1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

DIY project (WIP)

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Alberto Casado, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Alberto Casado

Alberto Casado

Ratings:
    +788
    Though it would be nice to share while this is being built and also document myself a bit.
    Unfortunately the next iteration will happen after Xmas (not going to be at home). It will take weeks of tinkering for sure.

The project:
    • Vibration feedback for chair (very much self made, not following anything)
      • Adapt a comfortable chair, integrate with pedal stand (0%)
        • Shaker with telemetry related effects
        • hack subwoofer to build shaker (0%)
        • amplifier for shaker, might scrap some for old hifi. (0%)
        • rpm effects using voltage controlled oscillator and arduino (50%)
        • ...?
    • Supporting infrastructure
      • RF1 plugin that sends telemetry data to network socket (taken from https://github.com/Grumbel/rfactorlcd)
      • Python scripts that chew the data and control arduino (10%)
      • I may offload later all the python to a separate beaglebone/raspberry pi (0%)

Some pics of the load cell test setup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I tested already and works fine. I have just to settle on how much amplification and then solder everything to a little board. Probably also beautifying/reinforcing the load cell support.

• Like Like x 2
  2. HUM24H

HUM24H
    Godspeed Premium

Ratings:
    +66
    Sounds good! Also sounds like a lot of work :)

I always enjoy DIY stuff, so very much look forward to more updates.

3. Alberto Casado

Alberto Casado

Ratings:
    +788
    After almost a year (and a bit of abandonment) I put some more work into the setup.

The project:
      • Adapt a comfortable chair, integrate with pedal stand (100%)
        • ...?
    • Supporting infrastructure
      • RF1 plugin that sends telemetry data to network socket (taken from https://github.com/Grumbel/rfactorlcd)
      • Python scripts that chew the data and control arduino (10%)
      • I may offload later all the python to a separate beaglebone/raspberry pi (0%)
    I will add a couple of pictures of the setup shortly.
    The next thing to do is to re-install all the arduino+python stuff and attach the dashboard indicator to the wheel support so I have something usable.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Alberto Casado

Alberto Casado

Ratings:
    +788
    As promised, some pictures

The complete setup
    [​IMG]

I went for a discrete look when not racing, removing the wheel frame is easy.

[​IMG]

And the wheel frame is held by two homemade supports behind the monitors. I have to upgrade the screw to something I can operate by hand (thumbscrew + nut embedded in the wood probably)

[​IMG]

The chair is a normal ikea chair, just raised and tilted a bit to the front. Very comfortable both for racing and working on the computer. The grip is enough, I don't slide when I brake.
    It does not look too weird in the living room. It can also be simply lifted from the base and used elsewhere.

[​IMG]

Finally, the pedal set lives in what the designers of the computer table expected would host a printer. I can stretch my legs when working on the PC, or lift them and race. The brake pedal has a 20kg load cell (there is not much leverage on it, so 20kg on the pedal face = 20kg on the cell, enough for me).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  5. Insert Coin

Insert Coin

Ratings:
    +103
    Idea perhaps: I'm using C-clamps to fasten the wheel plank (at the front of the desk), you can fasten them by hand.

• Beer Beer x 1
  6. Paul Blythe

Paul Blythe

Ratings:
    +112
    Nice ... really liking the mod for the Poang chair.

Really wish I'd seen this thread before paying out for a Ricmotech LC. Don't mind getting my hands dirty in the name of saving money :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alberto Casado

Alberto Casado

Ratings:
    +788
    Another good step. I made some glue-code between a RF plugin and the Arduino HUD from batrako.

So from: RF1 plugin that sends telemetry data to network socket (taken from https://github.com/Grumbel/rfactorlcd)
    I forked that project and removed all the fat I did not need: https://github.com/albertogomcas/pyRFtelemetry

• Revamp G27 pedals:
      • Adapt a comfortable chair, integrate with pedal stand (100%)
        • ...?
    I need to ponder now what is more interesting, delta times in the display or pedal vibration

8. Alberto Casado

Alberto Casado

Ratings:
    +788
    Oh boy, the seemingly easy delta time is a hard bone with rfactor plugins. I need to chew on that one longer than I though.

Nevertheless, I basically rewrote the arduino HUD, cleaning up the code, making communication more reliable and adding features. Behold:

Features:
    - Gear / Speed
    - Fuel / Lap number
    - Fuel / Autonomy (laps until out of fuel)
    - Place / Time behind car in front
    - (todo) Delta time

http://imgur.com/a/lSYkR/all

upload_2015-11-22_12-59-57.png

Grab the stuff at https://github.com/albertogomcas/pyRFtelemetry

9. Alberto Casado

Alberto Casado

Ratings:
    +788
    And so, the status of the project (I will not repeat links here, look previous posts):
    • Revamp G27 pedals:
      • Load cell done
      • Inverted done
      • Pedal vibration 10%
    • RF1 / GSCE HUD
      • Display race info 80% (functional as it is)
    • Vibration feedback for chair
      • Integrate with pedal stand done
      • Possibly cancelled ideas:

10. asteroulis

asteroulis

Ratings:
    +53
    Please don't cancel your simvibe todo..you cannot imagine how much it adds to the game. Simxperience have the software on sale for black Friday. you could save some bucks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Alberto Casado

Alberto Casado

Ratings:
    +788
    I'll keep it open then. The 80-so eur of simvibe is almost what I spent in the full project so far (besides the arduino), so if I go for it it will be homemade.

12. asteroulis

asteroulis

Ratings:
    +53
    No problem with the homemade Shakers. I started with an old woofer I had sitting around and I was very happy. My only problem was the looks and the big footprint . The software itself is what makes the whole difference.I think it's 20%off for the sales. Don't miss it especially now that you're on a budget.