Debate: Were FOM Intentionally Ignoring Mercedes in Japan?

Don't know who Brian France is, someone high up in Indycar I suppose, but I agree. Kudos to Ecclestone for getting F1 to where it is in terms of Global awareness, but he is more interested in power and money than he is in motor racing now. Too many bad decisions, too much control and too little regard for any opinion other than his own. Back OT I find it highly likely that he instructed the directors to give Mercedes the cold shoulder. I would like to see him step down as soon as possible, voluntarily or otherwise.

No Brian France is the Czar of Nascar the CEO and can do what ever he wants because it's a privately owned business. Many of the things Brian France has done with disregard for anybody but himself. He has a dictator type personality where it's his way or else. So if you knew who he was you may very much agree with my comparison. Since how you describe Bernie I would say the same for Brian.

While watching the race on Sky the commentators clearly said the lack of vision for Mercedes was to do with Red Bull needing an engine and Mercedes not complying with their requests, hence they are being punished by not being shown.

Don't know if it's true but that's what they said.

milton keyns mercedes are so boring they're ruining motorsport

Milton Keynes is the hometown to more than just Mercedes.

Winning is boring, the competition needs to up their game, exactly the same when red bull won every race, when Schumacher won every race and when eventually young Verstappen will win every race.

Milton Keynes is the hometown to more than just Mercedes.

Winning is boring, the competition needs to up their game, exactly the same when red bull won every race, when Schumacher won every race and when eventually young Verstappen will win every race.
How can the competition be up there when they need to be 2 seconds a lap quicker on chasis pace to outweight Mercs engine advantage???

Just compare the most dominant RedBull year (2011) to last year and you can see how competetive F1 still was during the most dominant RBR year: RBR won 63% of the races, Merc won 84% and non of the non Merc victories was down to pace. Spa was the crash, Canada the failing KERS and Hungaroring a general f*ck up by the Mercedes team. It is not like the rest of the field forgot how to build F1 cars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Formula_One_season#Results_and_standings
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Formula_One_season#Results_and_standings

How can the competition be up there when they need to be 2 seconds a lap quicker on chasis pace to outweight Mercs engine advantage???
Find a better engine supplier? There are more AAA brands in the world than just Mercedes, Ferrari, Honda and Renault.

And with sports come big budgets and those with the biggest budget eventually win. It's the same in football where no local club from my country will ever win the Champions League again since an insane amount of money flushed into (artificial) clubs such as Man City, Paris-SG, Chelsea and others.

Although without rule changes coming from the FIA to get rid of the non-testing rule and let teams just spend what they can afford I doubt new engine suppliers will ever join so you got a point there.

Maybe the smaller teams should show some balls and bring forward a united effort to say no to the FIA/FOM/Whatever and that they will pull out of F1 next season all together if their demands aren't met.

Wanna bet that rule changes are immediately implemented when 3/4 of the field plans to runs away.

Power to the people teams and Formula Revolution* is born :)

*Preferably over 20,000 revolutions per minute please

Find a better engine supplier? There are more AAA brands in the world than just Mercedes, Ferrari, Honda and Renault.

And with sports come big budgets and those with the biggest budget eventually win. It's the same in football where no local club from my country will ever win the Champions League again since an insane amount of money flushed into (artificial) clubs such as Man City, Paris-SG, Chelsea and others.

Although without rule changes coming from the FIA to get rid of the non-testing rule and let teams just spend what they can afford I doubt new engine suppliers will ever join so you got a point there.

Maybe the smaller teams should show some balls and bring forward a united effort to say no to the FIA/FOM/Whatever and that they will pull out of F1 next season all together if their demands aren't met.

Wanna bet that rule changes are immediately implemented when 3/4 of the field plans to runs away.

Power to the people teams and Formula Revolution* is born :)

*Preferably over 20,000 revolutions per minute please
Yep, I would love that, but most teams care to much for their own interest. Sauber is to close to Ferrari, Manor and Lotus are practically broke, Ferrari and Mercedes dont really care. RedBull and TR dont care as long as they get a good engine next year. Williams seem to be very happy now as they got a reasonable car and the best engine. The only ones that are really vocal about it are Force India and maybe McLaren.
So as long as the teams only care about their short term involvement there is no chance for a runaway series :(

The sad thing really is the token system, so that Honda practically has no chance to ever catch up regardless of what they spent. They are limited to their few tokens and then development is over thats not a way to attract new engine suppliers.

You forgot Vettel. :cool:

It's good for us fans when the top guys switch teams because you can see much better what they are bringing to the party. I used to think that the RB flattered Vettel but from this season's efforts he's obviously a much better driver than I thought he was.

Slightly mixed feelings about Verstappen. He has started very well for a "kid" but the fact that a 17 year old can drive these cars well makes me think that they are way too easy to drive for what should be the top driver's formula in the world.

It's good for us fans when the top guys switch teams because you can see much better what they are bringing to the party. I used to think that the RB flattered Vettel but from this season's efforts he's obviously a much better driver than I thought he was.

Slightly mixed feelings about Verstappen. He has started very well for a "kid" but the fact that a 17 year old can drive these cars well makes me think that they are way too easy to drive for what should be the top driver's formula in the world.
Saw an interview with Vettel on a german motoring show this year. He was asked about his first test where he was 17 or 18 or something and he drove a 2005 BMW V10 and he said that the car was so violent compared to anything else and he said his thoughts after a few laps was "Yep was fun to drive it once, but this is for real man and not for me".

It was always fun in the last years were Schumacher was around all the young guys came out of the car at places like Malaysia and Singapore looking beaten up and he barely broke a sweat. I am not saying the current crop isnt fit, but compared to some 40 year old they werent :D

Saw an interview with Vettel on a german motoring show this year. He was asked about his first test where he was 17 or 18 or something and he drove a 2005 BMW V10 and he said that the car was so violent compared to anything else and he said his thoughts after a few laps was "Yep was fun to drive it once, but this is for real man and not for me".

Saw a comparison at the weekend between current F1 and Super Formula (what Formula Nippon is called these days) and the F1 cars were only about 3 seconds quicker around Suzuka. Adjusting for the race distance, the winner of the recent Super Formula race would have finished 11th in the GP just outside the points. That just can't be right.

Saw a comparison at the weekend between current F1 and Super Formula (what Formula Nippon is called these days) and the F1 cars were only about 3 seconds quicker around Suzuka. Adjusting for the race distance, the winner of the recent Super Formula race would have finished 11th in the GP just outside the points. That just can't be right.
Seems Fernando was right about moaning about the engine

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 194 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 141 7.5%
  • < 5 years