custom pedals

Hi There , i am starting with simracing again.
I bought a secondhand fanatec csw v1 wheel just to get started and ordered alu profiles to build a rig.
In the time i am gathering all the stuff that i need (seat ,pc , monitors etc.) i started to build my own pedal set

I want a solid set of pedals , hydraulic and with a realistic clutch feel.
I'm still working on it , now working on the electronics and ordered different springs for the throttle and clutch.

some pics:

master cilinder and slave

alu stock

did some reading on the hall sensor in the bic pen concept , i made a fast test setup to try it out and it seems to work pretty good once you have found the sweet spot for the sensor.

now make a final design , was even better to have a rotating pedal shaft

Upvote 0
I made a plastic housing with a bearing , aluminium shaft/magnet holder and a plastic arm , pedal resolution is now 2200 and linearity is perfect!

the good thing is that i can use the same design for the clutch , i only need to fix it to the side and solder the sensor and protect it.
i could even make a plate on top with the wire epoxyed in and have a dust free design..

Upvote 0
Maybe with this type of bearing would be nice to make a rotating shaft mount, they are made in zinc plated alloy and stainless steel, zinc plated are cheaper but i think all the blocks are made of zinc alloy only bearing is stainless steel cause they all look the same, searching for pillow block bearing you got them.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2Pcs...ow-Block-KP001-12mm-Bearings/32385705478.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2Pcs..._77_91_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_9

Im happy you got a nice configuration for the hall, if you want full resolution you can throw thicker magnets into the configuration but i dont think is needed more than you got, cheers.

Upvote 0
Maybe with this type of bearing would be nice to make a rotating shaft mount, they are made in zinc plated alloy and stainless steel, zinc plated are cheaper but i think all the blocks are made of zinc alloy only bearing is stainless steel cause they all look the same, searching for pillow block bearing you got them.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2Pcs...ow-Block-KP001-12mm-Bearings/32385705478.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2Pcs..._77_91_80,searchweb201644_5,searchweb201560_9

Im happy you got a nice configuration for the hall, if you want full resolution you can throw thicker magnets into the configuration but i dont think is needed more than you got, cheers.

for more resolution do i need a bigger diameter or could more lengt help also? i now have 6x6mm
for the final version of my pedals i will make the hall in the pedalshaft so better do it right then :)

Upvote 0
you need them to be thicker wider, with same diameter but wider will help or a stronger one on place them nearer the sensor the closer the sensor the bigger the sensitivity.

Upvote 0
I am jealous , all the tools to make the parts.
Fantastic stuff here @Johand, what's the cost of the materials? The quality of these is way higher than most (if not all) of the commercial equipment out there.

Upvote 0
Thanks man! the cost is always disappointing , i have this set almost ready and i am thinking to bring out a set to the public if there would be any interest.
the wilwood parts and the electronics alone are over 300euro , then the bearings , shafts , shaftsupports and all the shippingcost for all the parts , it all ads up verry quickly.
for this set alone i have about 100 euro on shippingcost
the aluminium is not so expensive , only takes a lot of time to make the parts out of it.

I am now thinking about to bring a set to the public if there would be any interest , but first it has to be perfect!!

will post some pics of the new design soon , would like to hear others opinion about it..

Upvote 0
i think people will be interested on that high quality machining pedals, maybe a load cell version for that people looking more on a medium range price, alibaba and aliexpress are nice place to look for some things in order to cut costs with free shipping most times.

Maybe if costs are nice, i could order a special version of the pedals, i got my ideas i could give you little design modifications but in general im in love with your set, very nice done!! and waiting to final version with moving shaft and sensor on the shaft.

Upvote 0
I have my pedalset so far ready , only waiting for 3/8-24 tap to make an adapter for the pressure sensor , hope it arrives today so i could test it in the weekend.
I will make some pics or maybe a video when testing.

I have already drawn the clutch in the new design , looks even much better , just a quick render of what i have drawn sofar

Upvote 0
So last weekend i mounted the pedals to my rig and my brother came over with his monitors and a gamepc.
Had some trouble getting the sensor to work because the pin layout was a little different then what i had in a pdf.
After i had fixed that i tested it out with only the pedals and no wheel in R3E , just with keyboard for steering.
This was just to feel the brake , later i finished my wheelmount , i adjusted the pedals to what i think was the right travel and height and spring tension etc.
now i have tested it for 3 days in AC ,PCARS , and last night and today in R3E wich i like the most at this moment.

The pedals feel verry good , i am really happy with them , only some small improvements to be made.
Now i must say that i didn't have used the clutch much because i don't have a h-shifter , but it feels verry good.

The brakepedal is verry hard , i can only compare to the alu fanatec v1 and v2 pedals but this feels much better.
It is easyer to docile the brake in to the corner.

I made some pics

Last edited:
Upvote 0
GREAT pedal set Johand! One thing I've always wanted from a custom pedal set(and maybe keep costs down) is to make a universal pedal plate bracket that is slotted from north to south center. This way you open yourself up to letting folks finish it off with the pedal plates of their choosing. And being slotted like this, allows you to choose from a wealth of plates out there.

Upvote 0
GREAT pedal set Johand! One thing I've always wanted from a custom pedal set(and maybe keep costs down) is to make a universal pedal plate bracket that is slotted from north to south center. This way you open yourself up to letting folks finish it off with the pedal plates of their choosing. And being slotted like this, allows you to choose from a wealth of plates out there.

Thanks! yes that was the intention , and also by mounting the slave somewhere else on the alu profiles you can invert the pedals.
My new design will have the option to mount them to profiles or a piece of alu plate.
doing the machining myself i could maybe offer a customer specs mountingplate.
But have to calculate first for what price i could offer a set......

Upvote 0
spend some houres drawing up a new idea for the clutch , designed the pedalarm out of solid , adjustable pedalratio..

In my first proto i used the alu hardened shafts with igus drylin bearings , i think these will wear out soon , the force on the pedal is not only in the length of the shaft but also pushes from above on the shafts.
The idea was to replace this with precision steel shafts and steel lineair bearings , just did this design with a hiwin carrier on rails , these are also used in cnc machines so i think these wil hold up for a verry long time in the pedalset!

Upvote 0
Oh my god! You are amazing!! I atempted to make a small cockpit and i made a POS hahaha

This is sooo impressive, but i could never afford something like this... I hope you decide to sell them because they are great!

Upvote 0
I love it Johan!!
I do have 2 questionmarks on the new design tho.
1. Will you still maintain a progressive clutch? I don't have that on mine and I have to say I miss that a little bit from the Heusinkveld Pro's.
2. The way you mounted the potentiometer, it looks like the screw for mounting could be at an awkward place when the need to move the pedal comes up. I have that issue on my pedals now and it takes the piss out of me sometimes.

Otherwise they look absolutely awesome!

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back