Do paddle shifter/manual shift affect performance?

Is there some small penalty for running with paddles compared to manual shifter when running GT3 cars and such? Can people cheat using macros that simulate a H-shifter?

There is a small shift delay if you use paddle shifter on a supposedly H-pattern car. For example, on the 90s DTM cars if you use paddle shifter to shift gears, the gear change is not "instant" but with a very notable delay to avoid paddle users gaining advantage over H-pattern users.
I'm not sure if people can use macro to cheat though. Maybe they can.

I've messed around with Arduino based shifters and pedals and I think you could implement shift macros but it's hard to see the point. Unless people start making big money from winning races in AC I don't see why anyone would bother as any laptime improvement would probably be minimal.

• Deleted member 130869

People used something of similar mentality for GPL and NR2003 and there was no money involved, only high profile online races.

I think you can't even use H-pattern on GT3 cars. ?

If you could, the shift time for these cars is so quick you wouldn't gain much by using a macro.

For the road cars though a macro could give few tenths for sure. Never saw such things made for AC but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Some guys were using this sort of thing in LFS.

After my G27 H shifter pots sort of died, I lost 1st and 2nd gear, so I started to use paddles only.
With my experience I can assure that if there is any advantage (in AC, not ISI based games) it goes to the H pattern users. The game simply doesn't allow you to switch gears as fast as you could otherwise. No matter what clutch input you use, it is slower.

Also, blipping the throttle while using paddles is a nightmare timing wise.

I think you can't even use H-pattern on GT3 cars. ?
Yeah, if the car is sequential paddle shifted, you'll get a fixed shift time no matter what input you use.

If it's H-pattern and you use sequential shifting, you'll get a fixed shift time.
If you use automatic clutch you'll also get a fixed clutch time, if you manual clutch you can speed up that aspect (but not the actual shift)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 272 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 398 40.0%