DFGT Users. Your Opinion.

Keep in mind that getting used to the setup you are using is going to be what will keep you from getting down to that time quickly. You have to get the feel for what the pedals give you and get used to the exact place where the wheels lock up. This for most people doesn't happen over night and may require as much as a month or two depending on how much time you devote to practicing.

Upvote 0
Ok, what time can you do in a WTCC car at Monza 07?
My best was 2m01.3, but very hard to repeat, my average best time would be more like 2m02.
I saw someone do a 159xx, and I lock the brakes all over the place, so I think a G27 should get me close to 159xx.

I can't serve with that one, cause I avoid Monza as much as I can, I don't like the track.
+ I don't drive touring cars very often ;)

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that getting used to the setup you are using is going to be what will keep you from getting down to that time quickly. You have to get the feel for what the pedals give you and get used to the exact place where the wheels lock up. This for most people doesn't happen over night and may require as much as a month or two depending on how much time you devote to practicing.

If it takes me more than a few days, I'll give sim racing away....that said, my brakes really suck, so I suspect a G27 brake pedal will allow me to bridge the gap to some degree.

Upvote 0
Dude don't give it up! It's been NINE MONTHS for me and still have not perfected my braking nor car setups. It's all about trail and error my friend, you'll eventually get it. I set up a time trial thread on the Race07 section of this site. Give er and post a time. I'll see what i can do as well. I suck at Monza but will give it a shot.

Upvote 0
Monza is easy, my problem is uncontrollable brake locks ups, so when I buy a piece of equipment with superior construction, I expect that impediment to disappear, as such, I should go faster very quickly.
I've done over a 1000hrs on GTR evo, it's not practice, it's DFGT brake pedal.

Upvote 0
Sounds like you might well see an improvement quickly, though it also sounds like it is your specific pedal set that is the issue. I have a DFPro, and it uses the same pedal set. I don't have issues with brakes locking all the time and I am able to out brake some of the best at times who use G25's, G27's and CSP pedal sets.

Upvote 0
K...136 is good, but laptimes are dependent on HW, at least with my dodgy pedal set, and there's a huge thread at GT planet complaining about it.
I'll have a G27 within 30days, and then I'll report back, but i find it hard to believe I'll be struggling with it's proper brake system.
R your CSP hardmounted?

Upvote 0
Sounds like you might well see an improvement quickly, though it also sounds like it is your specific pedal set that is the issue. I have a DFPro, and it uses the same pedal set. I don't have issues with brakes locking all the time and I am able to out brake some of the best at times who use G25's, G27's and CSP pedal sets.

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=172158

S
ounds like you got lucky, but many others haven't been so lucky, as such I'll never recommend a DFGT or any basic wheel set for sim racing, IMO, a g27 is entry level if you're serious.

Upvote 0
DFGT HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA....that's my opinion.
It won't be too long before I'm just 1 second behind Horus3000 in the F3000, and as far as I can tell, he's the fastest F3000 driver on the pub Evo servers.
The g27 is far from perfect, but one thing's for sure, it's MUCH faster than the crappy DFGT which only has merit as a simcade wheel.

To put it into some perspective...here are my best times on this equipment

F3000 Instanbul 06

xbox pad....1m46
DFGT.........1m41.6
DFGT sponge brake mod....1m41.1
G27 a few days ownership....1m40flat.

See the trend guys....

Upvote 0
DFGT HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA....that's my opinion.
It won't be too long before I'm just 1 second behind Horus3000 in the F3000, and as far as I can tell, he's the fastest F3000 driver on the pub Evo servers.
The g27 is far from perfect, but one thing's for sure, it's MUCH faster than the crappy DFGT which only has merit as a simcade wheel.

To put it into some perspective...here are my best times on this equipment

F3000 Instanbul 06

xbox pad....1m46
DFGT.........1m41.6
DFGT sponge brake mod....1m41.1
G27 a few days ownership....1m40flat.

See the trend guys....
Do you have any legitimate criticism other than "not G27 so sux lololol"? Some of us can't afford to just drop $200+ on what is, in the end, an expensive toy...

Upvote 0
Do you have any legitimate criticism other than "not G27 so sux lololol"? Some of us can't afford to just drop $200+ on what is, in the end, an expensive toy...

The DFGT wheel rim is hard plastic, so it sux.
The DFGT's wheel responsiveness seems quicker, but it's like the G27 adds 20% front downforce so it handles better, IOW, the DFGT sux.
Both the DFGT's pedals suck

Even though I don't think much of the flimsy 6 speed on the G27, it's lightyears ahead of the DFGT, as such, the DFGT's stick shift sux.
The paddles shifters on the G27 are pretty damn good, you can really slam them into gear, but the DFGT has switches which work fine, but offer no immersion whatsover so naturally the DFGT paddles switches suck.
The construction of the G27 pedals are outstanding, whereas the DFGT is just wobbly dodgy sprocket spring based crap and you guessed, they suck.

When plugging the DFGT in via USB, the wheel calibrates by doing 900deg of rotation and this is a noisy process, however, the G27 is about 3x quieter, so the DFGT sux on calibration as well.

