Cultural Differences (RaceDepartment)

Hi,

I've been a member here for a while now and do like the community (reason for being here). Maybe my post doesn't belong here and maybe it has been mentioned before but I'll post it in anycase because it is kinda important to me in trying to understand people around here...

In the last few weeks I've seen a lot of flaming/abrupt posts coming from all sides. I am sure that is not always the meaning behind them but they do read kinda strange from time to time.

What seems as an abrupt comment to me might look quite ok to someone else from the same or different background (country/language/culture/personality/mood/etc).

For me personally it is if things are sometimes on a knife edge around here (affraid to step to either side).

I am from SA and our sense of humor and for that matter everything will be different from other nations even the Dutch. Interpretations will also vary depending on how it is said, sentence structured etc. The other variable is words by read. It is extremely difficult to read/judge the deeper meaning of posts when you take all these factors into account. Yes, I know not everything have deeper meaning but that is not to say some people don't see it that way.

Not everyone is gifted when it comes to expressing themselves in an understandable manner not even thinking of making it neutral for other people to see it in the same light.

I am dyslexic so just typing this into some order is one hellava job although reading is a bit easier but most of the time people see things in the same spirit but breakdowns do occur.

My question: Can't we all be a little bit more tollerant towards each other? Can't we all not give that one inch extra when it comes to comment, chats, posts, spoken words, etc?

10/1 I missed a lot of points and have 90% of the words in the wrong order but that is not what is important but the meaning...

Make of this post what you want but it is meant in good spirit and me trying to understand other nations/cultures better and not to see confrontation in everything.

I do accept responsibility for grammer and spelling and no offense intended towards ANYONE :D

I agree with you Pieter. Sometimes me too can't understand words here. But we can't do a thing about it. This is an international forum. What can we do about this is to respect each other and try to understand. After these i don't think there is a problem with that. :) Also we need to be a little bit more careful about the jokes we do. Some jokes are nice for some nations but it can be very very rude or something for other. Still i don'T think we have a problem like that at RD. Everyone is angelic here :chat:

Its not unique to the forum, its common on the internet.

Typed words do not convey any meanings or emotion. The smilies help for sure, but as with everything - everyone interprets everything in a slightly different way. No-one is right, no-one is wrong.

:)

The international/regional implications are not even confined to the interent. I don't feel there are huge problems around here. You have to remember that some people know some better than others, posts directed between 2 old timers might be different than those to someone they don't know because they know their limits and sense of humour more.

They are valid points you make but it is like Nick says, a standard issue problem with internet and all "Lo-Fi" forms of communication.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back