Dave Ryan Appointed new Manor Racing Director

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ryan.jpg

Hugely successful ex-McLaren Sporting Director, Dave Ryan, has been appointed to the newly created position of Racing Director at the struggling F1 minnows, Manor Marussia, with immediate effect.

Following recent announcements of team founder John Booth and Sporting Director Graham Lowdon's imminent departure, Manor team owner Stephen Fitzpatrick was quick to bring on board the highly experienced 61 year old New Zealander who makes his return to Grand Prix racing after leaving McLaren under difficult circumstances back at the beginning of the 2009 F1 Season.

"I'm delighted to announce Dave's appointment in the newly created position of Racing Director," said Fitzpatrick.

"Along with our new Mercedes Benz power unit, technical partnership with Williams and recent additions to the design and technical team, Dave's arrival is another important step towards our goal of creating a truly competitive racing team."

“Having spent time with Stephen and understood his vision for the future, it is clear he has ensured there is a strong platform from which the team can make big steps forward in the seasons ahead,” Ryan said. “There is clearly a big challenge ahead and a lot of work to do, but I can’t wait to meet the wider team and get down to business.“​

Speaking of the confirmation of Booth and Lowdon's departures at seasons end, Fitzptrick went on to say,

"I have the utmost respect for them as individuals and for all they have achieved, both with this team and in their long careers in motorsport, I would like to take this opportunity to thank them for their hard work and dedication during this season in particular. Like every great story, there comes a time to start a new chapter."​

With additional back of house staff additions in recent weeks and a promise to bolster the squad yet further over the winter months 2016 promises to be somewhat of a departure from the norm for the British team, coupled with top of the class Mercedes engines 2016 could yet prove to be the most successful yet in the teams short history on the Grand Prix grid.

The appointment of Ryan is strong evidence that the current owners wish to resource up the team in order to fight for higher race positions and the experience gained from Ryan's 34 years at McLaren will go a long way towards bridging the gap that Booth and Lowdon's departures will no doubt create.

In other news speculation suggests that the squad have sounded out former F1 driver Alexander Wurz for the job of Team Principal. Having recently announced his retirement from Motorsports after the final race of the current WEC season in Bahrain, Wurz told the BBC he had been approached. “I would have preferred it not be out in public but I can’t deny it,”

I for one fail to see how not having such talents as John Booth and Graham Lowdon can be of benefit to a team such as Manor, lets hope this is the first step in building a brighter future for the squad and not the first sign that the walls are crumbling over in Dinnington.

Do you see the recent staff changes at Manor as a positive sign or a warning signal? Leave your comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back