Default Content

Cosmo° said:
Ruud has been reluctant to change the default car and track for some time now, apart from the addition of the Baja suspension movables and the garage track additions, the Lamborghini has been the choice for many years now and unfortunately it shows.

The updated version that is included in the latest v0.8.35 beta already has some factual corrections as well as a number of modern features that weren't present before. Dave is probably polishing it further when he finds some time for it these days and I suppose the next beta will get another updated version of the car as a result of that.

That doesn't change the fact that with AWD, ABS and TC being a bit of a hack in Racer at the moment, the Murcielago might still be a bit too advanced for it's own good - a simpler vehicle of the MX-5 variety for example would probably be easier to get to a higher level of realism. Maybe it's time we as the community have a discussion about future solutions for the default content slots?

From a sheer numbers point of view, the Murcielago's performance and handling are pretty good already. The way it feels and behaves can probably improved on any release out there, though there are limitations and compromises in the details. The AWD hack alone has a big influence on front end traction, we have relatively little control over this due to the lack of multiple differential support etc.
A new final version seems to be just over the horizon, so now would be the time to discuss/acquire/perfect the default content for free Racer.

In the past, Racer has had a few different cars - the GPL Ferrari 312 (and maybe a 330?), the Renault Alpine A110, the Spoon Honda S2000, and then, for the last 5-6 years, the Lamborghini Murcielago. It's also had a couple tracks - Carrera, then Carlswood NT.

It would be nice if the next final version came with content that serves as a good example of all the features available in modern Racer - so what do you think that should be? (Obviously as it'd be bundled with the game proper permission needs to exist.) Continued work to update the Lamborghini and make it the best it can be? Another car? A different track? If the players get together and work on something, our combined talent can definitely put together something good.

The default car must incorporate all features for cars, lights, horn, wipers, turn signals etc.

The same goes for the default track, include all surfaces available and tests areas for handling, acceleration, top speed etc.

Having each default car be a good example would be great, but the tracks I think can be a bit more separated since having a snowy section of a race track that is mostly summer, and raining elsewhere would be wonky.

But it would be nice to have a snow track and a rain track, etc. that were versions of the other track that had the testing areas on it. (but do not limit to just one track imo, though you cannot go overboard either, becuase then you are downloading 500MB each update and that would be incredibly lame. Also use 7zip! and it would be nice to have updates in patch format imo, some of us lack high BW caps.)

Thanks for the new comments - I hope there are more to come, given the size of the community :)

I'm a big supporter of the idea Dave mentioned, to have a proper, real world manufacturer style proving ground, with all kinds of surface types from dry tarmac to wet basalt tiles, gravel, mud etc - gradients, specific road undulations, axle articulation tests, trenches, skidpad and so on and so forth. Until now, there hasn't been much resonance when it was brought up in discussions some of us had outside of the forum, but maybe this time it catches on? We have so many tiny tracks that only cater for one or two specific test events (sounds'n'surfaces has a couple, chaseyertail, lunghezza, various bump test straightline locations, Carlswood's slalom section...), but never have they been combined.
If you're interested and want to be inspired, just search for Lommel proving grounds, Millbrook, GM Yuma, Chrysler Chelsea, Nissan Arizona, Ford Michigan, Milford, Tochigi...

boomer: Does that mean you'd prefer a single vehicle and a single track to be implemented?
Also, I'm sure that was your intention as well, but having as many of these visual features on a car is nice and desirable for a default/showcase, though making use of the engine braking, damper and spring curves, more recent differential styles and similar physics simulation features would have priority? I could also mention the MF5.2 pacejka, but to be honest I don't know if this is actually leading us somewhere.
I personally think that simulation features are first in line at least, since pretty looking cars can already be found elsewhere, GTA4, NfS and other great modding communities - unique to Racer are simulation core elements like the damper curves, which I haven't seen in any other sim yet - that is such an enormously powerful tool for handling setup, but just one example of what makes Racer interesting.

I think Racer really needs a few default cars.

A normal FWD shopping car that feels accessible to all. Say a Golf VI GTi or something.

A very sporty RWD car, like a Porsche 911 GT3, that is still a road car, but very sporty.

Then a full on sports car like an LMP or F1 car, very fast etc.

Then you cater for anyone wanting to grab Racer for whatever tickles their fancy.

I'm a road car man myself, but can totally appreciate a decent F1 car too (I really want to make one for Racer :D )

Dave

The download of a new version takes a lot of time even with using 7-Zip for those in the community without broadband. Pity the poor guy with dial-up! The download package should include only the stuff that has changed, do we need to have another copy of tracked if it hasn't changed. The utilities can be a separate package for those that are just starting out with racer and the default cars/tracks can be another package. Once the three are downloaded, the next upgrade can indicate if anything has changed in the utilities or default package.

Like someone, not some1, said, keep it simple...

Maybe when the full version of racer comes out 'somebody' can burn it onto a CD, i dont think it costs that much nowadays to get some CD's

I don't even remember the last time I used a CD... Nowadays, I think for most people it is no problem to download 500mb-1gb worth of Racer.
Also, BitTorrent!

Split the download into chunks. maybe a fullshebang zip and an update.zip for all files & content to current version, then a Racer engine zip, cars zip & track zip. Maybe the default cars and tracks as seperate downloads, not everyone will download all the default content, it saves bandwidth.​
Then people can download the bits, the whole lot if they want/can, and the update zip should be a lot smaller than the full zip, not that much changes version to version. torrenting it is also a good idea

Split the download into chunks. maybe a fullshebang zip and an update.zip for all files & content to current version, then a Racer engine zip, cars zip & track zip. Maybe the default cars and tracks as seperate downloads, not everyone will download all the default content, it saves bandwidth.​
Then people can download the bits, the whole lot if they want/can, and the update zip should be a lot smaller than the full zip, not that much changes version to version. torrenting it is also a good idea

Well, I'm afraid we are going to get lot of complaints like "I downloaded Racer and just got the exe, where's the rest of it?" etc...

Updates (patches!) need to be very well distinguishable from the main game.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back