Upvote 0
Brian, I can't say for certain about the DFGT as I use a DFPro, but from what I have read and can tell the two are very similar. I believe the GT replaced the Pro version. I can tell you though that I have been using this DFPro for at least 4 years and have had very little trouble with it. I have had to open the wheel once and replace a button, but that was all for that. The pedals have held up well, but they do require that you clean them on occasion just like many other pedal sets out there.

Sure they don't feel like the pedals in a real car, nor do they feel like the pedals that come with the G27 from what I hear, but they have served me well. I have heard that there is an adapter you can get that allows you to plug the pedals directly into the USB port that increases the accuracy of the pedals by quite a bit.

One thing I learned a long time ago, if the wheel/pedal set comes from Logitech you pretty much can't go wrong. You just have to get used to what you get and learn to use it to it's fullest.

As for the calibration when you plug the wheel in, if you have the wheel set to the standard turning, which is 200 degrees, the calibration usually only goes through calibrating for that and not the full 900 degrees.

Upvote 0
Jim as you have neither the DFGT or G27{I have both} is it really appropriate for you to keep recommending such junk?
Also, the G27 pedal construction is fantastic, whereas the DFGT's mandate was to make a pedal set as cheaply as possible.

Upvote 0
Given the price difference, and the fact that the person asking the question stated that he had a problem spending that much money for a wheel (G27 pricing), I find it difficult at best to recommend a wheel other than the DFGT at that price point. The rest of the wheels available in that price range are a lot worse than the DFGT.

Now if he had mentioned that he wanted to get the best wheel he could, then I would be recommending the ECCI wheels as they have a lot more accuracy and build quality than the G27 does.

Upvote 0
I hope he isn't into sim racing, otherwise he'll have to languish mid field in some cases, and he might score some wins if the top guys drop out.
For me, I think CSR elite+CSPs and the FREX sequential shifter would suit many people wanting more than a G27, but ideally you want a decent sim rig.

Regardless of the G27 flaws, I'm happy as I'm now faster every time I step into a car.

IMO, a great wheel would be the G27 minus the 6 speed, and only 2 pedals as the clutch is a quality item mated to a pissy lifeless 6speed.

Upvote 0
I think there's a bit too much vehemence against the DFGT going on, time to add a comment.

I own the DFGT (2 years old), G25 (4 years old) and Fanatec GT2 with CSP (1 week old). I've used my DFGT only with GT5 and DiRT 2 on the PS3, but I've also used both of my other wheels with GT5 for direct comparison.

DFGT positives:
- Great button layout for use with PS3.
- Unique in-race tuning wheel for use with GT5.
- FFB is light but perfectly adequate.
- It doesn't weight much, easy to move around on a wheelstand.
- It's very cheap and yet very robust.

DFGT negatives:
- Lightly placing your foot on the brake pedal gives 5-10% brake input, so you have to learn to place your left foot next to the pedal when not braking. No big issue, but entirely unnecessary with G25 or CSP pedals.
- You can't get much nuance out of either the brake or accelerator on the DFGT. This is no problem if you own a DFGT mainly for GT5, since GT5 really doesn't penalize you much if you just stomp the brake. However, this would be a bigger problem in PC sims where you need to be delicate with the brakes to avoid locking up.
- The paddle shifter buttons are not placed very well, and regularly cause a bit of cramp in my hand. The sequential shifter is not that nice, either, so I end up using the paddle buttons (whereas I almost always use the sequential shifter on my G25 and GT2 wheels).
- You can't spin the wheel very fast, the motors get in the way. This makes correctly oversteer a little tricky and drifting pretty difficult, even with GT5's "power steering" trick.

What I don't subscribe to is that you can be noticeably faster with higher end wheels than with the DFGT. Perhaps in iRacing where nuance is very important (I've only played that on my G25), but in GT5 I'm almost identical pace whether I use my G25, Fanatec GT2 or my DFGT. Each wheel lets you be accurate with the steering and squeeze the accelerator with enough nuance to get the job done.

So while I'm never going to say that the DFGT is a better wheel, if you want something adequate for GT5 it's perfectly good. If you want to race iRacing competitively then you're better off going with something of G25/27 level or better.

Upvote 0
So while I'm never going to say that the DFGT is a better wheel, if you want something adequate for GT5 it's perfectly good. If you want to race iRacing competitively then you're better off going with something of G25/27 level or better.

What about rfactor, Simbin{5-6 games}, GSC, LFS?
And whilst the DFGT might not be penalized in simcades like GT5/F1 2010 etc, the wheel rim is hard plastic, the stick shift is about as cheaply made as could be without breaking after a few upshifts, also the DFGT paddles have ZERO immersion compared to any full sized paddles.
I had huge problems under brakes and under acceleration with the DFGT, but I wasn't a 1000% sure till I got the G27 and realized how much better the G27 gas pedal is.

The G27 pedal construction really is very good, and even though I don't like the 6 speed, I can appreciate it'd be a lot more fun if sim rig mounted.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 108 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 202 14.9%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 384 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing