose is a good thing and no one is forced to use mods.

Mods prolong the life of any race SIM, no discussion, imho... those who say most mods are "not that good" anyway, haven't played the right ones, and/or have prevented themselfs to enjoy the real quality mods, over dubious morals regarding "legality"

As, such, the true gems, usually stay private and unseen for the majority of this already tiny community... shooting ourselves in the foot, like true humans :roflmao:

but lets avoid that minefield of a discussion :)

In short, Yes, Because in 5 years time i don't want to be stuck with the same 10 tracks and cars that came with the SIM when it launched, nor do i want part with 15€ for a new track (even if it's "laserscanned") if i was that silly, i'd be on a playstation, not on a PC... ;)

I like mods. For some one like myself who is almost exclusively an offline player, they add a lot of interest to any sim. I agree there are many poor ones but I can try them and if I don't like them then I'm not forced to use them. I certainly feel extremely grateful to the modding community for the many cars and tracks they've added to my games over the years. With the issue of licences now being more prevalent getting series mods becomes more important. I doubt we will ever see the content of things like Race 07 and its expansion packs ever again.

Really all depends on the original quality, and then content the original game/sim makers are prepared to put out there, and how often.

DLC is generally a pay and you shall get type of scenario, mods on the whole is generally free.

The differences are of course, that whilst free modding is available, in all but a few cases it will be of a sub-standard quality compared to official releases. Mainly due to lack of man power and all the toys and coding the the original suppliers have at their disposal.

Personally speaking, mods can only help keep interest and longevity in a game/sim, but only if done well. If not, the worst that can happen is you end up with what the game was originally intended to be, and that's why we bought it right?

Assetto looks very promising on both fronts, both for modding and for the actual original content......should keep both sides of the fence happy.

And if it is backed properly.......this title I can see running for many years to come.

Mods are essential unless you make a load of content yourself and for low volume users like this kinda game that means high unit cost and not many simmers have that much cash.

I certainly don't want to pay more for any AC DLC content, or if I do maybe £10 tops for some really nice stuff.

For the rest I'll rely on good modders. Good mod content can be just as well made or better made than the developer made stuff... Sans some surface details of course.

No offence to modders, but i have yet to come across a track or a car anywhere near the level of the stuff you get as standard from KS. Enduracers is ok, but the internal texturing and modelling let them down.

Tracks wise not seen anything truly beautiful like KS or iRacing tracks.

I think with what i have seen so far (only rF, rF2 mods obviously) I will stick with paid for DLC from KS.

Kunos will provide DLC and new features for years to come so I don't see mods as essential for a long life. However there will always be cars and tracks Kunos don't make so there is a place for mods. But modders will have to significantly raise their game to match the quality of the Kunos cars and tracks.
Very well summed up.

No offence to modders, but i have yet to come across a track or a car anywhere near the level of the stuff you get as standard from KS. Enduracers is ok, but the internal texturing and modelling let them down.

Tracks wise not seen anything truly beautiful like KS or iRacing tracks.

I think with what i have seen so far (only rF, rF2 mods obviously) I will stick with paid for DLC from KS.
I agree. It's down to a personnal feeling but I can't get myself to completely enjoy a modded car or track knowing they perhaps didn't have the manufacturer data or didn't get the proportions of the track exactly right. Maybe I'll miss out on some "gems" but with the amount of quality content KS will deliver I'm sure there won't be much to be missed.

Last edited:
Mods prolong the life of any race SIM, no discussion, imho... those who say most mods are "not that good" anyway, haven't played the right ones, and/or have prevented themselfs to enjoy the real quality mods, over dubious morals regarding "legality"

As, such, the true gems, usually stay private and unseen for the majority of this already tiny community... shooting ourselves in the foot, like true humans :roflmao:

but lets avoid that minefield of a discussion :)

In short, Yes, Because in 5 years time i don't want to be stuck with the same 10 tracks and cars that came with the SIM when it launched, nor do i want part with 15€ for a new track (even if it's "laserscanned") if i was that silly, i'd be on a playstation, not on a PC... ;)

Best answer. One thing is certain: I will not pay for any DLC, if it's free ok, if not i'll go in other directions, rFactor2 for example wich is great too...

Still have friends simracers that didn't bought AC yet because they'll want to see the way it goes, for sure with paid DLC they'll run away from it...

Best answer. One thing is certain: I will not pay for any DLC, if it's free ok, if not i'll go in other directions, rFactor2 for example wich is great too...

Still have friends simracers that didn't bought AC yet because they'll want to see the way it goes, for sure with paid DLC they'll run away from it...

Oh blooming eck! Do you want to have the same discussion on here as the AC forums? lol

So, those of you that will refuse to buy official extra content, how do you think the developers will be able to fund the continual updating and improvement of AC for the next 5 years and the eventual development of their next product?

Without continual revenue streams you end up with a stagnant product.

You want the best possible simulation platform for the next 5 years or so but aren't prepared to support it after your initial £30 outlay? Poor show chaps, poor show.

Say what you like about iRacing, but the reason it's been here 5 years already, is able to keep knocking out major updates every three months, top quality content several times a year and will still be here in 10 years time is because it's user base support the product.

It appears that far too many sim racers simply don't think of the big picture. Expecting 5 years of entertainment for £30 is beyond cheap. No wonder we have so few quality products in our hobby.

So, those of you that will refuse to buy official extra content, how do you think the developers will be able to fund the continual updating and improvement of AC for the next 5 years and the eventual development of their next product?

Without continual revenue streams you end up with a stagnant product.

You want the best possible simulation platform for the next 5 years or so but aren't prepared to support it after your initial £30 outlay? Poor show chaps, poor show.

Say what you like about iRacing, but the reason it's been here 5 years already, is able to keep knocking out major updates every three months, top quality content several times a year and will still be here in 10 years time is because it's user base support the product.

It appears that far too many sim racers simply don't think of the big picture. Expecting 5 years of entertainment for £30 is beyond cheap. No wonder we have so few quality products in our hobby.

I could not agree with you more, if you want the 'Quality' of a stuff that we are getting than you have to help out and pay, its as simple as that.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back