Direct Drive on a Budget? Feel VR Kickstarter is Here, But Act Fast!

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Feel VR Kickstarter Campaign.jpg

We heard about the FeelVR Direct Drive wheel project back at the 2017 Sim Racing Expo, and now the plans are a reality with a new Kickstarter campaign launched today.

The team behind Feel VR had an ambitious target to develop and ship a Direct Drive wheel and pedal set for considerably less than any other DD product on the market, and it looks like they are now finally in a position to open up the long awaited Kickstarter campaign, having already surpassed their funding target in just 75 minutes!

At the time of writing the campaign has received over $200,000 in the first day, and if you want to take home an early bird discount you only have the rest of today to act!

I spent a considerable amount of time on a Skype video call with the team at the back end of last year, and it looks like the plans they have in place are very solid and well thought out, with several demonstration models already in action even back in 2017. In fact, the team would be at the Sim Racing Expo in September of last year, although unfortunately we didn't get an opportunity to pop over and say hi whilst we were on site ourselves.

So what is it the team are offering exactly? Well if done correctly, this could be something of a game changer for sim racers looking to invest in direct drive wheel technology - the team are offering a full Direct Drive wheel, and pedals, for the same price as a traditional mid range standard wheel setup.

At present "early bird" investors on Kickstarter can order a DD wheel, two rims (GT and Formula), all the cables and a set of load cell brakes for.... $549! That's cheap.. very cheap indeed..

So what does it look like, and what are the specs? Read on to find out..

The Wheel
Feel VR Features Wheel.jpg
Feel VR Features.png
Feel VR Specs.png

As for the pedals, the team at Feel VR have developed an affordable load cell unit that promises to offer a more detailed and consistent performance that traditional spring loaded versions, as anyone who has tried loadcell can testify I'm sure, and if you wanted to pick them up as a standalone item, early bird prices are $149!

The Pedals
Feel VR Features Pedals.jpg
Feel VR Pedals Specs.png

All sounds pretty good on paper, let's see what happens once the units begin to ship towards the end of the year...

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Like the look of these offerings from FeelVR? Will you be investing? Can a budget DD set such as this compete in a competitive marketplace, in your opinion? Let us know in the comments section below!

I'm tempted to buy the bundle. The price is nice also with shipping to Italy.
I need a good wheel and pedals, so this once would be perfect.

Also the reviews of the prototype by Shaun Cole and SimRacing Paddock are positive and the flows this wheel has, are mostly software, since it's beta, and cosmetic, because it's a pre-production model, so it needs to be polished.

Upvote 0
  • ronniej

Welcome to my world, i'm argentinean, 80% of the world don't ship to my country.
Oh wow....I couldn't imagine that. At least I can cross the border to the US and physically bring most goods across into my country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
  • ronniej

I heard that Brazil was brutal regarding this...Some don't even receive their items. Corrupt.

Upvote 0
Oh wow....I couldn't imagine that. At least I can cross the border to the US and physically bring most goods across into my country.
Yeah is hard to be honest, i saw that the other guy say Brazil 60% taxes, and i need to say in my country is 75%+ what a seller up the price, sometimes... well most of the time, if you want to buy something that come from outside of the country you pay +100% or +140% the original price. For example Iphone X original price lets say 400 U$S -> In my country 800-900 u$s.

Upvote 0
Yeah is hard to be honest, i saw that the other guy say Brazil 60% taxes, and i need to say in my country is 75%+ what a seller up the price, sometimes... well most of the time, if you want to buy something that come from outside of the country you pay +100% or +140% the original price. For example Iphone X original price lets say 400 U$S -> In my country 800-900 u$s.

Uruguayo here, glad to know we're not alone. Fanatec isn't even retailed here. Best wheel on the market is the G29 at USD 500. Want VR? Only USD 1500. Need a GPU for the VR? Have a 1080, just USD 1300. Oh, want to get that one from Amazon? We'll apply 60% tax and you need to hire a person to do the paperwork, for reasons. Also you gotta pay administrative fees because you're not a company. Yay! :thumbsup: /s

Upvote 0
I'm surprised by the amount of Latin American people here, feels good to not be alone :) but is the same story as ever, we don't count as potential customers because we live in countries nobody in the "developed world" cares about. :(

I like the idea, that set looks like something I could easily store when not in use. Doesn't take too much space and you can use any chair you want. I would still need to modify my "desktop" a bit to fit the pedals.

However, if I could purchase this I would skip the headset. Fill me with disagrees if you want but I don't care about VR. Would rather spend that money on better PC parts. My PC is relatively new and powerful (built in 2015) but I have trouble with AC at times, reaching 99% of memory usage and it's really annoying when it does happen.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 401 16.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 271 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 259 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 188 7.7%
  • < 5 years