DiRT Rally DiRT Rally: Multiplayer released

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Staff
Premium
Dirt Rally.jpg

After much waiting and anticipation, Codemasters have released the new update for DiRT Rally which includes Hell Rallycross, three new cars and the sought after player versus player multiplayer events.

Update 0.7 of Codemasters DiRT Rally brings the multiplayer action to the hectic rallycross world. Finally you will be able to race with and against your friends and frenemies live, and not only through a timesheet!

The update also brings one new rallycross track, with two layouts. So just a few days after the world championship was there, you can also drive in Hell.

The game is also updated with three new rallycross cars, two cars, and four liveries from the 2015 season, and one car with one livery from the 2014 season.

You can now drive with the DS3 of Liam Doran and Petter Solberg, or the 1.6l JRM Mini of Dave Mirra and Danny Way, or maybe you would like to like to drive the Subaru of Sverre Isachsen!

Full Changelog
  • A new World RX track – Hell, Norway
  • New Rallycross drivers including, Liam Doran and Petter Solberg
  • Wet weather for all Rallycross tracks
  • Three new cars: DS3, MINI Countryman Rallycross and Subaru WRX STI
  • Brand new Wager Daily Event
  • Some new advanced gamepad options
  • Added a “Very Early” option for your Co-Driver calls
  • A frankly amazing set of Hints and Tips for you to read during loading screens
  • Removed the additional time penalty when the Off Track Reset Countdown expires and upped the limit on the timer
  • We’ll now show you your ‘Fastest lap’ onscreen for an entire Rallycross Event
  • Clutch Override which will give you the ability to use your clutch to override the automatic gearbox clutch
  • *bleep bloop* new achievements
  • Added a toggle for ‘Clutch Override’, which allows you to override the automatic clutch (allowing for clutch kicking)
  • ‘Advanced gamepad options’ are now available for joysticks… Yup somebody out there is playing DiRT Rally with a joystick
  • Message added indicating if you’ve missed the entrance or exit of the joker lap.
  • Optimised all routes for Lydden Hill so it chugs less
  • Graphical Improvements to all stages on the Holjes Circuit as well as the routes for Powys, Wales and Pikes Peak
  • Those excessive gravel surface sounds have been toned down – which should also help with stuttering audio
  • Fixed an issue where the Community delta time splits were being incorrectly shown in the Pant Mawr stage from Wales
  • Light pods no longer show on day routes when using the bonnet / interior cameras on certain vehicles
  • Direct Input slider axis enumeration has been fixed which is a fancy way of saying this should solve issues with pedal bindings, most frequently the clutch
  • Rallycross friend leaderboards now only show the players fastest lap time
  • Abandoning a Rallycross Daily Event now uploads the stage maximum, rather than the time the game was paused… oops
  • Jump starting certain Rallycross tracks no longer results in the players lap counter refusing to increment when passing the start/finish line
  • Fix for the Founder liveries disappearing after the player resets their profile
  • Community delta times are now displayed correctly in the standings before the event begins
  • The Community delta times that were invalid on some tracks have now been reset
  • Crossing a reset line will now always result in you receiving a penalty
  • The Rallycross AI will now find the correct gear at the start of the race and not comically reverse
  • Joker laps will now register even when exiting the joker sector backwards… Because sometimes it’s fun to show off
  • The AI will now take the Joker lap in a Rallycross event less than 4 laps
  • The AI should no longer accidently take a Joker lap when switching paths after losing control.
  • Did you ever see that bug where the Rallycross AI would drive into a barrier, reverse, then drive into again? It was pretty funny but we thought we better fix it
  • Used your data to improve our AI across all Rallycross routes. They’ll now put up much more of a challenge

This regional lockout stuff... Is that really true? If so thats abysmal! Region locks is for publishers of dudebro hollywood-style kiddie games on consoles to protect sales and licensing fees.

Should NOT be present in a simulation targeting PC hardcore users (which the sim crowd is)...

Few updates coming soon (copied from CM forum posted by Lee - http://forums.codemasters.com/discu...to-talk-and-other-multiplayer-settings#latest)

Hi all,

This week’s been pretty awesome, on Tuesday we dropped our second World RX pack and added the ability to race against your friends and the rest of the world online and we’re really pleased that you guys have been enjoying racing against each other so much.

That part where you race against the rest of the world is causing a few issues though. There is always that one guy blasting death metal down the mic, the kid screaming in the background or somebody’s noisy wheel clunking and wurring away, oh and that weird echo/feedback thing... And all of that is getting broadcast to the whole lobby!

It’s annoying as hell (but we don’t need to tell you that) and we’re going to do something about it, this is what we’re thinking of based off of your feedback so far and it can be broken down into three parts:

Part 1 - Push To Talk
By default your microphones will all be turned off, to talk to the lobby you’ll need to push a button or key on your keyboard.

Part 2 – Muting
A set of global options which will control what you hear from other players: “mute all” will mean you’ll never hear a thing, “Friends Only” will mean you can only hear your friends and “open” means you’ll be able to talk to everybody.

We’ll also be letting you turn voice chat off in the audio options, this will let you use your own VOIP solutions without the in game solutions getting in the way.

Part 3 - Private lobbies
This will allow you to set up a Private Online Custom Championship so that only players you invite to the session or players on your friends list can join the session.

