DiRT Rally DiRT Rally: Multiplayer released

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Staff
Premium
Dirt Rally.jpg

After much waiting and anticipation, Codemasters have released the new update for DiRT Rally which includes Hell Rallycross, three new cars and the sought after player versus player multiplayer events.

Update 0.7 of Codemasters DiRT Rally brings the multiplayer action to the hectic rallycross world. Finally you will be able to race with and against your friends and frenemies live, and not only through a timesheet!

The update also brings one new rallycross track, with two layouts. So just a few days after the world championship was there, you can also drive in Hell.

The game is also updated with three new rallycross cars, two cars, and four liveries from the 2015 season, and one car with one livery from the 2014 season.

You can now drive with the DS3 of Liam Doran and Petter Solberg, or the 1.6l JRM Mini of Dave Mirra and Danny Way, or maybe you would like to like to drive the Subaru of Sverre Isachsen!

Full Changelog
  • A new World RX track – Hell, Norway
  • New Rallycross drivers including, Liam Doran and Petter Solberg
  • Wet weather for all Rallycross tracks
  • Three new cars: DS3, MINI Countryman Rallycross and Subaru WRX STI
  • Brand new Wager Daily Event
  • Some new advanced gamepad options
  • Added a “Very Early” option for your Co-Driver calls
  • A frankly amazing set of Hints and Tips for you to read during loading screens
  • Removed the additional time penalty when the Off Track Reset Countdown expires and upped the limit on the timer
  • We’ll now show you your ‘Fastest lap’ onscreen for an entire Rallycross Event
  • Clutch Override which will give you the ability to use your clutch to override the automatic gearbox clutch
  • *bleep bloop* new achievements
  • Added a toggle for ‘Clutch Override’, which allows you to override the automatic clutch (allowing for clutch kicking)
  • ‘Advanced gamepad options’ are now available for joysticks… Yup somebody out there is playing DiRT Rally with a joystick
  • Message added indicating if you’ve missed the entrance or exit of the joker lap.
  • Optimised all routes for Lydden Hill so it chugs less
  • Graphical Improvements to all stages on the Holjes Circuit as well as the routes for Powys, Wales and Pikes Peak
  • Those excessive gravel surface sounds have been toned down – which should also help with stuttering audio
  • Fixed an issue where the Community delta time splits were being incorrectly shown in the Pant Mawr stage from Wales
  • Light pods no longer show on day routes when using the bonnet / interior cameras on certain vehicles
  • Direct Input slider axis enumeration has been fixed which is a fancy way of saying this should solve issues with pedal bindings, most frequently the clutch
  • Rallycross friend leaderboards now only show the players fastest lap time
  • Abandoning a Rallycross Daily Event now uploads the stage maximum, rather than the time the game was paused… oops
  • Jump starting certain Rallycross tracks no longer results in the players lap counter refusing to increment when passing the start/finish line
  • Fix for the Founder liveries disappearing after the player resets their profile
  • Community delta times are now displayed correctly in the standings before the event begins
  • The Community delta times that were invalid on some tracks have now been reset
  • Crossing a reset line will now always result in you receiving a penalty
  • The Rallycross AI will now find the correct gear at the start of the race and not comically reverse
  • Joker laps will now register even when exiting the joker sector backwards… Because sometimes it’s fun to show off
  • The AI will now take the Joker lap in a Rallycross event less than 4 laps
  • The AI should no longer accidently take a Joker lap when switching paths after losing control.
  • Did you ever see that bug where the Rallycross AI would drive into a barrier, reverse, then drive into again? It was pretty funny but we thought we better fix it
  • Used your data to improve our AI across all Rallycross routes. They’ll now put up much more of a challenge

@Mikaela Andersson The RX cars are indeed incredibly powerful and incredibly light, I mean those things can accelerate on gravel as hard as F1 cars on tarmac. And they are by default set a tad on the stiff side so yeah, couple that to all wheel drive and you get monster understeer if you are following the usual road-racing-esque lines. Just turn in earlier and mash the gas pedal and you just glide gracefully through the corners sideways with ease, you barely even have to counter steer during the slides because the awd just claws itself back in a completely unsubtle way. To me personally they are incredibly easy to drive so I stay as far away from them as possible. I still have to find a reason to drive anything other than the Stratos and the 037. xD

