Dedicated Server - Data Usage Information Wanted

So I was thinking, what data usage does the dedicated server on GSC 2012 have?

Say, per car or per 20 cars, so basically how much upload speed it requires.

Any info would be awesome!

Thanks in advance ;)

Just a reccomendation. TEST....

As said by ISI as well, there are many factors influencing the bandwith used.
In theory, this post declares that with a 1 Mbit connection, you can host uptil 30 drivers....

I wish you good luck in doing that with a single Mbit connection without lag :)

Also, remember that your line is instable. It just about always is, at least for us normal people. Dedicated hosting companies have a lot more capacity then used, so they should experience less influence by this.

Just a reccomendation. TEST....

As said by ISI as well, there are many factors influencing the bandwith used.
In theory, this post declares that with a 1 Mbit connection, you can host uptil 30 drivers....

I wish you good luck in doing that with a single Mbit connection without lag :)

Also, remember that your line is instable. It just about always is, at least for us normal people. Dedicated hosting companies have a lot more capacity then used, so they should experience less influence by this.

Thanks.

Any recommendations on how to test, keeping in mind I do not know 30 people that will readily be available to help test it. I don't even know where to start.

Well, you can do an indicational test. Take a look at the post info from the ISI (rfactor2) engine (which is different by the way then the GSC engine).
96 Kbits/sec per user for server populations less than 10
256 Kbits/sec per user for server populations between 10 and 20
768 Kbits/sec per user for server populations between 20 and 30
So, a bit simply said,
10 users, multiply the usage of 1 driver times 10.
20 users, multiply the usage of 1 driver times 15
30 users, multiply the usage of 1 driver times 25

Reason for this increase, is the fact that positional data is more with more drivers. (note that its not increasing evenly)

What I did in the beginning of my server, was doing test on a public server.
Install a piece of software that monitors the usage of your network card. Turn off all other applications where possible, and take a loot at the usage over 10 minutes. This is your default data (so outside your dedicted server), which is being run. Think in checks to windows update, antivirus polling, stuff like that.

Now set up a public server, with an interesting car/track combo. keep it running for a while, and chech on your network usage.
With a little math, you can make reasonable accurate calculations about the use of the dediced server. Divide it through the number of drivers, and you have an indication of usage per user.

To be safe, I advise you to take at LEAST double capacity. So if you calculations tell you you need a 2Mbit connection, take at least 4. This will cover the dips in speed.

Next up, running extensive testing, so over a longer period of time. Join your own server, and ask people if all is going well.

That way, you should end up with at least some kind of data.

Well, you can do an indicational test. Take a look at the post info from the ISI (rfactor2) engine (which is different by the way then the GSC engine).
96 Kbits/sec per user for server populations less than 10
256 Kbits/sec per user for server populations between 10 and 20
768 Kbits/sec per user for server populations between 20 and 30
So, a bit simply said,
10 users, multiply the usage of 1 driver times 10.
20 users, multiply the usage of 1 driver times 15
30 users, multiply the usage of 1 driver times 25

Reason for this increase, is the fact that positional data is more with more drivers. (note that its not increasing evenly)

What I did in the beginning of my server, was doing test on a public server.
Install a piece of software that monitors the usage of your network card. Turn off all other applications where possible, and take a loot at the usage over 10 minutes. This is your default data (so outside your dedicted server), which is being run. Think in checks to windows update, antivirus polling, stuff like that.

Now set up a public server, with an interesting car/track combo. keep it running for a while, and chech on your network usage.
With a little math, you can make reasonable accurate calculations about the use of the dediced server. Divide it through the number of drivers, and you have an indication of usage per user.

To be safe, I advise you to take at LEAST double capacity. So if you calculations tell you you need a 2Mbit connection, take at least 4. This will cover the dips in speed.

Next up, running extensive testing, so over a longer period of time. Join your own server, and ask people if all is going well.

That way, you should end up with at least some kind of data.

That's great info, mate :D Thanks very much!

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back