DiRT 4 DiRT 4 Release Day Details and 'Your Stage' Video Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
DiRT 4.jpg

Codemasters have released their first DiRT 4 Dev Diary blog post, revealing details of the different kinds of packages available on launch day and a very interesting 'Your Stage' introduction video.

With release day looming large through the windscreen Codemasters have revealed a few more details about what players will have to looking forward to in June. The game will launch in a number of formats depending on platform and package choice, as can be read below:

"First up, we’re so happy to tell you there will be a Day One Edition of DiRT® 4™ which will feature an exclusive Hyundai R5 rally car as well as a unique event*, livery, and Founder Icon. There will also be a Special Edition for retail that will feature the Day One content – PLUS a Team Booster Pack that give you a unique team offer, staff and facilities bonuses. There will also be an additional Steelbook option (retailers TBC), which will include the Special Edition content with a limited edition steel box" said Codemasters in the latest roadbook post.​

DiRT 4 Day One Details.jpg

Now this Hyundai R5 rally car mentioned above interests me a great deal indeed. We know due to licencing restrictions Codemasters are unable to produce modern specification WRC cars, and the R5 series is expected to be the top level rally class in game. So which Hyundai are they proposing to add to DiRT 4? From 2000 to 2003 we had different versions of the Accent and later the i20 during 2014 - 2016, replaced this year under the new regulations with the i20 Coupe, complete with new for 2017 aggressive styling as has become the norm in the World Rally Championship of late.

So does this mean we might get a nice 2016 spec WRC car, or are we going to get either a fantasy entry or the older, and in my mind still rather attractive, Accent from the early 00's? That will be an interesting one to see play out in the coming months.

In other related news the British developers have released an interesting four minute video featuring Double FIA World Rallycross Champion Petter Solberg and WRC driver Kris Meeke explaining the new for DiRT 4 feature 'Your Stage'. Allowing players to generate near endless custom stage designs, Your Stage is a revolutionary step for modern rally games and if implemented as well as is hoped it should provide a very welcome addition to the new title.

Paul Coleman, DiRT 4’s Chief Game Designer, commented: “Your Stage is something that we have been working on since the launch of DiRT 3 in 2011. It allows players to generate an almost infinite variety of stages at all of the rally locations in DiRT 4. It’s a revelation as now our players will get the thrill of driving a new stage whenever they want.”

“It is extremely simple for you to create a stage but, behind the scenes, we have an extraordinarily complex series of rules and algorithms that put these routes together. Your Stage creates such a huge variety of routes, some that we would never have thought of crafting before, and they’re amazing to drive.”

As a big fan of the last DiRT Rally game I must admit I was rather sceptical of what DiRT 4 would turn out to be. With all the information released so far, promises of even more realism that DR and the new Your Stage to name but a few, it actually looks like DiRT 4 could well be a very solid entry into the rally sim racing marketplace when it launches this summer.

Paul Coleman recently ran a substantial Q&A session with fans of the game. You can catch up on our summary article HERE.

DiRT 4 will be available to purchase for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Windows PC in June 2017.

Check out the DiRT 4 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to keep abreast of all the latest news and discussions around the newest rally game to be produced by Codemasters. We will have all the latest news when it becomes available and of course offer up a place for fans to discuss the game and share in our combined excitement for this new Codemasters title.

Do you like the sound of the new features for DiRT 4? Are you looking forward to the game? Do you think DiRT 4 will be a suitable improvement over the popular DiRT Rally? Let us know in the comments section below!

• Deleted member 130869

Different pre-order packs already ... let's see if 4 is an improvement over DiRT Rally.

• tunaphis

Seems strange "my stage " was left out of Dirt Rally which would of added what most players wanted,More Content.My guess is they kept it to bolster D4 seeing that it has little licensed content.This already looks like a cash cow.

Now this Hyundai R5 rally car mentioned above interests me a great deal indeed. We know due to licencing restrictions Codemasters are unable to produce modern specification WRC cars, and the R5 series is expected to be the top level rally class in game. So which Hyundai are they proposing to add to DiRT 4? From 2000 to 2003 we had different versions of the Accent and later the i20 during 2014 - 2016, replaced this year under the new regulations with the i20 Coupe, complete with new for 2017 aggressive styling as has become the norm in the World Rally Championship of late.