Being totally honest, we dropped the ball on this update. As many of you know we’re traditionally Console developers, we didn’t think about how you guys use Team Speak and Skype because we’ve been so reliant on the party chat functionality of the consoles and that little switch on the headset wire to mute the mic when needed.

This is all part of Early Access though right? It is stuff like this which is specifically why we chose to put DiRT through Early Access. To those of you offering up useful and constructive feedback, thank you. To those of you flipping out and going nuts at us... Not so much.

This isn’t all we’re looking at either; we just felt that we should let you know where we’re at and the current plan is to roll these changes out as soon as possible (read – before the Finland pack).

We’ll have more news in tomorrow’s Road Book – See you then!

Still no luck with the stutter and frame rate drops. Still happening at the exact same spots on the track/rally stages, despite no particular change in hw usage.

And in collisions in RX i go from 120+ fps to 40...

Something is up in this update...

Worked fine before this update. Tried different drivers now, still no luck.

Very strange, I've never had any of those issues, not before or after the DiRT update, no problems when using the newest nVidia driver either.

It's unfotunately become really unplayable for me. Gotta fix it so i can enjoy that glorious DS3...

What settings do you run? Perhaps something changed there (like particle systems) causing issues...

Because it is clearly not dependant on the GPU load as such. It is happening at specific locations, and are rock solid 60fps mid pack other places of the same track. Drops at the same place on track every lap, same with AI around or just me. Exact same places...

And during collisions the drop is huge.

So it leads me to believe that maybe some setting is active that now causes something to be rendered at these locations that is not working smooth, like particles or physics...

The latter is a good guess as it seems to completely grind to a halt on collisions. Like if a car collides with a tyre stack that is än instant 25fps+ drop for me...

It's unfotunately become really unplayable for me. Gotta fix it so i can enjoy that glorious DS3...

What settings do you run? Perhaps something changed there (like particle systems) causing issues...

Advanced blending off - the rest of my setting is on the highest possible option. 1080p, one screen, however, with SLI enabled and the 355.60 driver from nVidia. vSync is on to keep it on steady 60fps.

The only changes since last update should be better optimization ,and dustclouds added. I would try to post the issues at the Codemaster forum and/or on steam, as sadly RD is not a place where Codies spend time.

Advanced blending off - the rest of my setting is on the highest possible option. 1080p, one screen, however, with SLI enabled and the 355.60 driver from nVidia. vSync is on to keep it on steady 60fps.

The only changes since last update should be better optimization ,and dustclouds added. I would try to post the issues at the Codemaster forum and/or on steam, as sadly RD is not a place where Codies spend time.

Damn. Was hoping for some quick fix :)

Issues like these is the backside of PC gaming, always some odd issue popping up. But hey, problem solving is part of the fun ;)

so the regional thing is true then? I live in South Korea and can never find anyone in the PvP lobbies. I'm not surprised because really the only two computer games that are played here are LoL and Starcraft (not even joking when I say that, unfortunately). I can't imagine there are many people here playing Dirt Rally. If the match-making is done based on region then I'm never gonna find any matches ....

might try playing with a VPN set to the US or something to see.

Yes Sir!, you might not see every session due to location

so the regional thing is true then? I live in South Korea and can never find anyone in the PvP lobbies. I'm not surprised because really the only two computer games that are played here are LoL and Starcraft (not even joking when I say that, unfortunately). I can't imagine there are many people here playing Dirt Rally. If the match-making is done based on region then I'm never gonna find any matches ....

might try playing with a VPN set to the US or something to see.

Doesn't help with VPN. DiRT Rally uses steam region locking. Open you Steam App, click on steam -> Settings -> Downloads, and change download region to one in Europe or N/A depending on what time it is.
DiRT Rally uses that location to determine the region-lock.

EDIT: I see I have been beaten to it.

Also just discovered that i have to unlock stuff in career to have the cars for PvP!? What kind of nonsense is that!? I am a non career user, i only run ciustom events. Because i do not give a crap about artificial progression ladders, i want to simulate what i want, when i want.

Not playing a simple game with some progression ladder stuff forced on me.

This annoys me a lot more than the matchmaking!

Also just discovered that i have to unlock stuff in career to have the cars for PvP!? What kind of nonsense is that!? I am a non career user, i only run ciustom events. Because i do not give a crap about artificial progression ladders, i want to simulate what i want, when i want.

Not playing a simple game with some progression ladder stuff forced on me.

This annoys me a lot more than the matchmaking!
Smells a bit like Grid 2, you could only run a custom event with the cars you've unlocked in Career ( even if you bought the online DLC...did not like that at all)....paid DLC for online racing coming? I don't like having to "rent" the cars, but will have to, because I will never grind enough to "earn" 350,000. (Unless I win another 100 PvP RX rental races......)

Also, if you are making a simulation you can include a carreer option of course, but what you should not do in that market segment is make it mandatory.

I have played the ARMA series since Op Flashpoint days, for instance. A total of more than 10 000 hours. About 5 of those in the campaigns :)

Simulation users are hardcore users. We want the choices and the options. We like skirmish modes, scenario play, dogfights and single races with mix n match contents (depending on genres)... The key of which is choice... The simulation is central, and we will find fun in setting our own parameters. We do not need the old game progression to feel rewarded.

It's a bad fit for simulation approaches.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 342 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 230 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 174 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.4%