Tracks Deutschlandring

Anyone is welcome to try them, I'm not working on secret projects or anything daft like that. All I was trying to say was that I don't plan on working on my tracks to the same level of detail that I managed for TR. And if they're not 'complete' then I can't release them. I know it's rather selfish / self-indulgent of me, but once they reach a level of completion that is good enough for me to drive and enjoy, the extra 90% of the effort required to get them to release-quality feels like it's just for everyone else, and not me. I'd rather spend the time researching other forgotten tracks :)

Anyone is welcome to try them, I'm not working on secret projects or anything daft like that. All I was trying to say was that I don't plan on working on my tracks to the same level of detail that I managed for TR. And if they're not 'complete' then I can't release them. I know it's rather selfish / self-indulgent of me, but once they reach a level of completion that is good enough for me to drive and enjoy, the extra 90% of the effort required to get them to release-quality feels like it's just for everyone else, and not me. I'd rather spend the time researching other forgotten tracks :)
But then maybe, just maybe you should not tease us with them here...;)

@Fat-Alfie - you have not teased us with anything. You have absolutely nothing to apologize for. :redface: You've educated many of us regarding some old, forgotten race tracks and even a couple of current race tracks. Anyone who actually respects and appreciates your work knows that you don't owe us anything.

I don't know what the future holds, but I would love it if you kept us abreast of some of the race tracks you're researching. I love seeing the old photos and just learning about the track/road. If old video footage can be found, that's a grand slam home run! :D

Keep working with old tracks Fat-Alfie. You have skills to making tracks and passion for older historic tracks. You also have nice ideas to making new things to tracks to make them more alive etc. Track modding needs your kind of track maker, because otherwise we only get some updated tracks from older games.

I'm personally a little bit "stupid" because i work with rally stages for AC, even there is 0% support for loose surface, but i don't care because i finally have game with good gfx engine and i can make my dreams come true. :) ..Maybe someday we have good rally game where i can port these stages and fully enjoy them. ;)

Does the author still distribute this track? I would like to try it even if is not complete. I have a soft spot for old tracks. :)

I totally understand your point, it's your hobby and if it doesn't make fun, it's not a hobby anymore.
But with researching forgotten tracks you will have unique and valuable information about wonderful tracks which probably will be totally forgotten. I think to preserving these tracks it's not the best way not to share this information :D

2 things came to my mind:
- maybe you should lower a little bit your very high quality standard of "release"
I'm sure there are a lot of people who are much more interested in proper road feeling and accuracy then trackside objects.
- as was suggested before we should try to help you
I know you don't like donations, but what happens if the donation is not money but working hours? We are producing 3D animation, so we have some professional modeler colleagues, who I think would help me for some beer :) Please find out how could I help, and I will!
You should start a thread about one track, and make a list what you have and what you need, and maybe we can share your work.

By the way Thomson Road is one of the most popular tracks here, because your one and only version has 18k downloads. Very few tracks was downloaded more. The big numbers you can see are cumulated figures from many versions. So I don't think nobody cares historic circuits :)

More like v0.1 betas :p

Maybe I underestimated the amount of interest in historic circuits :thumbsup: I am still working on my tracks, and am still enjoying modding too. Deciding not to focus on releasing them takes the pressure off myself as there are now no deadlines, no promises, no commitments. I'm a freelance designer and when work gets hectic I don't feel as torn between work and AC modding now.

I'm currently back on Feldbergring, replacing all of the 7000+ trees, which is a job I started a while back, and the reason that progress was halted :sleep:. It seems I just need a break from time to time :)

Numbers speak for themselves, even Kunos released some old layout, because it's suits old cars too, and it's very nice to be able to historicly match some races.
Those who really appreciate mods won't push for releases or whatever, do what you like and enjoy it, and if one day you think you can share your work with us, we will all thank you.
And for the kids that can't wait, a simple "Soon tm" should do the trick ;)

More like v0.1 betas :p

Maybe I underestimated the amount of interest in historic circuits :thumbsup: I am still working on my tracks, and am still enjoying modding too. Deciding not to focus on releasing them takes the pressure off myself as there are now no deadlines, no promises, no commitments. I'm a freelance designer and when work gets hectic I don't feel as torn between work and AC modding now.

I'm currently back on Feldbergring, replacing all of the 7000+ trees, which is a job I started a while back, and the reason that progress was halted :sleep:. It seems I just need a break from time to time :)

I really hope you eventually release your Clermont-Ferrand and Solitude tracks, they would be a great edition! :):thumbsup:

Hey, we now have Clermont-Ferrand for AC, in all its 8km glory :)

And judging by all the 5 star reviews, there's no need for me to bother finishing my version - how can I possibly complete with perfection? :thumbsup:

Thomson Road is a trip back in time; a simracing fantasy made real. Thank goodness for modders like @Fat-Alfie :thumbsup::cool:
Screenshot_shelby_cobra_427sc_thomson_21-2-118-15-10-29.jpg
Screenshot_shelby_cobra_427sc_thomson_21-2-118-15-12-40.jpg

Thomson Road is one of most beatiful tracks ever done for any sim :)
It is a track that set a new quality standard, same as Targa Florio for GPL or Longford for RF1 :)
i have to says Thomson track inspired me a lot and show me that great vintage tracks can be done for AC :). @Fat-Alfie keep working on tracks!!

And judging by all the 5 star reviews, there's no need for me to bother finishing my version - how can I possibly complete with perfection? :thumbsup:
A day or two ago, a friend on GTPlanet who's recently converted to the PC version of AC brought up the current rating system. I think he hit the nail on the head:
"Almost everyone there just gives 5 star ratings to every mod they come across, as if it's an encouragement system and not a rating system." I have to admit I've probably been guilty of it too. :(

There is this layout called Feldbergring - think Targa Florio but in a heavily wooded spot of Germany and considerably shorter. :D Anyway, there is this section of road - a short, twisty, steep decline of road which happens to be made of bumpy cobblestone :confused: and suddenly a sharp +90° turn that's hidden by a church (I believe). Every time I travel this section it's "hold breath, pray my ABS works and wince like I'm in a real car and I know I'm about to crash for carrying too much speed." :D :cool: It feels like forever when I can finally exhale and get back on the gas - my car has made that turn safely...I'm Safe!! Until the next lap that is.. :D

Emotions like that can't be faked. My heart beats a little faster when I cross the Start/Finish line and I'm anticipating that dangerous downhill section in just a few seconds. The cobblestone hill isn't the only section of Feldbergring that gets my heart racing. There are more, just like there are sections on Thomson, Bridgehampton & Riverside that do the same thing. I think there is one on the Deutschlandring, though I have the least amount of experience with that road.

These old forgotten tracks have character modern tracks don't. There is a certain je ne sais quoi in the mods mentioned above that Silverstone lacks. That Nurburgring GP/Sprint lacks. That Vallelunga lacks. I'm sure the others enjoy learning the history behind these roads and circuits just as much as I do. :thumbsup:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 252 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 169 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 167 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 125 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 230 13.8%