So does this mean we might get a nice 2016 spec WRC car, or are we going to get either a fantasy entry or the older, and in my mind still rather attractive, Accent from the early 00's? That will be an interesting one to see play out in the coming months.
I don't think there's anything exciting here as the R5-spec Hyundai i20 already exists...
Hyundai-i20-r5-proto.jpg

Seems strange "my stage " was left out of Dirt Rally which would of added what most players wanted,More Content.My guess is they kept it to bolster D4 seeing that it has little licensed content.This already looks like a cash cow.

It probably wasn't finished in time for the DR release. You don't postpone a project for 2 years just like that.

I think it looks absolutely awesome. Graphically it's a step up from DR. The lightning in Michigan looks really good.

That said, I'm not a fan of pre order exclusive content.

It probably wasn't finished in time for the DR release. You don't postpone a project for 2 years just like that.

I think it looks absolutely awesome. Graphically it's a step up from DR. The lightning in Michigan looks really good.

That said, I'm not a fan of pre order exclusive content.

I too have been bitten by the pre order bug and regretted it. I won't buy this until it's been released, but it does look pretty sweet.

My main worry is that the "Your Stage" stages don't seem to be so evil as in DR. Plenty of space besides the road (going by the videos) whereas in DR you'd have drainage ditches, rocks or trees easily ending your run. And of course DR also had some really interesting "split" cambers and potholes on the actual road.

I'm not sure if a generator can do that properly, or if the even want to go there (because it would overwhelm the more arcady crowd). But for sure a true rally experience needs this kind of non-repeating, not-memorized stages, so this could be a new page in the history of rally sims if they get it right.

Another promotional video with no new information. I thought this time around they'd actually show more of the Your Stage generated mileage.

I for one am happy with the preorder details (worth it for me, since I'd buy it anyway) and the first screenshot of what the YourStage screen actually looks like: sliders and the parameters are difficulty, length and elevation. Looks like it should work fine. Really looking forward to running rallys that you had no chance of memorizing the stages before, personally have little time for the hobby and this certainly evens the playing field a wee bit. (i'll still be last, but i will at least see the other chaps' taillights, so to speak :)

Well, everything you see is Your Stage generated mileage. Except Buggies and RX, obviously.
The problem is, I don't see much in that video. More importantly, nothing new.

I for one am happy with the preorder details (worth it for me, since I'd buy it anyway) and the first screenshot of what the YourStage screen actually looks like: sliders and the parameters are difficulty, length and elevation. Looks like it should work fine. Really looking forward to running rallys that you had no chance of memorizing the stages before, personally have little time for the hobby and this certainly evens the playing field a wee bit. (i'll still be last, but i will at least see the other chaps' taillights, so to speak :)
The Your Stage generation screen was already shown a while ago. This video is just an ad, comprised of the same canned phrases. I really don't like that approach. Makes me starting to suspect the devs are being dishonest about something.

Procedural generation might indeed become the Holy Grail of rally sims. How much this one is a sim, however, that's the question...

The problem is, I don't see much in that video. More importantly, nothing new.

The Your Stage generation screen was already shown a while ago. This video is just an ad, comprised of the same canned phrases. I really don't like that approach. Makes me starting to suspect the devs are being dishonest about something.

Procedural generation might indeed become the Holy Grail of rally sims. How much this one is a sim, however, that's the question...

I really hope you don't come off as such a negative buzzkill in real life as you do here. If so I feel sorry for you and the people around you.

Is there anything at all you are actually positive about in life? Any game that ever met your expectations? I'm seriously curious.

I really hope you don't come off as such a negative buzzkill in real life as you do here. If so I feel sorry for you and the people around you.

Is there anything at all you are actually positive about in life? Any game that ever met your expectations? I'm seriously curious.
Should be nice to be you then, getting all excited over repetitive, obscure ads.

And if you really need to know, there are software pieces I'm pretty much happy with: some of the DCS modules and rFactor 2. And no, neither DCS, nor rF2 is perfect in my opinion, but at least they managed to do right what's really important.

Should be nice to be you then, getting all excited over repetitive, obscure ads.

And if you really need to know, there are software pieces I'm pretty much happy with: some of the DCS modules and rFactor 2. And no, neither DCS, nor rF2 is perfect in my opinion, but at least they managed to do right what's really important.

Yes it indeed is marketing but there is new footage of something that I'm looking forward to. Screw me for that I guess.

Your mindset is obviously "if it's not exactly what I want it's ****" so you can basically drop this game of your radar. It's Dirt Rally with some tweaks to the physics, fleshed out career, new content and a stage generator.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 194 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 251 13.4%