Depressing statistic about F1 followers in the U.S.A.

I got this statistic from a Fast Lane Daily podcast that took place somewhere in 2011.

To paraphrase what one of the guys were saying, he said that only 15 per cent of the American population are fans of F1 racing.

Out of an estimated population of 313,172,000, only 46,975,800. For some of you who live outside the U.S., the F1 fans here may outpopulate your country.

I don't really know about other regions of the U.S., but, in the Southeast, most people follow NASCAR, which, I don't really watch unless they race at Infineon and Watkins Glen. If you ask them or talk to them about F1, they might say the following:

"What's F1?" or "What's Formula One?"
"What kind of cars are they?"
"When do they usually race?"
"Where do they race?"

The list goes on...

That´s 4 times the population of Sweden lol.

Just imagine what will happen after 2013 when the two GP´s have ran.
NASCAR is on a downrise so this is the perfect time for F1 to step in.

I would bet most of those 46 million are true hardcore fans sitting in the middle of the night watching F1 on a stream or something :)

you realize its a big freaking country.....as big as the people themselves (not me ehheh)

Anywho, youd be surprised as I am that there are people here who actually watch F1, might not be your average person, but just ask aroudn the non fat one with a degree and they say "ugh I hope that german doesnt win"...dont belive me I can go around my University and youtube post answers. Matter fact lots more people know F1 now days ever since Codies decided to launch their game.

So what if the majority of Americans dont care about F1, im glad most of them dont cuz they are simply morons that believe Nascar is a real motor sport. I , as an American, grew up on F1 *lucky* and detest any 10K rpm oval crap, anyways I will be attending the Race, with my fancy $3000 ticket just to get up close to the cars, but realize this, F1 isnt popular here jsut as much as soccer is here. If USA were to host the FIFA World Cup, a small majority of real Americans would even go to the event, while you got people al over the wrold coming in. Or your just gonna have most Americans there because is just once in every few years big deal event, same with F1.

good lord.
P.S: No im not defending the typical American, but just the F1 fanatics that are a rare breed (like me) :p

Also I have a quick plan if any admins might be interested. Since il be goign Ima be gettin some hats autographed and maybe we can give a few away on a ruffle sign up list....just throwing that out there. you can contact me if it sounds like a good idea. attending this race will be my Xmas present :p

Define a fan of something.
15% is probably what I would call a good estimation of F1 fans in Europe, i:e people who follow the series on a regular basis.

And why is people who haven't heard or don't care about F1 despressing?
People have different taste, for example I don't know a schmuck about football nor do I care about it, is that depressing then?

And 46 975 800 fans isn't a little either and that's only in America, I know plenty of people here in Mexico who are saving up to go to Austin and the F1 GP there.

My point is calling statistics depressing because someone doesn't interest in a certain thing just shows ignorance from the part of F1 fans.
Also they constant taunting and joking about turning left is getting old people.

F1 isn't everyone's number one's motorsport and in some terms it isn't even the best to watch IMO.

well the turning left thing is a joke just as much as they say how pampered F1 drivers are. I do respect the talent it gets to get thru 500 Miles of racing, it takes energy, but is just not as watchable.
Its sad tho, and I agree, that most of my countryman just think of F1 as inferior....i mean...really...
Even the chicks go nutz here for their car drivers...im like...come on, you cna do better

So what if the majority of Americans dont care about F1, im glad most of them dont cuz they are simply morons that believe Nascar is a real motor sport.

This my friend, is absolutely hilarious :)

I don´t want to say anything but i have a hard time seeing NASCAR as a true sport. It´s 100% entertainment.
Who´s gonna win? Well the luckiest guy in the field obviously.

Define a fan of something.
15% is probably what I would call a good estimation of F1 fans in Europe, i:e people who follow the series on a regular basis.

And why is people who haven't heard or don't care about F1 despressing?
People have different taste, for example I don't know a schmuck about football nor do I care about it, is that depressing then?

And 46 975 800 fans isn't a little either and that's only in America, I know plenty of people here in Mexico who are saving up to go to Austin and the F1 GP there.

My point is calling statistics depressing because someone doesn't interest in a certain thing just shows ignorance from the part of F1 fans.
Also they constant taunting and joking about turning left is getting old people.

F1 isn't everyone's number one's motorsport and in some terms it isn't even the best to watch IMO.

See, Fredrik, what I am saying is that 85% of the estimated American population has either heard about F1, but for a brief moment, or they don't acknowledge the existence of F1.

In Europe, there may be people who don't find F1 interesting, but, at least, they have a general idea of it. In America, English football (soccer) is not all too popular but a majority of Americans have a general idea of it.

All right my turn, :D

I love motorsports, I don't discriminate.

NASCAR fans, the typical southern ones (which make up the majority of fans), are very steadfast in their ways and will only support the "American" brand, it's that simple.

Now saying that most Americans don't know F1, yes that's true, I don't see what the big deal is. Is it a big deal that we are getting 2 races and still people don't know F1? F1 is not trying to attract the NASCAR fan. If it did Lewis Hamilton would have a big Budwieser logo on the side of the car. Bernie could care less if Americans go to the new races here, the only reason they are here is so they can be watched in prime time in Europe where the core audience is.

Each motorsport has its pros and cons, that's why I watch/follow them all :)

This my friend, is absolutely hilarious :)

I don´t want to say anything but i have a hard time seeing NASCAR as a true sport. It´s 100% entertainment.
Who´s gonna win? Well the luckiest guy in the field obviously.
So? I dont care its entertainment really. You've got to see it once and you'll be hooked. Having a bbq on the parking, go into the racing arena and watch the entire race from the first to last minute and you can see all the action happening.

I know people that pay 500 euros for seat at the F1 GP at Spa and they see one corner and the drivers passing by 40(?) times? :) Do the math and then ask yourself what is hilarious :)

Both sports in my opinion have really attractive parts. I love to see F1 on TV, but i think i rather go to a live NASCAR race.

So? I dont care its entertainment really. You've got to see it once and you'll be hooked. Having a bbq on the parking, go into the racing arena and watch the entire race from the first to last minute and you can see all the action happening.

I know people that pay 500 euros for seat at the F1 GP at Spa and they see one corner and the drivers passing by 40(?) times? :) Do the math and then ask yourself what is hilarious :)

Both sports in my opinion have really attractive parts. I love to see F1 on TV, but i think i rather go to a live NASCAR race.

Just be careful not to get hit by a flying tyre! :p I'm only kidding, though. I hope they have raised the fences to protect the spectators.

EDIT - On some circuits, there is still plenty of open air above the spectators.

You know, I think that was quite a dark joke I made. I'm sorry!

I used to detest NASCAR and was one of the uneducated clichéd followers of Motorsport.
"NASCAR is boring"
"They only turn left"
"They don't have to change gear"

But then I accidentally caught a race live, it was Daytona 500 a few years back.
I thought it was brilliant.
It's massively tactical, and when you see drivers getting the back end out at 200 mph you think that takes talent to control.

From then on initially I worked on the principal I would just watch the big races, Indianapolis, Daytona and Talladega, but found myself tuning in every week.

Don't get me wrong I still prefer F1 but NASCAR is still very good and not as bad as the cliché suggests.

Back OT I think 15% of Americans being interested in F1 is a very good statistic. I think the figure would be very similar in Europe.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back