DiRT Rally DiRT Rally Flying Finland Update Released

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Staff
Premium
Ford_Finland_Jump_1_A.jpg

After a long wait, Codemasters have released the new update for DiRT Rally today, containing two new cars, 12 stages in Finland and lots of new and enhanced features.

Not too far off a full release, DiRT Rally has been updated to v0.8, with the 2001 Subaru Impreza WRC, and 2001 Ford Focus WRC included, the cars represents the two most recent British world champions, from a year they both fought hard for the world title.

The new stuff includes
  • A new, reworked handling model is also included for the 60's, 70's, 80's RWD and 2010-classes, with a major engine and downforce re-work, to make the cars more dynamic.
  • Custom Championships, to tweak the number of stages, AI difficulty and number of events, to set up a championship that suits you and the time you have to play
  • New engine sound for the 1995 Subaru Impreza
  • Mouse Support!
  • Invite Friend option for PvP events.
And here is the changelog!
  • The audio FX levels for the surfaces and kick up have been brought back so that you can hear all that gravely goodness.
  • We sent our Rallycross AI drivers to the opticians so that they can now see when they need to avoid other cars when they are approaching the joker entrance.
  • Now that they can see better they are also setting faster laps.
  • We’ve fixed the camera clipping in certain camera angles when you changed the Field of View.
  • We’ve made some Hyper threading fixes that should now prevent those annoying stuttering issues that some of you were having.
  • We’ve stopped the Engineer contract lengths and costs from being affected when competing in league events.
  • Toggling Push to Talk or enabling/disabling voice communications through the pause menu is now actually working.
  • The Reset Timer has now been increased to 15 seconds when attempting to get back on track. I know we said that before but this time it is actually in.
  • Cars will no longer roll over on the start in PVP races, ROFL.
  • We’ve made sure that the cars are visible on the start line even when collisions are turned off in PVP – they will still ghost during the race though.
  • Your PVP opponents won’t be showboating and driving around with the handbrake on anymore.
  • The gear setup will no longer be changing between stages without a service area.
  • We’ve fixed those odd camera angles that were being used in spectate mode.
  • The miles driven using owned vehicles in PVP now accrue towards unlocking upgrades for that vehicle.
  • When viewing a replay using an interior camera, the speedometers now show the correct speed for all vehicles.
  • We’ve fixed a whole host of other stuff too but they were too boring to call out in this list.

I think I've been on AC for about an hour since Dirt Rally was released. I'm a rally nut though so that might be it.

I really can't stand AC sound wise any more. It's so flat, generic and digital compared to DR. It's the Gran Turismo of PC sims.

I wouldn't call AC the Gran Turismo of PC sims but to me it is the greatest tarmac hotlap sim ever !
To bad that the AI and MP suck.

DR, -Same here 7 days a week :D - I admit that I am addicted :p

IMO rally has everything I need to get my daily race fix.

Tarmac, Gravel, Rain, Mud, Night, Day, Jumps. etc etc

How many times will you repeat the same thing. I'm getting really tired of it. If I was a dev and saw this constant whining, I'd go out of my way to deliberately not include better cameras.

mod-edit: removed the swearing

Grow up. No need for abusive language. Very childish and immature behaviour Arne. How old are you?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

ps, Dirt Rally will be great if the devs put in proper track side replay cams. Don't you agree Arne?:thumbsup:;)

Good replay cameras is also a definite plus feature for the modern console racer (assuming DiRT Rally is going there): there are whole groups of people who spend their time in photo mode making awesome shots showing of game graphics.

Driveclub, for instance, was launched without replays or photo mode and was blasted for that. They added these things in via updates and did a great job with the quality of the solution, and it earned much community praise. Saveable replays with properly adjustable cameras plus photo mode would be wise for DR. And yet all we are talking about is simply the ability to force DR to stick to outside replay cameras rather than the "exciting" replay mode which is in game now, inherited from earlier Codemasters stuff.

Replay system, steering animation, all these things we feel missing we can probably blame the old EGO engine they use. According to the devs, getting under the hood to rewrite the steering animation is some serious work. Work that is just not worth it at this stage.

Hopefully they can use/build a more modern engine if they keep evolving Dirt Rally for the future. I really hope so.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 132 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 95 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 70 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 140 13.9%