1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY button box, will this work?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Lenard Schaeffler, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Since my G27 shift pod buttons went out, I am kind of struggling to replace their functionality, since I wanted some cool looking button box anyway, figured I would make one. Went digging though the mandatory nerd parts bin and found a circuit board for a saitek cyborg command unit (looked like This at one point) I also have the boards and wires for the mini stick portion and the bottom button. I was hoping I would be able to use this to make my box, but the only stumbling block I have reached is if memory serves me correctly, the main interface between the majority of the buttons and the board was a ribbon stye ICB (piece of plastic with the wiring embedded). Would anyone be able to tell me if I could solder regular wire into those terminals or if I am SOL without being able to reproduce that plastic sheeting?

Thanks ahead of time

2. As long as you are good with a soldering iron you should be able to hard wire them no problem. The ribbon should not have made any cross connections so the wiring should be simple.
  3. Yup as Jim say's :) Should be pretty easy :)
  4. Thast what I figured, thank you gentlemen, sometimes it makes me realize how nice it is that I never throw a piece of computer equipment away. Worth the complaining from the wife
  5. Hehehehehe, so its not just me who gets that then for keeping seemingly useless crap :p
  6. definitely not just you, she complains about it, but who does she come running to when she or one of her friends needs a cable of some sort for an outdated piece of electronics...me of course