Last edited:
No way to disable ingame voice comm (have to mute each person individually)
No private/invite/friend only races
No collision abuse detection
They certainly knocked it out of the park. :O_o:

When in the lobby (not in any of the races), go to the players name, and click on them, there you can mute or see their steam-profile. Though, no way of muting if anyone joins after the lobby-period.
No private/invite/friend/password indeed
Not sure how that should be implented in RX to be fair

But in general terms, if you find a great bunch to drive with (we were 4 friends, that managed to get together with two other Norwegians and a Swede), then it can be amazing. You can also kick out people you don't like etc.

However, I do find the PvP sub-par and disappointing

Is it just me that feel the RX cars are paperlight and very hard to control and like they almost have a ( arcade ) life of their own ?

They understeer like crazy !

The tracks looks amazing though !

Check the diff for the understeer-bit it also depends on what car you are driving, the Polo is more oversteery than the others.
However, with my RX experience, and what I can see from TV, and then apply that in the game, it feels very good, it looks very good. The RX is very good in the game.

I must say I found it a bit funny that the RX cars are too hard and light, and thus arcade, while the rally cars are to heavy and easy, and thus arcade ;)

@Mikaela Andersson The RX cars are indeed incredibly powerful and incredibly light, I mean those things can accelerate on gravel as hard as F1 cars on tarmac. And they are by default set a tad on the stiff side so yeah, couple that to all wheel drive and you get monster understeer if you are following the usual road-racing-esque lines. Just turn in earlier and mash the gas pedal and you just glide gracefully through the corners sideways with ease, you barely even have to counter steer during the slides because the awd just claws itself back in a completely unsubtle way. To me personally they are incredibly easy to drive so I stay as far away from them as possible. I still have to find a reason to drive anything other than the Stratos and the 037. xD

The RX cars might be incredibly powerful and incredibly light but the problem IMO is that I feel it's very hard to feel what's happening with the cars as I drive them.

The Hillclimb cars also feels really weird IMHO and it's like RX and Hillclimb cars were made by a complete other department at Codies.

I do prefer the feel of the Rally cars but the RX tracks looks soo nice.

IMO Kunos Stefano Casillo's quote is still valid :

"The FFB and Physics aren't as awesome as the rest of the game"

Last edited by a moderator:
Well we all know that Codies have been an Arcade developer for nearly 30 years and moving up to the real deal which is Sim isn't done overnight ;)

Well, their early TOCA-games and first two CMR games points to a different idea.

The RX cars might be incredibly powerful and incredibly light but the problem IMO is that I feel it's very hard to feel what's happening with the cars as I drive them.

Then I guess it's time to fiddle with settings. I have no problems with feeling oversteer, understeer, jumps or anything with the RX cars.

The Hillclimb cars also feels really weird IMHO and it's like RX and Hillclimb cars were made by a complete other department at Codies.

I get the same thing, but I'm finding it's related to torque steer. Nearly all Hillclimb and RX cars have something in the area of 600hp. 50% of that going to the fronts is 300hp, which is way too much IMO.

If possible, it helps to pull the torque distribution towards the rear, but not all cars let you do that. The VW Polo lets you go to 65% rear, which improves it for me. And most other AWD cars in Dirt Rally have a lot less power than these, so it's not really a problem.

I get the same thing, but I'm finding it's related to torque steer. Nearly all Hillclimb and RX cars have something in the area of 600hp. 50% of that going to the fronts is 300hp, which is way too much IMO.

If possible, it helps to pull the torque distribution towards the rear, but not all cars let you do that. The VW Polo lets you go to 65% rear, which improves it for me. And most other AWD cars in Dirt Rally have a lot less power than these, so it's not really a problem.

The 4WD isn't helping it sure, but some easy things help a lot....brake bias much more to the rear or use the handbrake to get the turn it better. It may be harder to control but well that needs to be done if you wanna go fast :)

But overall the FFB could be improved a bit, i don't feel 100% connected to the Track as i do it on the normal Rallys with for example the Group B Cars (imo best physics in the game).

It's fun anyway with good and fair Drivers :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back