GT5 David Coulthard - Are You as Fast?

6102250893_4da1cc9283.jpg

By now you've probably seen the in-game news article or PS Blog entry regarding tomorrow's special event. For those that haven't, today (Monday 5th September) at 14:20 GMT, David Coulthard will drive a Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG around an as-yet-undisclosed track somewhere in Europe. At the very same time, a group of six competition winners will race against him in real-time using GT5 in "the ultimate battle of virtual vs reality racing". The winner gets an all expenses paid trip to the Brazilian F1 Grand Prix! (Not including Mr Coulthard of course, since the BBC pays his way...)

You can watch the event live right here!

For those not lucky enough to have won the competition for the live race (or to have even heard about it...), a special seasonal will be available with the highly original title, 'Mercedes-Benz Driving Event'. Same car, same track, and a full online leaderboard so that you and your friends can compare yourselves to the Flying Scotsman himself.

Join the Action!

To mark the event I thought it would be fun to see how RaceDepartment members stack up in the form of our own little competition. All you have to do to take part is have a crack at the seasonal event, make a note of your best time, and post it here. A leaderboard will be created so that you can keep track of how you are doing compared to your fellow RD'ers. According to the PS Blog, the seasonal will run from 5th - 26th September, so our competition will run for the same period.

At the end of that time, the member with the best time will win a little prize. They will get to choose the cars and tracks to be used for a week of GT5 Club racing! (Two events) Ooh-la-la! :eek: So put on your kilt, scoff some haggis, jump in your Merc and burn some rubber!

:f1:​

[Note: Please include your PSN ID when posting your lap time. This is so that at the end of the competition, I can add you as a friend to verify your lap time via the in-game leaderboards. Please DO NOT add me until I send a request... I don't want to be bombarded with messages! Thank you!]

David Coulthard: 1:16.32
Jason Birt: 1:16.86 (Real-time event winner)

RaceDepartment Leaderboard

1) Matt Clark - 1:16.278
2) Ross Garland - 1:17.656
3) Andy White - 1:18.083
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Update: Due to a glitch that allows people to significantly reduce their lap times, I will now be checking the full replay of the winning lap.

I personally didnt enter because even though I set a time I had to go incredibly slow due to the rediculous way this track is set up, knock a single cone and you lose this lap and get the next lap also invalidated, I have also driven on the racing line before through hammerhead and had my time invalidated.

OMG, I have completely missed this thread as I have extremely busy last few weeks..:work: I was thinking to make a decent lap on TGTT, and tried shortly on last sunday with result 1:17.627, but that was of course before track fix. Actually it was not until this morning I read about seasonal leaderboard reset.

If this is thread is still valid I'd like make a new try.:thumbup:

Hey people Im new to this forum, I have a 1:16.817 On the new revised track, I did had a 1:16.325 which was completely legit but then they reset and now I cant get near it :/

Today morning event was soon to be closed and I had improved my time to 1:17.525 when I entered to the track for my last attempt ( it was 2 minutes before closing time :)

That appeared to be a dream shot giving me 1:16.923, which honestly is best I could hope. Especially I am happy with first sectors, in first check point I was maybe 0.25s and in second checkpoint 0.5s ahead my previous record. In last sector I did not improve that much though.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 337 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 465 38.9%