Do you think we need a FFB Clipping meter?

Why do you disagree, if you don't mind me asking?

Anything that can help players get the most from their wheels should be supported. For example the pedal overlay plugin for rF2 gave me the information to improve my FFB experience quite considerably. Something similar for R3E (developed in-house, obviously) would be a great help to many. Setting up FFB forces in this game is already too convoluted in my opinion.

I made precisely this point elsewhere....
Anyway, um, what exactly is clipping? :redface:
How do I explain this.....

Ok, ideally you want the game and wheel forces to match so, for instance, when the game outputs 50% steering force the wheel also delivers 50% FFB. Essentially you only want to feel 100% FFB strength through the wheel when the game outputs 100%. If the wheel is delivering 100% FFB strength when the game is only telling it to output 50% (for example) - that's clipping.

Basically it's the wheel maxing-out steering force before it should do. Clipping can be barely noticeable when it occurs close to 100% or quite severe when it happens much sooner. The result is a loss of detail and subtlety in the FFB.

If we know when the FFB is clipping we can adjust the in-game FFB strength to fix it. Having some kind of visual display is much easier than trying to adjust through feel alone.

How do I explain this.....

Ok, ideally you want the game and wheel forces to match so, for instance, when the game outputs 50% steering force the wheel also delivers 50% FFB. Essentially you only want to feel 100% FFB strength through the wheel when the game outputs 100%. If the wheel is delivering 100% FFB strength when the game is only telling it to output 50% (for example) - that's clipping.

Basically it's the wheel maxing-out steering force before it should do. Clipping can be barely noticeable when it occurs close to 100% or quite severe when it happens much sooner. The result is a loss of detail and subtlety in the FFB.

If we know when the FFB is clipping we can adjust the in-game FFB strength to fix it. Having some kind of visual display is much easier than trying to adjust through feel alone.
Aha, that makes sense. Thanks for the reply :)

You can feel clipping best on high speed corners... If during a high speed corner you only feel centering force but all other stuff (road surface detail, even rumble strips) is absent, you have forces set too high and are encountering clipping.

See also:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 347 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years