Derek Warwick Claims Mercedes' Bahrain Battle "Too Dangerous"

Derek-Warwick_1981633a.jpg

Former F1 driver Derek Warwick who acts on occasion as a driver steward for F1 races has made a claim saying that the duel between Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg in Bahrain was "too dangerous" and has said that Mercedes should have told their drivers to hold station and stick with an easy 1-2 victory.
F1+Grand+Prix+of+Bahrain+aGxP_Y9Z-AWx.jpg

"It showed a sign of stupidity because if both drivers were out of the race it might have looked good for the television audience, but at the end of the day you have to show more responsibility to the team and sponsors.”

Derek also said that Mercedes were very lucky on that day/night in Bahrain. Another statement he made was that "there is always agreements within the drivers and teams and sometimes it is necessary to call off the battles" meaning that he is saying the battle between the two should have been called off, he later said that it happened in the 80's and 90's and even today when battles get called off for the better of the team and the result.

My question to you, is Derek Warwick right and should the battle between the two drivers have been called off?

Yeah, let's have Super Mario flappy things and boost buttons to encourage on track battles, then call a team stupid for having on track battles... I completely disagree with Derek Warwick. Bahrain is normally boring, but that was a brilliant race in 2014. And also, they didn't crash into each other so I don't see the point of all the "ooooh but what if they'd crashed" rubbish.

I don't think it should have been called off. However when Lewis cut across Nico that was far worse a move than nico touching Lewis at spa.

I disagree.
Lewis didn't make contact and was entitled to be where he was.
Nico mis-judged, was never going to make the move stick, made contact, caused a puncture and effectively ruined the prospect of a closely-fought race.
I'd say that was worse than aggressively taking back a position.

I disagree.
Lewis didn't make contact and was entitled to be where he was.
Nico mis-judged, was never going to make the move stick, made contact, caused a puncture and effectively ruined the prospect of a closely-fought race.
I'd say that was worse than aggressively taking back a position.
Although Lewis only didn't make contact because Nico had to take avoiding action. You shouldn't have to take avoiding action from your team mate. If Maldonado had done the same to someone and they hadn't been quick enough to avoid. We would have all been shouting at how stupid and dangerous that was. The rules are clear that if any part of your opponents car is along side yours, you must leave room at the side of the track. Lewis didn't and Nico had to back out and steer away from him.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 327 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 218 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 283 13.4%