Dedicated server: Missing SteamID in session files

S

Stefan Gunnersen

• Stefan Gunnersen

I am building a php parser that puts session log files from a dedicated server in a database and can make all kinds of statistics with it.

If I create a user database and people can register with it, I would like to use their Steam ID or Steam Username to track their driving on the server. The driver name is not good enough since it can be changed by the driver - and Steam ID/Username cannot. So to prevent abuse of the server or the stats system, I would like to use Steam ID/Username.

However, I have noticed that the session log files from a dedicated server does NOT contain players' steam ID or steam username. On the other hand, this is registered in the LIVE session files, but LIVE session files does not gather all data from a session. Only session files include all laps and all drivers etc.

Anyone know if it is possible to get the steam_id through the session log files or whether it is a programming error or anything?

I have tried to contact SimBin, but they have not responded (2 months ago). It would easy for them to include it in a patch, but I guess I have no power to convince them :D

Comments are MORE than welcome!

• Stefan Gunnersen

Hm....... I just checked my local files and there are steam_id's from races and qualifies...

Maybe I should try hosting a server again ...

Could it be it is only local files and not uploaded ftp-files that contain unique id's?

Man, I am confused now ...

ok but check your plr file first plz
look for the line like the one below and change the 0 to 1
Extra Stats="1" // Saves separate verbose stats for any session (instead of simple stats for most recent race only)

i can not remember if i had to do this on my server but i do know it is done on my game PC

• Stefan Gunnersen

Yeah, that part I did know :) That was the first thing I made sure of. But I am not sure it is needed on a dedicated server? There is a seperate reporting tool which I use to upload to FTP.

Anyway, I will try it out tomorrow, I think. I seem to have found some log files from 11th Nov which do NOT have the steam IDs. But the next day they HAVE the steam ID's. VERY strange... Now I need to find out whether it actually WAS fixed with a patch or whether it was my local files that registered these settings - or maybe even a THIRD thing.

• Stefan Gunnersen

Aha, I really must take time out of the calendar to study what the problem is. It could be a very good thing to get a unique ID on users when they race on a server. This way, all they gotta do, is type in their steam account ID in the options and bang, the server would right away be able to put statistics together and use the user's other information as well (such as name, country etc. - e.g. statistics by country, gender, age and so on).

• Hayden Walker

how can i join people form race department online?

i am new at this game and am just wondering how i connect to members of race department

thnks

supraboi

• Stefan Gunnersen

If anybody wants to help me find out whether or not a dedicated server can register Steam ID and Steam User, please find the server "Join Me For Racing" and log on to it and drive at least one lap with a lap time.

This would help me very, very much! It will be online for the next eight hours or so.

Thank you in advance.

By the way, you should know that I will and cannot use the unique names for anything. If I should try to do anything with it I would need a password to log on to anybody's account.

• Stefan Gunnersen

Hm... It IS very strange. Now I have tested it again - just with myself online. It did NOT get the Steam ID or username. But when I look at the session files for the past two months, then it is very much on/off whether it is registered in the log files or not. Very, very strange. But as Piotr said: It might be a bug in Evo/Race '07... :-(

I am shutting down the server now - this frustrates me ...

If I create a user database and people can register with it, I would like to use their Steam ID or Steam Username to track their driving on the server. The driver name is not good enough since it can be changed by the driver - and Steam ID/Username cannot. So to prevent abuse of the server or the stats system, I would like to use Steam ID/Username.

would it not be possible to ftp both files then correlate the 2 server side on the parser and create a custom session file with 1 full selection of info for each driver before adding to the main database?

• Stefan Gunnersen

Well, I think that the local and the ftp'ed session files are exactly the same. They should be. So if they do not track the unique steam id or username, then it would not make a difference.

However, I have considered making a script that parses the information from the LIVE session files into a database and correlates them to the session file. The problem is that it is still possible to pretend to be a different driver. Plus it demands of the server that the scripts is run instantly. On the server where it is setup it is only possible to do this once in an hour.

So it would require that the server running the dedicated server is the same as the one hosting the web site and database - and that I program something in C# (which I am currently not capable of) or have total control of the php server.

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I've experienced what seems like a major bug in the log files. From our last league event one driver was completely missing in the qualify-log-file, and another person was gone from the logfile of the race. This makes it pretty impossible to maintain a website with race results. :(

Anyone else experienced this?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years