Direct drive/servo wheels

I'm thinking of upgrading my wheel again. At the moment I have a fanatec CSR but I'm beginning to find its limits.

I was looking at the fanatec wheel base, I've seen in places that it's basically a servo wheel?? It's probably the next step up for me and to get a working wheel it looks like it's going to cost me around €1000.

I have a fanatec wheel, pedals (CSR elite) and CSR H-shifter. I've had varying problems with all of them, the wheel has become loose and I can see that it's the way the wheel is connected to the base, essentially one screw stopping it from moving in place. I've had a load cell fail on the brakes and the replacement didn't entirely fix the problem. The gear stick has an intermittent clicking noise that sounds like somethings loose, but doesn't affect the operation of the gears. All these things make me a bit apprehensive about buying a more expensive fanatec product, but the fanatec wheel base seems like it's in another level of build quality and fanatecs support was pretty good when I contacted them.

The other wheel I'm looking at is the accuforce wheel from simexperience. This seems to be coming in around €1800 but the package looks very good, as far as I can see you essentially get the base, two wheels and software. But it's a big step up in price and I don't know that it's worth the extra money for someone who doesn't get to play as much as they like. I'm wondering is the Fanatec wheel more than enough for me? Would I appreciate the difference? Would the accuforce be overkill for my needs.

I know there's an open servo wheel project as well but the only one I could find was horribly expensive at almost twice the price of the accuforce and still requiring assembly.

Is there any chance racedepartment could do some sort of roundup of wheels? To give some idea of what the difference is, what gains there are in spending more money and what wheel is enough for different types of player.

I am pretty sure all original participants of this thread went their ways already.
In the end I opted for OSW (Argon, Small Mige) from Joe Sullivan and can't be happier.
Top notch build, great support (not like I needed any but bugged Joe with questions a lot :)). Highly recommend him as a builder for US folks.

Yeah no worries Andrew, glad to hear you enjoy it :thumbsup: Probably still a few people that read this thread from time to time and there seemed few comments that did not sound too true to me so just wanted to add my experience.

Thrustmaster and Fanatec are supposedly also working on DD wheels so be interesting to see what they bring to the mix and in the long run everyone should be able to enjoy the higher fidelity and strength of DD wheels. :)

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

If TM releases anything it will be plastic, super weak, low consumer grade even comparing to AF base.
Fanatec price will be stratospherically high with quality and reliability directly opposite.

Upvote 0
Fanatec DD1 this is my first servo and I do not like the feeling of "catching magnets" because the steering wheel is not super smooth as everyone praised. Is Simucube 2 also like that?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

Fanatec DD1 this is my first servo and I do not like the feeling of "catching magnets" because the steering wheel is not super smooth as everyone praised. Is Simucube 2 also like that?
Even original OSW with Mige wasn't like that. SC2 with new motor and electronics only improves on old formula.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

SC2 motors (Sport, Pro, Ultimate) as well as Mige, Lenze, AKM used in SC1 and OSW are definitely not stepper motors.
AccuForce is the only DD using one to my knowledge.

There is a difference between outrunner design used by Fanatec and others relying on inrunners.
Either one can work with some pros and cons.
SC2 is using inrunners as older OSW-SC1.
And here Tommi is trying to explain main differences between two for chosen application.
They all use magnets though, you can't build electric motor without ones AFAIK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back