Tracks Deutschlandring

Looks great so far! While the rocks do look great as is, I think a normal (and possibly a spec map) will really make them stand out even more.

This thing just keeps getting better and better :)

Thanks :) Even though it was only a quick test I am pretty happy with the effect. To be honest, what I really don't want is for them to stand out. The more I learn about making tracks, and especially tracks in a natural environment, the more I realise that nothing should stand out. If you notice it, it's too obvious. 3D grass is a prefect example of that, too.

The rock looks great! I was going to say it could use a spec map just to liven it up (not nessecarily make it stand out more), but it's a rough piece of rock in the middle of the woods. Hardly any light would reflect IRL. The diffuse looks awesome as it is and you'll be whizzing by anyway ;)

I am pretty happy with my water texture / shader now :)
D-Ring_water1.jpg

It looks ok as a still image, but would obviously benefit from some movement :( Do you think the devs would design a new shader, just for me? Combining the flag shader, Normal Map and alpha blend? I would be a very happy man, then :thumbsup:

Looks very good already, reminds me old postcards. If water edge would have pronounced texture and there would be 3D grass and some ducks swimming it would be absolutely fantastic ! I guess that depends how much business is to make a new shader, it would be definitely awesome.

I am pretty happy with my water texture / shader now :)
D-Ring_water1.jpg

It looks ok as a still image, but would obviously benefit from some movement :( Do you think the devs would design a new shader, just for me? Combining the flag shader, Normal Map and alpha blend? I would be a very happy man, then :thumbsup:
That looks beautiful. Your work is taking Assetto Corsa to new levels. I think you are pushing the AC graphics beyond what the AC developers themselves could have thought possible. This is really incredible work.

Would be such an incredible Dream Team for AC to hire you and Lilski to recreate those vintage circuits. It won't happen, but WOW, can you imagine the circuits we would have:

- Watkins Glen 1967
- Solitude
- Kyalami 1967

That's three ready before June. I would pay 20 Euro for those three easy.

Please charge for them. The Formula Hybrid mod has been a sensational add-on this week, everyone has been blown away by how good it is. Please charge for your next circuits. It means a great return for you guys and satisfaction for us.'

Like I said, for circuits at standard of Riverside/Thompson, a historic Watkins Glen, Solitude and Kyalami I would easily pay 20 EURO.

Well I don't want to go too off topic here but that number for RIR is a bit misleading. There was 5 updates to RIR each adding to the total download numbers. 1.0 has the most at just over 24k downloads and sometimes the race department download counter can get seriously inflated by people using download managers.

Also once you go payware you really should not be using the real circuit names anymore unless you license it. Even though some of these tracks are long gone there are people that still hold the rights to them and I'm sure they want their cut. There is a reason the RSS Formula 17 car is generic. Technically it is still illegal for free mods to use official names too. But since they are free very little is ever really done about it.

And on top of that within minutes of the RSS Formula 17 car being released it was on YouTube with a free download. I'm sure that will take a huge bite out of their profits.

I was asked numerous times to go payware when I built planes for Flightsim 2004 and I never did. I always feared it would take the fun out of it. I may be wrong but I still enjoy making tracks in my free time as well as I know @Fat-Alfie does. Kunos doesn't seem to want to build tracks and we can build the tracks we want and will likely continue to do so. If you happen to like those tracks then great. If not then you simply cannot please everybody.

Technically it is still illegal for free mods to use official names too. But since they are free very little is ever really done about it.

Yea, that's something a lot of people seem to forget. And, as rare as it is, I've seen guys tussle with the lawyers over free mods in the past. Protip - don't bother making anything with a Tommy Bahama logo. Way back in the SCGT days someone was working on the Qvale Mangusta Trans-Am car with the Tommy Bahama sponsorship on it and their lawyers were quite rough with him apparently. Wound up canning the entire project because of it, despite the fact that it was the sponsor and not the car itself that caused the trouble.

Do you think the devs would design a new shader, just for me? Combining the flag shader, Normal Map and alpha blend? I would be a very happy man, then :thumbsup:
I did ask about new shaders once, I think with the goal of creating different metal flake colours, but that's a part of the game they're not touching. Too difficult to beta test or something (not sure if it's the case with directx, but with opengl, ati & nvidia don't support the same api across different cards so it's tricky to find instructions that'll work)

Please charge for them. The Formula Hybrid mod has been a sensational add-on this week, everyone has been blown away by how good it is. Please charge for your next circuits. It means a great return for you guys and satisfaction for us.'

Like I said, for circuits at standard of Riverside/Thompson, a historic Watkins Glen, Solitude and Kyalami I would easily pay 20 EURO.

You could donate on their tracks if you really like them. I think I recall a donate button on some tracks.

You could donate on their tracks if you really like them. I think I recall a donate button on some tracks.

No donation buttons on my track - I think Lilski has one for NJMP, though. I have no problem with other people asking for donations, but it's not for me. I like the idea of zero pressure / 100% for fun, when it comes to track making. I am against charging for mods - that is something I will never do.

I have finally finished knitting my grass verges to my low poly terrain, all 20km of them (L & R edges :().

One thing that bugged me on Thomson Road was the slightly visible join between the terrain meshes, although due to the density of vegetation it wasn't really a huge problem. As the D-Ring has a great view-able distance, the joins need to be seamless. Blending the textures is no problem, but correcting the normals to smooth the lighting along the two edges is such a pain :thumbsdown:

I found this 3ds max script today, which has really helped - http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/vertex-normals-stitcher

It effectively unifies the normals where to poly objects meet, but without having to weld them. It has been a god send for me, and hopefully could help anyone else who uses 3ds max for track modelling :thumbsup:
Stitcher_03.jpg

Stitcher_01.jpg

Stitcher_02.jpg

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 99 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline