DiRT 4 DiRT 4 Released!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 4 Release.jpg

Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC players can now finally get their hands on the new Codemasters release, as DiRT 4 officially hits the game store shelves today.

Although some parts of the world have been able to pick up a physical copy of the game for console over the past couple of days, today marks the official worldwide release of the game across all platforms, bringing the fourth iteration of the popular DiRT franchise back to the forefront of off road racing on PC and current generation console machines.

Featuring over 50 cars the likes of the Ford Fiesta R5, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI, Subaru WRX STI NR4, Audi Sport quattro S1 E2 plus many different machines from different classes of World Rallycross, Landrush and Crosskarts, run over five unique rally locations and a five Rallycross venues, the new game looks to firmly establish itself as the biggest and best inclusion to the DiRT franchise of games to date.

DiRT 4 is available for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC today.

DiRT 4 Release 2.jpg
DiRT 4 Release 3.jpg

If getting down and DiRTy is your thing then we know the place to go... check out the DiRT 4 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to get your fix of news, events, mods and discussions around the new Codemasters rally game. Go on, it'll be fun I promise !

Have you tried DiRT 4 yet? What are your impressions of the game? Do you think the title is comparable to DiRT Rally in terms of driving experience? Where does it rank against other DiRT franchise games? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Someone said well, that this is DiRT 4, not DiRT Rally 2. And judging by the negative feedback on Steam, I will be skipping this one. No need to spend money on another DiRT 3. At least I still got DiRT Rally.

It's certainly not a DiRT 3 clone. It's closer to DiRT Rally, just with a few problems which make driving frustrating. I think it's fixable - it's whether or not Codemasters will fix it. But simulation mode it's harder than DiRT 3 ever was.

Someone said well, that this is DiRT 4, not DiRT Rally 2. And judging by the negative feedback on Steam, I will be skipping this one. No need to spend money on another DiRT 3. At least I still got DiRT Rally.
For me personally this was the most disappointing game ever. I wanted to see Dirt Rally with all it's faults fixed. Instead Codies went this way. After 1.7 hours I asked fo a refund. All in all it looked and felt horrible.

The one thing i didnt like with Dirt Rally (driving wise) was that tarmac had too much grip (or the car had too little weight - maybe a combo of both), and now when i read reviews it seems what was bad on tarmac in DR is also the same bad on gravel in Dirt4. Like RWD cars on gravel you have to use hard control inputs to make it break traction. Too much grip/too light cars. Dirt Rally RWD cars surely didnt have any issues breaking traction on gravel so its a bit sad to hear Dirt4 has translated this issue to gravel as well even if im not that surprised with regards to the title. However "simulation mode" option kinda hinted at DR level driving. Maybe done on purpose for the causal racing player or maybe a fixable mistake. We will have to wait and see.

The feedback on Steam is really polarized. Last night I watched the ISR Billy Strange first view and he really tried not rip it to pieces but he kind of did by highlighting a number of shortcomings. Along with the Steam reviews I'd say it's not exactly what Codemasters promised and it left a lot people let down, but has some good qualities all the same. I had preordered on Amazon and rapidly cancelled after watching the video. Now I'd rather wait to see if the game is patched to make it the game it's meant to be.

Landrush looks like a lot of fun, that's what I was mainly looking forward too. Of course more rally too, but the consensus is it's a poor cousin to Dirt Rally, so I'll just stick with Dirty Rally. No point buying and hoping all will be well, Codemasters come across to me as beans counters, they talk about budget limitations constantly in interviews. So bug fixes aside I'm wouldn't necessarily expect major physics improvements, VR, proper triple screen support or whatever else is lacking.

I hear claim the tarmac physic is better on DiRT 4, but all I see on video is the car yaw like crazy(grip sideway) where it doesn't in DiRT Rally.

I didn't even bother to even try the game. I refunded my pre order.

No manual transmission (H-shift) option for the classic beasts?

It is, you need to choose it in the preferences (or is it controller, I always get them mixed up).
However, there are no option to change automagically according to the correct system for the car you choose. So if you want max realism, you need to change it manually when to swap between H-shift and paddle/seq cars.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 333 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 225 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 169 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 289 13.4%