1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Damaged Gearbox Every Race

Discussion in 'GRID Autosport' started by Peter Hooper, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Is anybody else finding that the gearbox is suffering damage at every race or practice session. No matter what I do the car constantly has a damaged gearbox from about 3 or 4 laps and then 5th gear disappears shortly after. It's always 5th gear that is lost.

I've tried altering my shifting technique but to no avail, it still keeps happening.

This has happened in any of the touring car categories I have driven so far in races of 5 laps or more.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  2. I use the automatic gearbox and my engineer also tells me (after 3-4 laps) that my gearbox were damaged... I never experienced any consequences though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rob

Rob
    XBO: OctoberDusk06 Premium Member

The same thing happens to me, but I'm not sure if it would happen online, since I have not driven a long race there yet.

4. 5 laps is a long race :rolleyes: Uh oh :thumbsdown:

• Haha Haha x 2
  5. From what I have read it will happen in a long race to but will just take longer to surface. The engine damage in shorter races is scaled.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    • Beer Beer x 1
  6. Just been using those for testing purposes Colin, you can have much longer races but it's pretty much like the BTCC with very intense races rather than longer ones like F1.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rob

Rob
    XBO: OctoberDusk06 Premium Member

No worries on line Peter. :thumbsup:

8. I lost 5th 3 laps from home in the 1st race.

• Beer Beer x 1
  9. I could confirm that has happened to me on an online race Class C open wheel on 8th lap and it was really annoying

• Haha Haha x 1
  10. all tuned

• Beer Beer x 2
  11. Are you hitting the redline either waiting on the start or during any shifting? I did the Indy race last night and I had no issues with gears at all. I adjust my gears but I also do not redline the engine.

• Beer Beer x 1
  12. I didn't lose any gears in the races on Monday night but did seem to lose some acceleration towards the end of the races... one of the problems online is that you have no feedback from your engineer so who knows what is happening really.

13. I do tend to go into the red more than I should I think and thats one of the areas that I have started to try to change. One of the problems with the untuned cars is that the gears are not ideally suited and I found myself either in too low a gear or too high.. eg in the first sector at Mondays races there is a fast right-hander followed by the tighter left (turns 5 and 6) and shifting up to 5th loses speed but staying in 4th means you redline. There are several like that I found. With tuning you can eradicate that problem but without tuning thats not possible.

14. Karl Fuss

Karl Fuss
    last but not least

I find that slowing for the corners is easier coming from a higher gear to a lower one Peter. The example youre giving of turns 5 and 6 at the Indy GP circuit is a good one. I always tried to be in 4th gear through turn 5 and then up to 5th gear before the corner at turn 6 slowing and downshifting to 3rd. I didn't manage it on every lap, but probably 90% or them.
    Same thing with Turn 8 after the short infield straight. I always made sure i had upshifted to 6th gear just before the braking zone for turn 8 then downshift to 4th gear and carry the speed right up to turn 9 braking zone.

• Beer Beer x 1
  15. Yeah I agree with that Karl but my problem was I was going into the red quite soon after turn 4 and shifting lost me some speed if I went up to 5th at that point. Leaving it later was better from the speed perspective but would mean staying in the red longer and I assume that sort of situation is where the gearbox problem is coming from.

I was the same at that other corner too but now and then especially if I got a poor exit off the previous corner I would remain in 5th.