• "Mwoah" - Kimi Räikkönen
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest. Follow RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and YouTube.

Did anyone try this 2 and 3 DOF DOFReality The first and only affordable Motion Simulator Platform?

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Chouck, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Kbman59

Kbman59

Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought one of these kits and have had the chance to try it with a number of different games.

Assembly went well and only took a few hours. I found the included instructions to be very simple and straightforward, this made the assembly process very simple and easy.

I had the chance to test out the kit with Dirt 3, Dirt rally, iRacing, some of the Need For Speed games, and a few different flight Sims. I was actually very impressed with how strong the platform is and the strenght of the two motors it uses. I weigh about 230lbs and the sim had no problem throwing me around as I drove around within the various games. I'm currently using a Logitech G27 as my steering wheel, and the included wheel stand is very sturdy and has very little flex, even with a monitor attached to it.

Overall I was impressed with the kit, and would recommend it for anyone thinking of buying it.

2. Andrew Scott

Andrew Scott
    "Ye Old Convict" Premium

Ratings:
    +636
    Hmmmm, Aud $2700.00 shipping to my door included, it does look a solid piece of kit, and fairly well priced, shame my wallet is bare :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Chouck

Chouck

Ratings:
    +5
    I think there is always a compromise and motion platform have to be as light as possible and balanced. At the price they ask and flexibility you get I think it is a killer.
    Some people put different shakers to it without issues:
    [​IMG]

4. Chouck

Chouck

Ratings:
    +5
    tried platform yesterday.
    It is very strong and fast and sharp. In Dirt Rally you have limit it to not more than 30% of travel distance(bank angles) in order not to feel dizzy.

5. Moxley6969

Moxley6969

Ratings:
    +208
    Bank angles ? you mean Roll ?

[​IMG]

6. Mr Latte

Mr Latte
    Premium

Ratings:
    +250
    Yes 4 big LFE would not be light but no other unit is as good with sub 10Hz frequencies.

Nice installation, TST239 or TST429?
    You should try those and your motion rig with this below. Ive just recently got into it myself but finding it very immersive for tactile, doing some things not possible with Simvibe.

It produces some excellent effects, my favourites though would be it's great usage of lateral acceleration, wheel slip and front/back acceleration/deceleration. Therefore meaning it should tie in with what your motion is doing. All that combined with VR could be rather sweet immersion.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  7. David Lane

David Lane

Ratings:
    +0
    the Author of most of those comments is noorbeast.
    Hes made himself king on xsimulator forum, his sim is based off a design from someone else whom he had booted because of discussions between them. Noorbeast can do no wrong. Hes FAQ linked everything, made a mess of a lot of stuff, claims to know it all, but really is an idiot, a very well spoken worded idiot. The right people that use to be on the xsimulator have been booted or left because of him.
    Good luck with your planned research.

8. David Lane

David Lane

Ratings:
    +0
    Nick is right, but yes its a good platform for a start. Us DIY guys build for a bit cheaper but with much better control boards, not to mention what abuse we have put those control boards through, but they are not commercially sellable with a simulator. So arduino and MM it is, just find out the waranty if they go BOOM

9. born2bslow

born2bslow

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just started looking into motion sims and recently signed up there, that's interesting background info thanks David. There do seems to be a lot of interesting threads that just stopped.

I started looking at ProSimu T1000 with traction loss but I'm getting lost looking at all the options, I read that the actuators aren't really up to the level of punishment and don't last and the same issue on misuse of simtools licensing seems to have occurred. I don't have anywhere near the skills required to build a motion rig, let alone the time to learn said skills or actually build it, is there anywhere else you would recommend to read up on this stuff?

10. Beef36

Beef36

Ratings:
    +9
    If durability is important then look for commercial grade motion. Some of the D-Box Motion Platforms are commercial grade (eg 2250i / 3250i / 4250i / 4400i & HD) and sim racers with this setup seem happy. That is the same type of kit D-Box install in Cinemas.

Make sure you do your research before considering D-Box's lower spec consumer grade kit as Sim Racing motion is very intense on the actuators.

If you're interested in this route and budget is a factor, there are forums that have small snippets of information on adding D-Box actuators (e.g. start with 2 actuators and add more later).

Also look at Audio Visual forums too as there are lots of motion home cinema setups out there.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1