Dan Wheldon 1978 – 2011

In a Formula 1 crash, the cars wouldn't (shouldn't) have set on fire so quickly after being involved in an accident. I seriously hope IndyCar can learn from this accident, make their cars safer, and ensure something like this never happens again.

Rest In Peace Dan

RIP Dan.

I sat horrified watching last night. My son had come downstairs to watch with me when the entire incident unfolded in front of us. My son was visibly shaken and after 30 minutes or so excused himself, just saying that perhaps this would be Indy cars "Imola" moment. (Because he watched "Senna" with me last week and I explained how his death altered F1 for better or worse forever)

I've had a little look back as far as 1994 to check and I wonder how many "Imola" moments the US Open Wheelers need? I think they need to sort the series out, but hey, what do I know? I know it's part of the sport, but I'm sure more can and probably will be done.

RIP Dan

I was in shock when I saw the crash and more so when news of Wheldon's death. It's a part of the sport that will always be there. To blame the car or whatever else is just ridiculous, after all it's an open cockpit. At the speeds their travelling it's just a matter of time, and as a driver they know it every time they get in the car. I wonder if this will somehow affect the design of next years car, after all angles have been looked at.

So are we gonna get a Jackie Stewart-esque character on the scene to clean things up? Or just wait till someone else dies before this dangerous sport is regulated properly.

34 cars on an oval that tight is just damn stupidity, a ludicrous decision obviously from a thick pratt with $'s in his eyes. And now Dan's gone. Someone needs to pay for this. I'm so angry.

Rest in Peace Dan, you will be missed :(

Seeing this remembers me when I was 13 and saw my big hero Kenny Bräck crash in Texas.
The accident and the news articles the following days after was terrible but luckily he survived thanks to the safety of the cars and a lot of luck.
I'm saddened that Dan didn't have the same luck, I haven't read up much on what injuries he sustained so I won't comment on Indycar's safety.
I only know it saved my hero once and Dario Franchitti twice, too bad it couldn't save Dan :(

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back